• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

FAIL SAFE MODE 2008 GT 500

zx9rlover
New User
Posted: 02/25/12 03:49 PM

I BOUGHT A 2008 GT 500 WITH 22000 MILES.IT CAME WITH UPGRADED SUPERCHARGER A WHIPPLE.AND UPGRADED INJECTORS.RUNS GREAT.HOWEVER AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS JUST  ACCELRATING AWAY FROM STOP LIGHT WHEN THE CAR QUIT RUNNING AND THE FAIL SAFE
MODE LIGHT CAME ON.AFTER WAITING 2 MINUTES IT RESTARTED.
CALLED DEALER THE CAME GOT CAR HAD IT FOR 3 DAYS SAID THEY DID A RE-TUNE BECAUSE
IT ALSO HAD A SCT TUNER INSTALLED.
GOT IT BACK RAN GREAT AND THE SAME THING HAPPEN 2 MORE TIMES.BOTH WHEN ACCERRATING
JUST A BIT.CAR QUIT FAIL SAFE CAME MODE CAME ON.RESTARTED DROVE TO DEALER.
AFTER 13 DAYS,TODAY I WENT AND PICKED UP CAR.THE DEALER SAID THET WENT THROUGH EVERY THING,THEY DID FIND A LOOSE CONNECTOR TO THROTTLE BODY.THE REMOVED AND REPLACED.THEY THINK FOR SURE THIS WAS REASON FOR FAIL SAFE MODE ACTIVATING.THE RE-TUNED.DROVE HOME TODAY RAN GREAT.
JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS ANY IDEA ABOUT THE PROBLEM I HAD.AND DOES THIS MAKE SENCE.I KNOW THIS IS NOT AN EASY QUESTION.BUT I TRADED A REAL NICE 2003
GT THAT I LOVED.AND WAS SO FRUSTRATED BECAUSE THE GT 500 WAS NOT CHEAP AND TOOK ME SO LONG TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD THIS NEW CAR.
SO IF ANY BODY HAS ANY INSIGHT I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
AND ALSO WHAT KING OF MAINTANENCE DO I NEED TO DO IN CARING FOR THE SUPERCHARGER
BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE.
THANKS KEVIN.  

zx9rlover
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 08:46 AM

GOT MY GT 500 BACK YESTERDAY.RUNS SO GOOD.THE DEALERSHIP IS TOP NOTCH IN CUSTOMER
SERVICE.IT APPEARS MY FAIL SAFE MODE PROBLEMS ARE A NOT AN ISSUE.
THE SALES DEPARTMENT,THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.THIS IS THE FIRST DEALERSHIP
WERE YOU THE CUSTOMER IS NUMBER ONE.
IF ANY ONE ON THIS BLOG LIVES IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AREA I RECOMMEND BICKFORD
DEALERSHIP FOR ALL YOUR FORD NEEDS.THESE GUYS ARE TOPS.DAN HUDSON WAS MY SALESMAN
AND THE FOLLOW UP AFTER THE SALE REALLY IMPRESSED ME.
ALSO NO PRESSURE SALES,NO BS.  

zx9rlover
New User
Posted: 02/29/12 05:33 PM

Thanks for the information I have passed this along to dealer.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 02/29/12 06:13 PM

i would have answered you earlier. but my desk top computer was apart for service..

since you have An OBD2 car..  that monitors all kinds of stuff..

what codes is it setting..  

instead of just reprogramming the computer..   Reflashing the computer is what it is called...

they should be taking the car for a test drive with TWO mechanics...   one to operate the scan tool..  the other to operate the car...    the scan tool should be set to the record data stream mode... so its constantly monitoring the data stream...  when the car fails.. the passenger pushes the button to take a snap shot of the data stream..

a drivability tech who really knows his stuff .. should be able to page back and forth through the recorded frames of data stream to see what failed..

i personally would like you to run a test... your self..   do you have a hand held digital volt meter...

set it to 20 volts DC scale...      start the engine and turn on the headlights..

1.   measure from the POSitive battery post.. to the NEGative battery post...  14.1 to 14.8 volts is expected..

2.   measure from the NEGative battery post to the engine ...          0.04 volts is expected..

3.   measure from the NEGative battery post to the body...      0.02 volts is expected.

4.  measure from the ENGINE block to the BODY..       0.02 volts is expected...

if you get 0.00 on tests 2, 3, 4   set the meter to 2 volts DC scale..   recheck 2, 3, 4....

this takes less than 2 minutes to ***

i have had terrible problems with the ground wires on the core support..  they are on either end of the radiator core support.. there is usually one near on the inner fender panel..

when a LOT of modifications get done.. sometimes ground wires get left off..  or end up being too short..  sometimes they get installed on painted surfaces..

one had to realize.. that ON ALL CARS...   the ground wire is HALF the circuit..

each separate ground wire is for a different circuit.. they are NOT interconnected...  except where they are attached at the body...

what really sends a curve ball.. is the electrons actually flow from Negative to positive...

if you loose a ground connection.. you won't have enough electrons to operate the circuit...  kinda like the your computer power wire falling out of the wall socket..  no power..  no POWER...

run the test above...   post results..

digital volt meters are cheep.. decent ones under 22 bucks..

does every mechanic know that test.. NOPE..   its usually taught the first week of autoshop.. when nobody understands anything yet..  

zx9rlover
New User
Posted: 03/04/12 10:56 AM

Thanks for the Information,as I write my car is back in shop.The Chief mechanic
came to my house a picked up the car.
He is the top of line mechanic,and I am going to pass this information to him.Because they have gone through the car,replaced a loose connector.Replaced
throttle body,re tuned,ran great until I was getting on freeway,the tires broke
traction because the roads were wet.And the fail safe mode came on and car quit.
The biggest issue is that it is hard to get it to fail when you want it too.However
I think the mechanic is driving the car now.
So I hope for the best.
If you want to call the mechanic and pass this in formation that would be great,and I would make this up to you.His number is 425-418-5848 Dan,or text message.These guys are great but they are scratching their heads to.I think they are going to attack the computer this time.Yet your Idea about ground wires makes lot's of sense.
Thanks so much for your input,because I have been so bumming about this car.
Thank you much
Kevin Prohn.