• Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

AOD to TKO conversion ? opinion!

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/16/03 06:13 PM

I am looking for some good opinions.  I have an 88 GT convertible that wieghs just over 4000lbs with me and my BIG stereo in it. it still has air conditioning. I have converted it to mass air. My car sports a 306 with gt40P heads that are milled .030. the car has 9.8:1 compression. I have stiffer valvesprings with an E303 cam with 1.7 crane roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, 24lb injectors, mac 70mm TB, C&L 73MM mass air meter, Mac cold air fenderwell intake, 170LPH fuel pump, underdrive pulleys, GT40P headers, 2.5 in offroad H-Pipe, and flowmaster. The computer is off a 93 cop car (has no rev limiter).it is has a built AOd with a custom built 2850-2900 stall converter, and 3.73.  I bought a tremec 5-speed conversion kit (not installed yet) .  do I need to change the wire harness from the pedals to the tranny or are they the same. I have heard both that is the only thing i am missing from the conversion.  the Car runs 13.89 at 103mph with the aod on normal radials.  I have friends with same combo with a stick one with F303 cam running 12.40's and another with B303 running 12.20's but they are hardtops around 3300lbs. I hope for 13.20s or better with the 5speed.  Is that reasonable or should i leave the aod in it.I believe the car will run much harder with a stick should i change? any one else with this combo? do i need  another harness?  opinions on my combo or performance?

Thanks Randy

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/16/03 11:18 PM

Hey Randy. You have a nice combo there. I think you should be going faster then you are but you'll need some real help to run with your friends. The biggest thing killing you is the weight. You're 700 LBS. heavier then they are. Every 100LBS is a tenth of a sec.. You will get more power to the wheels with a stick then with the AOD but not a ton. I think the difference is 5 or 10%. So lets say it's 10%, and your putting out 300hp at the crank. You'll may see 30 more at the wheels. Thats not a ton. Is it worth the work ? Well that's up to you. Another thing is. Can you drive a stick? I'm not taking a shot at you, and I don't mean on the street. There are a lot of people that have really fast cars and never get then to run like they should because they can't drive it right. I'm sure you've seen them. I think you would be better off selling your conversion kit and buy a nitrous kit. Take out your stereo (when you go to the track), and see if that gets you closer to your friends.  Oh I almost forgot your friends aren't running normal radials are they. A set of drag radials would help you out a lot.    

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/17/03 09:28 AM

Thanks for you insite.  I had heard that an aod takes 30% and a stick takes 15% your right there is not a ton I love driving a stick and wanted one since I owned the car.  I can drive a stick very well and i know some of those other people you mentioned.  I have a 500+ horse 69 roadrunner with a 4speed but that kind of a car is a total different ball game.  I am hoping for low 13's I think the stick is worth it because it is what i want but on the other hand it is a lot of work for onlt a few tenths but there is a lot of fun with a stick and a steeda shifter.  Yes there were using drag radials. I don't expect to run with my friends but just to have fun but I think I should have bought a supercharger instead.I figure the car should run low 13's and hope to hear from someone else who thinks it is possible If I keep hearing that i am only going to run 13.50s or worse (not that that is bad for a 4000lb car) I will probably sell the TKO for a supercharger.  THanks for you opinion i appreciate it

Randy

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/17/03 11:37 AM

Well I'm with you about wanting a stick. I'm totaly a stick guy, but I know AOD's can run too. I think you should already be in the low 13's. Before I bought my Cobra I had a 91 LX ragtop. It was a 5 speed. With only a cat back, pulleys, and a ten minute tune up. It ran 14.0's all day long. I think there's something keeping you from running as good as you should. What is your mph on your 13.8 run? Also your 60 ft? You have a 69 Roadrunner? Nice!!! I love old Mopars. Does it have the long pistol grip shifter that when you hit third gear your hand smacks the ash try? WhenI was in high school one friend had a 70 Roadrunner. It was a 440 + 6 car, but they took off the six pack because it was a pain to keep set up. Another freind had a 70 440+6 Cuda. I worked on the cuda more then he did. He was totaly one of those guys I was talking about earlier. I wanted that car so bad. I came home from the Army and it was gone. He sold it for a 84 Z/28. What a d***....

