• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Did i mess up my computer??????????

SFV Trigger
New User
Posted: 04/11/12 11:09 AM

I'm new here and i hope someone can help me. While checking out my no fuel pressure problem i accidently ran a hot wire to the top right window of the self test connector.(instead of the bottom right) It sparked but no blown fuse.After replacing thethe fuel pump and reg and tps it barely runs and i can no longer pull codes it'll koeo then flashh 11 then stop also if i just leave key on for 30 secs it go into test mode without a jumper in place. i know i messed up something but what? any help will be appreciated thanks  
!994 Mustang GT Convertible,5.0l,gt40 heads,roller rockers,bbk headers & throttle body,edelbrock performer intake,still sorting out.

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/11/12 06:30 PM

EEC4 ECMs from some parts stores are really cheep right now..  amazingly cheep..

these are 30 bucks from most parts stores..

Actron/OBD I code scanner for Ford 1984-1995
Part Number: CP9015
Code scanners retrieve OBDI data through a series of flashes. Use this tool on 1984-1995 domestic Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles.
Retrieves engine trouble codes from the on-board diagnostics (OBD) computer
Uses audio and visual indicators for reading codes
Built-in battery eliminates cables
Accesses Ford s self-test system

there are a few old style scan tools that can be picked up on CL for cheep sometimes..  you are still only going to get codes.. after a KOEO and KOER test..

early autoxray units  with the proper cable

Autoxrayezlinkscanner

various OTC monitor versions.  4000E .. monitor extended.. extended monitor..

Otcmonitor4000e

the monitor 2000 versions are good ONLY up to 1987 models..

OTC2000

this is an actron CP9110.. rare beasts.. and very handy .. i have one.. use it all the time.. be sure if you buy one that it comes with a eec4 cable and cartridge..  and may also come with the GM cable and cartridge.. this was a GREAT scan tool... i have one also..  

sorry.. incase you missed.. i am a professional auto mechanic..  who has been doing electronic fuel injection repairs since they came out in the late 70's..   wait.. 76 sevilles had electronic fuel injection..  most others started in 82 ..   chrysler had electronic fuel injection in 1958.. but it used vacuum tubes..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/11/12 06:33 PM

the various scan tools above.. are usually very hard to get any additional components for..  or if available.. very expensive..

there is also these from snap on...  they are NOT just hard to get parts for but tremendously expensive ..

Mt2500snapon  

SFV Trigger
New User
Posted: 04/11/12 09:44 PM

So by telling me how cheap an ECM is you're telling me I fried mine? BTW my car is a 94 GT,5.0,Edelbrock Performer intake,BBK tb,Mac cold air intake,shorty headers. I just aquired it and it was not running when I got it,No fuel pressure,replaced the fuel pump(BBK 190lph) and Regulator(Kirban adjustable) Confused
UPDATE: I cleared the codes and started it up, ran rough for 30 secs or so then seemed to clear up. Now the idle is @1500 rpm and I cant lower it at all Confused  I'm a carb guy this is making me crazy. About ready to just convert it.  
!994 Mustang GT Convertible,5.0l,gt40 heads,roller rockers,bbk headers & throttle body,edelbrock performer intake,still sorting out.

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/12/12 05:50 AM

WAIT>>>   WAIT>>...  this thing did not run when you got it... NOW It idles way too fast...

unplug the idle air control valve...   does it idle down?????   if not.. back off the idle stop screw on the throttle body..   with the idle air control valve disconnected it will close ..  this will allow you to back off the idle stop screw to set MINIMUM idle...  probably around 450.. to 500 Rpms.. as slow as it will go and still idle...    

at that point.. check the TPS voltage.  if its not at the proper voltage...  shut the engine off..   turn the key back on.. reset the TPS by adjusting it..  turn the key off...    plug in the idle air control valve.. start the engine...  it should start and idle.. if you have to open the throttle to get it to run.. hold it at a steady 2000 rpms for about 10 seconds..  then as slow as you can.. ease off on the throttle.. this will give the ECM the time it needs to learn the TPS and IACV so it will idle..  these are adaptive learn systems ..

if it won't do this idle learn....  post ..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/12/12 06:24 AM

what kind of EEC4 info do you have handy???

here are a few pages on a 94 TPS..  

