• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

What to modify first on a Mach 1?

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 07/26/07 08:12 AM

A friend of mine's getting ready to buy an '03 Mach 1. He's wondering what his first mod should be on the car. Any suggestions?  

SilentNoise
New User
Posted: 08/22/07 11:41 PM

Subframes and springs first and foremost. This should be done on every Mustang though.

If you can afford to add a blower to the Mach1 it'd be a monster because it's got an 03-04 Cobra motor under the hood already.

I've heard a lot of people say to upgrade to 31-spline axle shafts and diff as soon as you can, but I have no idea why when there's other things that would be more worthwhile.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention exhaust as well. The Mach1s breath in really well, so helping it exhale will be good for the car.  
Steve
1983 Mustang GT
Wolf Pack car Club - V8 Performance enthusiasts out of Edmonton, AB, Canada

03CobraJet
New User
Posted: 12/18/07 02:34 PM

The Mach1s already come with sub frame connecters. As far as the suspension it depends on how he is going to drive the car or race it. I have an 03 Mach 1. The first thing he should do is put a shifter in it, like one from hurst or steeda. I would put a 4.30 gear in it and get the dioblo sport preditor programer, then he can calibrate his speedo for the gear change and other performance upgrades in the future. I also put a set of hooker long tubes and there matching off road x pipe on my car. The motor in the Mach 1 is more the the mercury Marauder motor.  

INCREDIBLERAMON1975
New User
Posted: 12/04/08 10:14 PM

THE FIST THING UR FRIEND SHOULD GO FOR IS STEEDA COLD AIR KIT OR C&L COLD AIR KIT WITH THE MASS AIR MM,AND STEEDA UNDERDRIVE PULLEY ALSO HE CAN GET ACCUFAB THROTTLE BODY BBK X PIPE,SLP LOUD MOUTH EXHAUST AND DIABLO PREDATOR TUNER U CAN GET THAT AT AMERICANMUSCLE.COM  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/05/08 07:31 AM

Patrick, the very first thing the guy needs to add is 4.30 gears, and everything else 03COBRAJET suggested. If there's one thing the Mach 1s need it's gear. Then a tune, exhaust, and the cold air/underdrive pulley stuff. You have to be careful with power adders on the Mach 1 engines because they have raised compression ratios, but without the 03 Cobra internals. The Mach 1 engines can't handle a lot of boost like Cobra engines. A built short block will surely be the result of a lot of boost. LOL  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

2004mach1
New User
Posted: 08/02/10 05:15 PM

Agreed, gears are needed more than anything - it'll pull well, but you have to get it wound up to do so.  After that I'd add a midpipe and catback (and long tube headers if your budget allows).  I had trouble nailing down a good Mach 1 tune from Diablo - they worked tirelessly with me, but in the end I walked away because, as hard as they tried, they never could get it right.  Maybe SCT would be better?
Remember the Mach 1 engine is NOT the same as the Cobra engine - so throwing a bunch of boost at it will result in bent rods or broken pistons or both.  

CampbellMotorSports
New User
Posted: 01/12/12 07:24 PM

you might think about  410 gears.that what i did to my 04 mach1 .its in 5.0 magazine.  campbellmotorsports.us  

firehorse5_0
User
Posted: 01/17/12 02:08 PM

First thing he needs is sticky tires. My bro has an '04 Mach with long tube BBKs and a bama custom tune. He is running low 13s on 245 nitto drag raidals with stock 3.55 gears. Plan on having a few extra 2nd gear syncros and sliders on hand.