• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1981 ford mustang drag project

first-on-race-day79
New User
Posted: 06/23/10 05:08 PM

I have a 1981 ford mustang foxbody that im buildin into a drag car. im usin a 302 that im gettin fully balanced from front to back its bored .40 over and i might get it fitted for full roller and i have a set of 78' 351w heads that i have already rebuild from another motor but obviously will need more work done any suggestions? i also have a edelbrock victor jr. air gap intake thats rpm range is from 3500-8000 any suggestions on carb size and valve train? and what i should use for torque convertor? this is my first drag project so any help would be greatly appreciated  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/25/10 06:26 AM

If it were me, I would start with a roller block. They're not expensive at all. Check the classifieds on the popular Mustang sites, and local newspapers. I believe any 302 block will have to be drilled to accept the Windsor heads, though. Definitely add roller rockers, and any of the larger carburetor manufacturers can point you in the right direction from a carb standpoint. Same goes for the torque converter.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

first-on-race-day79
New User
Posted: 06/25/10 03:34 PM

I wouldve but i already had this block to work with that already has most of the machine work done to it. i know you can get a roller kit for a non roller block and have a lil machine work done to make it work. and plus i havnt had any luck findin a cheap roller block to start with around where im from. the windsor heads have already been tapped to fit the block too.im just wonderin what i shold get done to the heads to get the max hp outv em and the best cam to go with the intake. thanks for the info though i appreciate it.  

Michael Johnson
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/28/10 05:51 AM

Ok, yes you can get a roller kit for a non-roller block. As for the heads and cam, find a reputable performance engine shop, have the heads ported, and get a cam matched to the heads' flow capabilities. Then choose your intake manifold accordingly.  
Michael Johnson
Associate Editor
5.0 Mustang and Super Fords

first-on-race-day79
New User
Posted: 06/30/10 10:44 AM

alrighty will do thanx alot for yur help