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/17/03 05:58 PM

My fuel pump was too small for the 24lb injectors and it waas starving at 4000+ rpm  it would scream until 4000 but after that you could watch the tach slow down alot I added a 170lph fuel pump but it was the weekend i took put it in storage.  THe throttle response improve drasticly but i haven't drove it  since i put the new pump I think that will account for a lot.  You didn't say if yours was a gt or lx  mine is  a gt but i don't think the weight is that much difference.  I heard the ragtops weigh 3700 stock my stereo is a little over 110lbs and i am 190lbs. The car still has air and it works nice on the humid 100 degree days. I wanted the car to run off motor but i debated then and still whether not to put the SC on there or the stick I am thinking about both but I have to buy heads for the roadrunner.  I think the car will be faster with a SC and an aod than the SC and a Stick but like you said Sticks are more fun.  The roadrunner doesn't have a pistol grip but it has a hurst and I use to smack my thumb on the dash until I adjusted the linkage.  The RR is dyno for 459HP and 454.9 foot lbs but I am switchint the exhaust for 3 inch and taking off the stock heads and adding the Edelbrock performer RPM heads.I am sure it will be around that 500 mark. Next it will need bigger tires.  I hear you on that six pack not working my dad has one and he dinked around for about 7 summers and finally sent them back to Holley and had them Reman talk about serious $$$ and then we never put them  on we put dual quads instead.I am still considering the SC instead of the TKO.  Know N E 1 who wants an aod to TKO conversion kit?  it had less than 15,000 miles on the TKO and a freshly turned flywheel. If i found the right buyer then i would sell it for the SC.

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/17/03 10:08 PM

The fuel pump sounds like it was why you didn't run as well as you should have. My ragtop was an LX. I think it might be 100 LBS lighter. Something like that. That car was a freak though. It really ran good. A friend bought a 88LX hatch. We would race all of the time. I'd win 8 out of 10 races. Sometimes I think I should have kept that car, but when the Cobra came out I had to have it. So bye bye ragtop. The blower would give you a lot more E.T. then the tko will. Although a stick blower car is great fun to drive. I've had a Procharger on the Cobra for 8 years now. After all this time I still don't have a great tune on it, but I haven't broken anything in the motor yet either. Why not post your conversion kit on e-bay. See if someone bites. I don't need it. I have two Mustangs both with tremecs. The cobra has a 3550 and I have a 89 coupe with a tko in it. I need to get the tko proshifted, but it has to wait for a while. The coupe is still sitting on jack stands waiting for me to finsh it.    

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/18/03 08:48 AM

I know all about the jackstands I had to pull the AOD out of mine 5 times this summer I got to the point to where I could pull it out in a half hour. I know every wrench size.  I fooled around and spent over 6 bills on a custom stall converter. all the people I talked to including performance automatic said i could run a non-lockup converter and all I would lose was gas milage. since i hardly ever hit the highway i though the performance was the way to go.  I should have saved longer and just bought the five speed instead.  I guess you can run a non luckup without burning up the tranny just not a 3400 stall.  Learned that the expensive way as isent the converter back and got a newly configured 2900 lock up it stayed locked in third. so i sent the tranny back to my guy he fould it was burnt up and rebuilt the whole thing. including new drum, still shook rebuilt whole thing again...even a new planetary, still shook...new govenor... still shook...rebuilt again with new case, shaft, valvebody,tail housing and all new internals and finally right by then I would have had my five speed.  I also have a 90 25th anniversary ragtop that i am redoing, and I probably will put my good aod and stall converter in there, but a 347 stroker built up nicely.  and then i can use my stick for a good reason to save me some money.  convert mine to a stick and that way i dont need to redo another tranny.  THe tranny in the lx is new but stock and I am for sure putting the stroker in it and don't think it will hold up to a 347 stroker.  

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/18/03 09:35 PM

No I don't think so either. I had the blower in my car for three days. I was out playing and bang. Third gear was gone. So I had to come up with the money for the tremec right after forking out 3 grand for the blower. I've been doing it the same way as you. The hard way. The rear in the Cobra was the same way. I broke it at the track. This guy that was there said he worked for a ford dealer near by. So I said cool and got it towed to his shop. I told him to do it right. Put in 31 spline axles and a good differential. Well a 1000 dollars later I still had 28 spline axles and a Auburn that made a ton of noise. So I had to go to someone that knew what he was doing to get it right. Another 700 bucks gone. I totaly know what you've been dealing with.   

