• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1992 gt a good buy?

filthpig
New User
Posted: 07/30/09 07:02 AM

Hey

I am new to the whole mustang scene..hell I am new to the "Cars older then 2000" scene. The last year or so I have been obsessed to the fox body mustang although I have no experiance with them. Anyway I have been eyeing this 1992 mustang gt thats for sale down the road and before I invent the money into it I just wanted the opinion of people who know what they are talking about. I plan on putting a lot of work into over the years but I was curious to know if it is worth the investment..are parts difficult to find for the car? In ten years will I feel like I am in a National Treasure movie to find what I need to maintain my car. Again I have no prior "restoration" experiance. Thanks for your input.  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/31/09 06:10 AM

If you are obsessed with Fox body Mustangs you owe it to yourself to at least give it a go. Get some details on the car you're looking at because if it turns out to be a piece of junk, you'll never want another Mustang, and we don't want that. Parts are all over the place for Fox bodies so don't worry about that. They are relatively inexpensive to maintain as well. Just take your time, get solid advice, and go for it.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

Sharad
User
Posted: 07/31/09 07:07 AM

Good advice from Johnson. Get someone that knows these cars to check it out and make sure it's solid. From there, your options are limited only by your bank account. The aftermarket for these cars is out of control! You want it, you've got it. You will absolutely have a blast. These are addicting little boogers, man. I just picked another one up this past weekend. I lost count somewhere around 35 Mustangs that I've owned. (I'm 33 yrs old)

Personal advice: if you're just learning about these cars, and how to work on them I need to give you some perspective. First of all, they are not an investment. Buy some gold if you're looking to invest. This stuff is just a hobby. Second, if you don't already have a subscription to 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine, get one. There is some solid technical information every month. You can even search this website for previous tech articles. Third, and this one hits close to home... Don't buy a 17 yr old project car and use it for your daily driver unless you absolutely have to. It's much less stressful when you have something else to drive while you're tinkering with your "fun" car. Lastly, don't hesitate to ask questions here, or on boards like www.stangbangerz.com, www.hardcore50.com, etc. You can learn a lot from people who have "been there-done that."

Good luck man. I hope you get the car. These fox body mustangs are a blast!!!  
Sharad Raldiris - 1989 LX 5.0

filthpig
New User
Posted: 08/01/09 10:17 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The car has been owned by the same person for the last 13 years and while shes owned it its been garaged during the winter, which makes me feel good. I will have to take a closer look though. And your right..investment is a bad word..I'm not buying a Babe Ruth rookie card...(lol) Again thanks for the input...I feel better!  

rollin_92gt
New User
Posted: 08/10/09 11:46 AM

All great points made. Now, if you have access to CARFAX, run it on that car. I bought my car from a lady too, back in '95 and couldn't be happier with it. But, I did run a Carfax a few years ago and it came up that the car had been in an accident. Well...the body shop did an outstanding job because I didn't notice it.

The mod's on these cars are plentiful, if it's not made you probably don't need it. If you get the car, let us know and I hope you enjoy it.

Take care,

Allen  

lpp5.0
User
Posted: 08/27/09 05:32 PM

Sounds like you found a good car.