• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1996 Mystic Cobra Repaint

MODE2345
New User
Posted: 01/07/12 05:29 AM

I have a 1996 Mystic Cobra that needs repainted.  The front and back bumpers as well as a spot on the roof have the typical clear delamination.  I've talked to the Ford dealership and they said they could shoot my car with the original BASF paint for the low low price of $9K.  I work for a large paint company and I've seen the offsets to the original BASF product offering and they are not even close.  The car doesn't need any body work and the interior/engine are in great shape for a 78K mile car.  I see other mystic's for sale that don't need reshot for around 12-15K.  I live in Western PA and need some options for painting this car.  There is no way I can afford to drop 9K on a paint job.  Looking for recommendations from other mystic owners who may have gone through the same issue.  Or even anyone that knows someone in Western PA who is a reputable body shop that could shoot my car.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 01/07/12 11:15 AM

The trouble with that color is the pigment it uses which is also used on US currency. Whip out a fresh bill in the sun, you'll find it. As you mentioned, you can't fake that. Pretty sure the basecoat is over a grand a liter. When they first came out, I was selling auto paint. At that time, a paint manufacturer's representative had to bring the color and actually pour it in the gun for you then take any reduced excess with him. I believe that was due to proprietary concerns. Spot/panel repairs were generally unsatisfactory. Thats about the extent of my knowledge on the subject, never shot any. Sometimes you gotta pay if u wanna play! I would suggest a color change for about half that price, or selling the car as-is.  
idrivejunk