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/19/03 01:27 PM

Yeah it is a *** doing it that way but thats how you learn.  I regret buying the stall converter.  My dad wanted me to keep it an auto and I really didn't and did it his way and now I had to spend all that money and now I spent it all over again buying the stick but I was going to buy some saleen wheels but I think i will keep the draglites and spend wheel money  on a supercharger. I hope my rear end holds up it is stock but has a new posi carrier but it is a stock replacement with 3.73.  I'll find out the hard way i guess.

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/19/03 10:37 PM

Well??? The AOD will go a long way toward helping your rear last. You put on some sticky tires and add that TKO. In a 4000 LB car? That rear WILL be toast. Been there done that. I know it's tough. There is so much you want to do to the car, and only so much money. That's why my coupe is still sitting almost 3 years after I planned to have at the track. *** happens you can only do what you can do. I'm thinking maybe you should try to ride it out with the AOD. Do you have a good shift kit in it? Maybe look into a manual valve body for it. I know more money. It's gotta be something you want to do though. Cause I can be the same way. I don't care if it makes sense or not. If I want something a certain way then I'm doing it. It might cost me more but it's the way I wanted it.    

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/20/03 01:42 PM

I am the same way If i want it then i get it. I guess Moser axles are only 260 a pair but to break it, it just becomes another hassle. The aod has a shift kit , the A cervo and a Cobra overdrive band and drum. and a Hp clutch pack with 7 clutches. it has a longer 2nd gear. It runs nice with the auto its just that I have wanted a stick all along and now I have one but I probably should have sold mine along time ago and got one with a stick but this car was a stocker with 45000 miles and a new top and pain and I bout it for 4G and now everything done to it is something I have done so its my car not one someone else built you know. I've scraped my knuckles countless times but I have the pride to say it's mine you know what I mean.  I have the stick but in the back of my mine I wonder if i shouldn't just supercharge it and leave the auto.  It'll be a matter of time before the auto goes out again to. part of me thinks I should put the stick in it because it is something i have always wanted and then supercharge it and If I break the TKO and hopefully i don't then I can always put the auto back in it  

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/20/03 07:05 PM

I know what you're saying. Don't worry about breaking the TKO. It'll take more then you'll be giving. Even with the blower. F it you want a stick put in the stick. Sell your AOD and converter. Take the money and put it towards a blower. If you do break the TKO some how. Send to to Bob Hanlon. He'll rebuild it or if you wanted he'll proshift it. He went low 9's with a proshifted TKO. I don't think you'll be going that fast. I've seen him bang 2nd with the front wheels off the ground. Do you have a roll bar in your car? I know the tracks around here 13.99 for a roll bar and 11.99 you need a full cage in a rag top. Something else to think about.  

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/20/03 08:23 PM

I didn't think I could break the tko unless i screw up a shift even then it wuld have to be a hard shift.  I plan to put a steeda shifter in it right off the bat.  Do you have any Idea/ guess what my car might be capable of with the tko and 8-9 psi of boost on it?  I will get the five speed in it first cuz thats what I wanted and the blower will come after I buy heads and exhaust for my Roadrunner but I'll get it by july.  It'll be cool If I could skip past the 12's and hit high 11's with the blower  but thats wishful thinking I think.   

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 12/20/03 10:17 PM

I don't know. 11's? You would need suspension work, and slicks. Then maybe. I agree with you putting in the TKO. If you want it then do it. I have a PRO-5.0 shifter in both of my cars. See if you can find people with different shifters. Kind of try them out see what one you like the best. I don't think there is anything wrong with the steeda just try some others out. If you can. If not no big deal. What clutch do you have?  

187mustang
User
Posted: 12/21/03 11:26 AM

I am putting a King cobra clutch and an aluminum driveshaft. My friend had the steeda and it felt really nice and is like the pro 5.0 it lines you up for third.  I really wont matter if i hit 11's i am not puttiong a roll cage in a convertible bottom line. I will g-tech it and get to where I get the best launch and take it to the track an do my best but I will hope for 12's with the charger. but like you said earlier if I use slicks i can kiss my rear end good bye I would probably use some nitto drag radials.  

123 Last