• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

89 Mustang GT 5.0 Motor needs some life.What can I do with no money

riryders
New User
Posted: 04/01/08 03:14 PM

I have an 89 Gt that has a full exhaust and full drivetrain done. Now after that was all done she doesnt move like she used to. Now it seems like the motor is tired.The motor is completely stock. What is my cheapest way of going about getting more power? I know im being cheap but i have a son to take care of and this will be his car one day.  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/02/08 06:23 AM

If you don't have any money, there's not much you can do. I don't understand your post, though. You say the car has full exhaust and full drivetrain done, but then you say the engine is tired. Did you modify everything else, and now the engine is tired?  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

mustangsandff
New User
Posted: 04/04/08 08:28 AM

have you thought about a mild performance chip? im asuming that you havnt converted to carburetion. they are really not that expensive.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/04/08 10:18 AM

You can swap in a better cam for not much money. Get yourself an E303 cam, new springs and maybe lifters, that won't break a budget and will wake the motor up.  

riryders
New User
Posted: 04/09/08 03:53 AM

The car sat for 2 winters when I had enough money I through a clutch,clutch cable,T5,driveshaft and I waited on the gears because of upper lower control arms were shot.I also through headers,magna flow exhaust,with an x-pipe,spark plugs and wires, and a AEM dryflow intake. After all that I went to pick up the car and it just didnt move like it use to. Sounded great just had no power. I have money I just dont have ur money thats what I meant. I cant put another 1000 bucks in it this year. So I ask what can I do to get that motor to push alil more for cheap money.  

riryders
New User
Posted: 04/09/08 03:53 AM

You think that would be my better choice?  

riryders
New User
Posted: 04/09/08 04:16 AM

The car sat for 2 winters when I had enough money I through a clutch,clutch cable,T5,driveshaft and I waited on the gears because of upper lower control arms were shot.I also through headers,magna flow exhaust,with an x-pipe,spark plugs and wires, and a AEM dryflow intake. After all that I went to pick up the car and it just didnt move like it use to. Sounded great just had no power. I have money I just dont have ur money thats what I meant. I cant put another 1000 bucks in it this year. So I ask what can I do to get that motor to push alil more for cheap money.  

stonepony
New User
Posted: 06/06/08 11:24 AM

Try to advance your timing and run 93 octane.  

0chet347.
New User
Posted: 06/08/08 08:57 AM

bypas you smog pump and remove the air silencer  

82gt347
New User
Posted: 07/04/08 07:56 PM

dude get it tuned you can have everything without a dyno tune itll never et right i dont know where u live but i can get an hour of dyno time for 4 bucks here in texas  

82gt347
New User
Posted: 07/04/08 07:57 PM

Icon Quote82gt347:
dude get it tuned you can have everything without a dyno tune itll never et right i dont know where u live but i can get an hour of dyno time for 4 bucks here in texas

make that 40 not 4  

gtomustang
New User
Posted: 10/24/08 04:16 AM

First and formost, what is the piston ring seal like?  Forget power adders, if its all gonna blow into the crankcase!

A tune can help, so can redoing the suspension and drivetrain so that what power you make, actually gets to the ground.  Did they adjust the clutch pedal when they got done?  My garage didn't, and all it was, was just putting your foot under the pedal, and pulling up.  simple, but you'd think they'd know that.

what exactly do you mean by down on power, is it thruout the whole RPM range? Something may have gone wrong while it was sitting, independant of all the work you had done...  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible