• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

rotating assembly choices

blloyd985
New User
Posted: 11/30/09 11:13 AM

im trying to decide if i want to build the .030 over 302  block that i have or if i want to go 351+. i would rather go with the windsor but i have this nice fresh block sitting here waiting for a buildup. my goal is to reach 400-450hp naturally aspirated. (easier to do with the 351). basically i want to know which company offers a better/affordable stroker kit. i know there is dss and coast hp among many others but what kits do you guys recommend. keep in mind the hp goal and i do want to use forged internals. thanks guys  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/01/09 07:09 AM

If you already have the 302 block, I would go with that one. It will be tough to get 400hp at the wheels, but if you're talking about crank horsepower I think that is in the realm of possibility. If you're looking for this kind of horsepower, you aren't going to be able to skimp on the stroker kit. You're going to need a strong base to build from, and you can't build on price. Get the best you can afford, and you'll have to live with the results. Any of the advertisers in 5.0 will be able to provide what you need. Also, choose a good machine shop for the short block work, too. Don't cut any corners if you can afford to. Good luck.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

blloyd985
New User
Posted: 12/03/09 01:02 PM

the block is already finished and ready for build. im a tech at a ford dealer so im just going to put it togethere here on some down time. i think i'm going to bite the bullet and build a stout 331. if i stick with flat top pistons,can i go with a lower cc head for now to raise the compression to around 9+ and later on get a larger cc head to drop it and be blower friendly?  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/03/09 02:40 PM

Sounds like you need to make some calls to different engine builders, or manufacturers to see what the best choice would be. A flat-top would be nice, but valve reliefs would be nice to have as insurance.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

blloyd985
New User
Posted: 12/04/09 09:20 AM

thanks johnson. keep up the good work.