• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1986'tranny/motor swap info needed

ktm-791
New User
Posted: 11/21/08 11:47 PM

hello  i have a 1986 5.0L gt(hatchback) and im looking at a new tranny as im planing to put a 450-500 hp motor in the car.
it currently has and automatic and i would like to swap for a stronger automatic,what kind of automatic do i have? and what kind should i be looking at? . ( i do not know how to tell witch tranny it has it goes{P-R-N-OD-D-1})

also if you have a motor build thats running around 450-500hp to your wheels my price range for engine parts is 4000.00-$5000.00please post it with your rearend gears , as i have a macheinest avalible to do boring/porting but i do not know about clearance issues of parts in motor so i cannot collect part numbers for my build because of that lack of noledge and with that im hoping that some one here can give me a hand in chosing the right combination.

Thanks
Ryan Harder (AkA Tha Chronic)  

pwmustang
New User
Posted: 11/27/08 09:23 AM

I would be glad to help you. I run a performance shop in N.C. called JP Performance. The trans you would need that would do the best job is the C4 trans. I have one at my shop. It does need to be rebuilt. You can rebuild one for your needs for about $200.00-$300.00 . It would hold up fine. Your trans is  called AOD. The C4 will bolt right in. As for the motor to get 450-500hp out of it you would need to rebuild it with better internals. The crank will hold but the rods will not. The pistons would be best to replace to. You would probably have $500.00 to 700.00 in pistons and rods. To get that kinda power out of that motor you would need to go with AFR 185 heads and a good matching intake, and cam. Are you going carb or fuel injection?  

ktm-791
New User
Posted: 11/29/08 01:02 PM

fuel injection and i will spend around 10000 between motor and tranny and (ignition and engine computer)) ... i just wanna build engine and tranny and drop in wire and tune and roll out u know what i mean ... i work to much to *** around.... last project took 2 years to get motor and *** all done and in and running cause i couldent ever do anything to it while im at work