• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Estimate on horse power??

ccmustanggt99
New User
Posted: 06/01/10 12:29 PM

Hello, I was just wondering if someone would know what my mustang should be putting out horsepower wise with my setup. It's a 99 GT with almost 80,000 miles on it. It's a manual with a UPR 2.5" off-road x-pipe, 2.5" SLP loudmouth cat-back system, a mock BBK cold air intake, and a custom race tune on 93 octane from Bama Tuning off a SCT tuner from American Muscle. I just recently went to a Dyno Day at my local performance shop, Brenspeed. There it put out 237hp and 278tq at the wheels. Does this sound correct? I'm just curious. Thanks  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/02/10 05:15 AM

What brand dyno was used?  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

ccmustanggt99
New User
Posted: 06/04/10 04:34 PM

It's a Dynojet dyno  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/07/10 05:39 AM

The horsepower number does sound a tad down, say by, like 10 horsepower or so. Did Brenspeed tune or check the tune when you were there?  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor

ccmustanggt99
New User
Posted: 06/07/10 12:21 PM

No they didn't have time to allow for anything like that. There were over 50 others there waiting with their cars to be dyno'd as well. All Brenspeed did was make 3 pulls, one after the other and give you a printout of the 3. I didn't think it was bad for $50, just to give me a base number of where my car was at for future moding. Any suggestions on what to add next as of bolt ons? I'd love to get my car close to 300rwhp without adding juice, but have a slightly limited budget. I'm looking at a Professional Products Package that comes with the Typhoon Intake, plenum, and throttle body for about $600, but that will be a while for that. Thanks for all the input  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/07/10 12:46 PM

Before you go adding stuff, have Brenspeed look at the tune to see if they can improve on those numbers. Nothing against Bama Tuning or American Muscle, but have Brenspeed look over the tune to see if it has truly been maximized for your car. If you trust them, ask Brenspeed for power recommendations, keeping your budget in mind. Brenspeed is well-respected, but it comes down to if you are comfortable with them.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor

ccmustanggt99
New User
Posted: 06/08/10 12:24 PM

I have no doubt in Brenspeed's capabilities. I'll ask them and see what they can do. Thanks a lot.  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/09/10 05:35 AM

It's been a few years since we did it, but we installed heads and cams on a Two-Valve, and got something like 317 to the wheels on a Dynojet, and that was with the stock intake. You can make power with a Two-Valve, it just takes a little work.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor