• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Converting from EFI to carburetor

lpp5.0
User
Posted: 01/04/09 12:43 PM

How easy would it be to convert a 1988 5.0 HO w/EFI over to a 4-barrel carburetor set up. Aside from the carb, manifold and a different distributor/coil and wire setup, what else would need to be done. Would the current alternator set up be compatible with the new set up?

What would be the best manifold, carburetor and electronic distributor combination for this motor. The engine is a bone-stock 5.0 HO and I'm not looking to do any extra mods to the engine.

Being that this is a 20 year old car its something that I may consider in the near future if I'm unable to get itrunning right. Sometimes its good to weigh other options  

PSTEWART
New User
Posted: 01/05/09 12:47 PM

You are going to need to buy the msd dist, coil, 6al box. you are going to need a throttle cable for a 85 mustang. any duel pane intake and a holley 600 CARBURETOR IS ALL YOU NEED. Any thing bigger then that it want run good. YOU are going to need to hook up a fuel pump at the back. And take out the one in the tank. You can buy a different pick up tube are just put in a 3/8 fuel line. The alternator will work fine. You are going need to chang valve cover's. Need one's for caburetor engine. You should be able to change everything over in about 4 to 5 hours.  

f150vilan
New User
Posted: 01/20/09 08:03 PM

im also needing some quick info. i have a 87 f150 with a built but carbed 90 mustang 306 with a f cam. it has everything i need even the mech fuel pump now to do the swap but im going nuts on what to do about a dizzy now. it has the stock dizzy and wanted to know since i sold the ecu and all if i could just wire in a msd 6al or something to the stock dizzy i have or something i found a flamethrower HEI dizzy but hesitant about GM like items on my ford. what should i do? im in the middle of this now and dont know where to turn. heres whats current. holley 600, weiand intake, worked e7 heads, f303 cam, mech pump, stock dizzy msd cap TFI, msd TFI coil. any suggestions would be great. just looking for some ignition advice. and have sold the other engine and ecu so cant stay with EFI.  

PSTEWART
New User
Posted: 01/22/09 08:42 AM

YOU JUST NEED TO BUY MSD DIST.  

PSTEWART
New User
Posted: 01/22/09 08:46 AM

THE MSD WILL HOOK RIGHT UP. YOU CAN NOT USE THE FACTOR DIS. PLUS IF YOU HAVE ALLREADY HAVE MSD 6AL BOX. THEN GET THE DIST, TOO.  

302PONY
New User
Posted: 03/23/09 11:53 AM

MSD setup is great way to go, I have the 6AL box, MSD Dist, MSD Coil and MSD 8mm spark plug wires with Bosch platinum plugs, fires everytime!  
www.customgaugepanels.com