• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

NEED ALOT OF HELP :) WITH A 5.0 SWAP (please)

beachbumtroy
New User
Posted: 09/09/10 05:10 PM

hey guys new to this and to what im going to attempt,very mechanically inclined but...(never attempted this before)because of a blown headgasket on my 1997 3.8 mustang,i want to pull the motor and do a 5.0 swap,it is an automatic,so my 1st question is will the 5.0 bolt up to my v6 tranny?and besides the motor mounts what will i have to change?computer?engine compartment harness?can i use the harness in it with just some tweeking? and i kno i have to change radiator and already got the 5.0 fan, is there any links u can lead me to also that will help a diy-er step by step,appreciate all the help and leads i can get i will start unbolting tranny and exhaust sunday 09/12/10 so i`ll look forward to ur input thnx bb  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 09/13/10 08:30 PM

wow... another blown head gasket on a 3.8...i just did a 97 3.8 head gasket job... took me about 10 hours of labor.. including grinding the valves.. but then i have my own valve grinder... the overheat causes things to move around... wow diid it run smooth when i was done....  but it was not cheep.... the head gaskets set cost 180 bucks most are 250... and 2 sets of head bolts... and a tube of hylomar... i did have the heads surfaced...    45 bucks each...

one thing ... the head bolts on 97 3.8 have a special torque sequence...

torque all to 20 ft pounds...  then 30 ft pounds...  then 37 ft pounds..  in the proper torque sequence...

now....    starting with the first in the torque sequence.. a long bolt...

loosen the bolt  (1) long bolt...  torque to 37 foot pounds...   change to breaker bar...   add 2 quarter turns.. exactly...

loosen the next.. (2) short bolt.. torque to 22 foot pounds...   change to breaker bar...  add 2 quarter turns exactly.,,

repeat the process.... one bolt at a time..

warning... if you screw up the torque...  stop... buy another head bolt set.. they are only 20 bucks a head....

long bolts... 37... short bolts 22...  

one thing that helped... the breaker bar i used is a 24 inch unit... i took the socket off and rotate it a quarter turn ... this lets me get a proper quarter turn......

i also used a hyde 5 way painter tool sharpened with a diamond file to a razor sharpness.. and dressed to avoid any burrs on the back...   this allowed me do scrape the gaskets off everything without digging in...

as for your swap....   those do come with 5.0 motors.. so just getting every thing from a 5.0....

i am not sure.. but i think the transmission will fit...  

but... everything is different.. including the complete exhaust...

its going to be cheeper probably unless you have a V8 mustang to get parts from to fix the V6,,,,

oh... and the reason i was replacing the head gaskets...  they all fail on these motors.. but what was really impressive.. this car had the heads changed at a ford dealership... several years before...   when i pulled this down.. i used a beam type torque wrench to loosen the head bolts....    not a single one was tighter then 60 foot pounds... some broke loose at 35 foot pounds...     the last properly torqued version i took apart required my 24 inch breaker bar... both hands and a helper...  

Blanier81
New User
Posted: 10/07/10 06:29 PM

Did you find out about wiring harness and ecu?  

lance144
New User
Posted: 07/12/11 10:38 AM

never seen a 97 with a 5.0 need k-member from 94-95 most front end stuff wiring harness trans mount drive shaft water pump from 94-95 short style and lots of tylenol good luck  

DDD1282
New User
Posted: 07/27/11 02:00 PM

im doing the same thing call me we will talk 708-910-8286  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/01/12 05:15 PM

Just got done with my Mustang Project.From a 3.8 to a 5.0. It was fun and challenging. Everything went well,but a very few curse words. The engine turn very well,but the fuel pump doesn't work. Can't seem to find the problem.Check all connections,grounds. Just ain't get power to it! Has anyone ran into this problem,and what is the cure????  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/01/12 07:48 PM

i am taking that you have a 96 to 98 mustang..

looks like the V6 has the fuel pump relay in the CCRM   (constant current Relay module)

0900C15280250fe3

are you running most of the V6 harness?? or did you swap an entire V8 harness???

its best to print out the entire wiring diagram and trace where each of the wires goes..

more info...  i should be able to print out the pages.. and tape them together..  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/01/12 07:57 PM

there are a LOT of diagrams to print out..

95 to 98 mustang wiring diagrams

this might help...