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/h/whishena/TSB94-26-4.pdf

is it the black with a white stripe wire you connected to on the test connector.???

the black and white wire.. connects to  PIN 46 on the ECM.. and is the ground circuit for the below items..   sending power into this circuit may have damaged some..

self test connector.
the EGR valve position sensor
the MAP or BARO sensor
the ACT air charge temp sensor
the TPS  throttle position sensor
the ECT engine coolant sensor.
the CLUTCH or NEUTRAL safety switch.  

these are actually things that you might want to verify that they are still working..  

there could also have been damage inside the ECM....  

SFV Trigger
New User
Posted: 04/12/12 01:33 PM

Thanks alot I'm gonna go check all those things then try the idle down stuff. I'll let you know how it turns out thanks again guys, I was lost... Confused  

SFV Trigger
New User
Posted: 04/12/12 10:09 PM

Well I checked all the sensors etc,all ok. Then I tried the idle learn Mad when I unplugged the IAC the idle dropped,followed your instructions, TPS ok,started it up and the same thing EXCEPT this time after about 10 mins it starts running like *** I get behind the wheel and notice that its flashing codes then it shuts down and wont start again without clearing the codes, then the same thing 3X.ARRRGH! The ECU? How do I test it? Thanks again in advance. Cool
Oh yeah the test it runs is incomplete the coes it flashes are also.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/13/12 05:23 PM

well

what kind of repair info do you have...    a factory HC manual section ??   online info from alldatadiy or eautorepair  dot net  something in print???

do you have a wiring diagram???  and one of the pin out voltage charts..
_____KOEO,  hot idle
TP   .9vdc__  .9vdc
evp  .4 vdc__.4
ect  .6 vdc__.6
act    1.2 vdc__1.2
map  158Hz__104-105Hz
idm  0 rpm__ 700-730RPM

pip  0 RPM--700-730
tot 1.7dcv  __1.2
ks    2.5__2.5
hego 0dcv__switching

inj bank2 vbat  __ 5.0-5.7 DCV
inj bank 1 vbat __5.0-5.7 DCV
evr vbat  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/13/12 05:35 PM

you will need to VERIFY all the powers and all the grounds to the ECM connector with the ECM disconnected...  this usually requires a break out box to NOT damage the terminals in the connector...

are you brave enough to remove the cover from the ECM and look inside at the circuit board??   looking for BURNED components.. looking for melted solder joints.

there are a LOT of test sections in the HC section.. more info than i could type in a week..

some of the charts are going to lead to ..   ECM replacement..

the more i read your last response.. the more i wonder if you have a burned out sensor..  

on the list of sensors i posted above.. how did you test them????

found this..
removed... sorry.. that was the 88-91 diagram.. not a 94 diagram...  

SFV Trigger
New User
Posted: 04/13/12 08:52 PM

Waynep thanks alot for all the info,Ive been useing the online repair info from Autozone and APW, I tested the sensors according to their specs. No I do not have any printed manuals or wiring diags or flow charts. I'm more than competant with wrench. I was ASE certified and worked as a tech...20 yrs ago. So I'm not afraid to take stuff apart and I understand the lingo so you dont have to dumb it down for me. LOL Grin I will check the things you said i dont have a breakout box so im not sure about that. Thanks for the # I'm sure I'll be calling you in the am. I'm in the S.F.V. not far from you. Thanks again bro you;re a cool m/f. Talk to you soon. Laugh  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/14/12 08:19 AM

i have 60 pin break out boxes.. scan tools and probably enough info to get it going..

i try to keep it understandable.. as a LOT of people read this..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 04/14/12 08:36 AM

wiring diagram are on this page..

the 5.0 versions are down near the bottom..

i already printed and taped together the 4 pages of the engine control diagram for another post...

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280250fd6

i don't know how i figured out that you might have a 90/91 model..