• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

95 Mario Andretti edition??

Redden3056
New User
Posted: 03/31/10 09:01 PM

Just joined the forum and got a question? I came across and bought a 95 convertible GT. It's a 5.0, manual. At the end of the pin stripping it has "Mario andretti edition". It not painted, it's just a sticker. I asked the previous owner about it and he said that Conoco, I sure he means the petroleum company, had 50 of them for a giveaway and was backed by Mario Andretti. Only thing I can see different it the pin stripping and aftermarket wheels painted the same color of car, which is red. It has rear spoiler, fog lights, cruise, power everything, but cloth seats. Is it a GT or GTS? How can I tell? And anymore info in the "Andretti edition" if possible.  

chassisbender
New User
Posted: 04/08/10 11:29 AM

got me, sounds like someone came up with a brilliant idea to put stickers on something and call it special to get publicity or money or something  
5.0, gt40P 1.98 int. 1.58 ex., 1.6 rr, guides and hardened rods, x303 cam vic jr int 650 holley t-5 3.73's

TheWhistler
New User
Posted: 04/16/10 05:41 AM

not sure where you go to look it up up I know there's a place to look up vin # to tell you more or you could do carfax dot com  think thats it but they have a fee and they could tell you everything about your car.  

dcoble
New User
Posted: 07/21/10 05:58 PM

Icon QuoteRedden3056:
Just joined the forum and got a question? I came across and bought a 95 convertible GT. It's a 5.0, manual. At the end of the pin stripping it has "Mario andretti edition". It not painted, it's just a sticker. I asked the previous owner about it and he said that Conoco, I sure he means the petroleum company, had 50 of them for a giveaway and was backed by Mario Andretti. Only thing I can see different it the pin stripping and aftermarket wheels painted the same color of car, which is red. It has rear spoiler, fog lights, cruise, power everything, but cloth seats. Is it a GT or GTS? How can I tell? And anymore info in the "Andretti edition" if possible.

This was a Texaco promotional give-a-way car in 1995. I just happen to own two of these myself. This is a little history on this car:

I have a copy of the orginal purchase order where Texaco ordered these cars. The PO I have is for 22 of them.

When you bought gas from a Texaco gas station they would give you a scratch off card and you would have to match the front and back in order to win the car. There was the potential for 50 winners.

The cars were distrubuted across the US at one dealer in each state they were won..just happens there was only three given away in NC, and I have two of the three.

Mustang Monthly Magazine ran a small article in 1995 about this car and in the article Texaco claims they gave away 44 of them...so either they had two purchase orders, or they did not want to make the promotion look like a flop???? The car pictured in the magazine is one of the ones that I have. They also make mention in the article that enless your neighbor won one, you probably want ever see one on the street anytime soon.

This was the only year that Texaco and Mario Andretti did this promotion...so these are the only ones out there.

As far as information on this car....Good Luck! Hopefully you can share more with me. I do have an Auto Trader from 1995 from Texas that has one of these cars listed in it for sell for $50,000. Not sure how much you paid, but may want to take care of it.

Contact me back if you have any other questions that I did not address...I may have the answer.  

fateevans
New User
Posted: 06/24/13 01:35 PM

I have one. The game sponsored by Texaco was called "Horse power". I won one and still have it with 60,000 miles.

The car was shipped to a dealer in California and a "ROLLOUT" custom job was done and then hotshot across the country to the nearest dealer to the winner. Basically, they did the stripping. red mag wheels, and air scopes on the side quarter fender vents. I was told that it had California emissions and a handling package. Don't know for sure, I am not a big car guy.

There were 3 given away in Tennessee. I met Andretti a few years ago at an opening of a new Firestone store. I have photocopies of my winning tickets. He was kind enough to sign them for me.

I just retired and probably will look at selling the car in the near future.