• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

my 99 cobra????

bullitt01
New User
Posted: 10/03/11 10:22 AM

so i bought this cobra its a 1999 guys says that all thats wrong with it is a blown head gasket ....so what should i do know ??? well obvious i do wanna fix it so i purchased a head set gasket from fel-pro ...or what you guys recommend ?? i wanna do a valve job to it ...?? 3 angle or 5 angle ?? i also already got new long tubes headers ,,dr.gas off road x pipe ,,super 44 flow's .....also got some new 3:73's ...i just want my car to run good ...please help any advice??? im from texas so any info on shop's and good mechanics ????  

bullitt01
New User
Posted: 10/10/11 10:36 PM

damn how sad nobody know's  or can give me some advice ....well i ordered a stroker kit for the bottom end but i dont know what to do with the heads??? the stroker kit is from coast high performance.....  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/11/11 08:05 AM

i actually saw your post.. i was wondering about the amount of room on the valve seat for a 5 angle valve job..

since most shops use machines like a serti with a blade cutter with multiple angles ground into it..   i don't have the application chart for the various cutting tools by cylinder head application handy...  so i was not able to get you an answer as i have not worked in a cylinder head shop since i ran the head rebuilding section back in the early 90.s..

i would worry more about cylinder head deck finish..  and how much gets removed... but since you plan on stoking the motor anyway...    

there are a bunch of articles on the dual over head cam motors spread out in the almost dozen magazines on this site that might have covered them.. there are 4 specific ford magazines...  then HRM CC PHR  and some of it might have gotten covered in one of the rodding magazines or even one of the truck magazine..

i don't work here... i just answer posts when i can...   there are articles written to help you make an informed choice in parts and to let you know the newest parts available..   which parts you select is really your choice...  the magazine is on most magazine stands in autoparts stores... and in drug stores....   yes..  you can wander into a drug store to the magazine rack and get your fix of automotive info...  that should rev you up..

i also answer questions to allow the staff members more time to write a great magazine.. not having to answer a bunch of posts when i can do that mostly...   the staff do travel to far corners of the country to gather info and pictures for the print issue...

try the featured cars link above left...  or the Tech section..   you can also use the search window and put in the term cobra.. or DOHC..

did you see this link to the right???

Subscribe  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/11/11 08:18 AM

i do have some personal advice from my 3 decades of building engines and working on cars as a professional mechanic..

you are going to want to use some Hylomar on both sides of the multilayer steel head gaskets...  yes i know.. install dry.. i do this with hylomar as i don't like having to change head gaskets twice..

why do head gaskets fail...  usually overheating exposes the cylinder head to extreme heat.. causing uncontrolled expansion of the aluminum..  since the head gaskets won't crush much..  the aluminum surface distorts... when it cools.. that section of the head surface will not be clamping tight on the gasket any more.. allowing the combustion gasses to leak..

you will also want to carefully examine the torque specs for the new head bolts...

i turn all my phones off and do one head at a time... without stopping..  in order...  i also use a 24 inch breaker bar to do the rotation of the head bolts.. i don't use my torque wrench...    i also store my click type torque wrench at ZERO or less.. i have a oil style beam type torque wrench with a 15MM 12 point socket on it.. then i can see that my torque wrench is not out of calibration..  the head bolt torque settings for these motors usually requires a smaller torque wrench..

again. . read up on it....  the last 3.8 motor i did.. i spent 20 minutes torquing each head...  with a break between them...