• Subscribe to a Magazine
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

5.0 Swap?

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/15/12 04:04 PM

I have the 5.0 in and running. But I have a problem. I have set the timing and have a ping,sounds like a dozen hammers turned a loose inside the engine. I know that the fuel has some to do with that. I have the timing on 10 as it called for.Is there something missing ,I don't know about. What is it going to take to quiten it down? I'm open for any help! Confused  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/17/12 08:24 PM

did you disconnect the timing connector plug to set the timing???

are you using the proper timing marks on the damper????/

aftermarket dampers sometimes have 3 sets of marks...  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/18/12 01:35 PM

I have checked the harmonic balancer,it's ok. I've replaced the pickup in the distributor.Only thing left is the computer.I guess I'll order that tomorrow.If anyone has any ideas,please jump in.I need all the help I can get!  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/18/12 01:50 PM

well if you want to ...

can you verify the TDC mark on the damper lines up with the first piston on the passenger side of the engine is at TDC...

could you be having 5.0 and 5.0HO firing order/injector wiring issues??

as they look identical.. they ARE NOT.. both the firing order and the INJECTOR wiring is different between the ENGINES OF THE SAME YEAR..

when you installed the spark plug wires to the drivers side of the engine...

its REALLY important that you NOT BUNDLE THEM...

where they pass from the distributer cap .. over the drivers side valve cover.. to the individual spark plugs..   you have to keep them in the separator so the #7 cylinder is toward the front of the separator.. then the #5 and #6.. then the #8...

on one of the motors...  the 7 and 8 cylinder fire only a quarter turn of the crank apart..

what happens.. the corona from the high voltage spark on the one wire induces a spark in the adjoining cylinder lighting the fuel and air mixture..  this makes that cylinder RUN LEAN and PING..  tearing up a brand new motor.. or even an old one..  there is actually a TSB written on this.. that covers some of the 5.0 and all of the 5.8W motors.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/18/12 02:00 PM

by the way.. DO YOU HAVE OIL PRESSURE ?????

have you been able to verify you have oil pressure???

does the gauge on the dash board read 0.. then come up????...

warning.  late model fords do not really have an oil pressure gauge.. they use a reversed switch  to move the needle on the cluster...

in a normal oil pressure switch.. the contacts inside the switch are closed when there is NO oil pressure..   then open above 4 or 5 pounds...  this allows the light to come on when the oil pressure is low..

in most newer fords.. starting around 1985..  the oil pressure switch is open when there is NO pressure.. and closed above 3 to 5 psi..  this moves the gauge up from zero when the oil pressure comes up...

this is an oil pressure tester.. you can probably rig something up...

Image 12200

i normally check for oil flow.. with the IGNITION DISABLED>. so the engine WILL NOT RUN>..

with a remote starter switch hooked up.. i climb under and remove the oil filter.. then crank the engine while looking at the oil filter adaptor area.. you should have a fairly good oil flow while cranking..  put the filter back on..  check the engine oil level.. top it off and then turn the key to the ON position.. does the oil light come on.. does the gauge sit at zero...

then crank and start the engine.. does the oil pressure light turn out .. or the gauge come up off zero..???

do you have some kind of cam corder.. where you can take a video and post it to you tube.. then paste the link here for us to see it running..  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/20/12 03:00 PM

I took a 86 Mercury Marquis 5.0,which was rebuilt.Ordered all the parts to make it a Mustang 5.0. The only changes I did,was a Ford b-303 cam, and a 5.0 mustang distributor. And with the changing of the cam,the firing order was changed.The 86 firing order was 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, with the new cam 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. What Have I done wrong?  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/20/12 04:32 PM

did you rearrange the injector firing order???

these are SFI motors..    sequential fuel injection.. where the injectors are not grouped into banks of 4 to fire.. but fire...    1 3 7  2  6 5 4 8

get it mixed up... they will fire some of the injectors into closed intake valves..  where others spray through the open ones..

this is just something to check into..

i could be totally wrong..

there are all kinds of books written on these.  5.0 installs...  usually not a retrofit..  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/20/12 05:31 PM

When I started this project.The car was a 3.8. I removed the engine,all the wiring,along with the computer. Installed all the wiring,and made all connections.Installed the engine and wired it all up. Found out that the fuel pump woudn't worked,till I tracked down one wire,that wasn't connected. Reset the distributor and she fired up. Then the pinging started. Been battling that ever since. I have replaced all the sensors. Now you tell me I need to rewire the injectors.I thought all 5.0's in 95 were wired for the timing of 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8.How and what is the best way to do this? This is my first time building a fuel injected engine. And it's about to get the best of me. I like challenges,but I believe I've bit off more than I can chew!! Please help!  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/20/12 10:05 PM

i am NOT telling you to REWIRE the injectors...

as they don't need to be rewired..

they might need to be repinned at the ECM connector.. or the  wires inside the harness might need to be spliced..

i cannot recall how its usually DONE right now..   a few posts back.. did you carefully compare the PIN OUTS FROM THE ECM connector to the actual injector location?????

please try to NOT make more of this than there is..

i have been on another forum doing research...

follow the wiring diagram between the ECM connector.. and the injector connectors..  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/21/12 04:46 AM

At one point last week the engine ran quite,when I turned the distributor.When I sh ut it down and went back to start it.The pinging started up again. I talked to a local mechanic,who deal with 5.0's. He said to check the harmonic balancer,make sure it was running true. Which I did. He said that the computer controlled the timing. If I couldn't get it to adjust right,I needed a new computer. I'm trying to cover all bases ,before I go and spend that kind of money. The engine will run like it is,but with the pinging.Lots of power,quick accelaration. Thank  you for your info. I need all the help I can get!  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/21/12 05:32 AM

do you have the instructions to set the distributer alignment???  as the is a CAM sensor in the distributer..  it has to be PERFECTLY in alignment..   i am looking for that info now.. but i don't see it yet..

you might also want to carefully examine the teeth on the tone wheel on the back of the damper..

make sure that NONE are cracked or chipped..   you should be able to see this when you turn the crank with a socket on the big bolt  there is ONE gap ONLY.. where a tooth is missing. .

i have not seen these slip.. as they are bolted to the back of the crank hub..    

i have seen crank sensors go crazy...

i have seen problems with the cam sensor being out of alignment when the distributer housing is NOT perfect..   it has to be within 1 degree...  if not closer..

if the system sees a problem it will set a fixed advance..  and perhaps that is why your system is pinging..

if you don't have the info on how to properly align the cam sensor/distributer housing..  let me know i will continue to dig..  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/21/12 05:44 AM

wrong info.. still looking..  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/21/12 06:21 AM

There is no cam sensor,or crank sensor on this engine. I have already replaced the coolant sensor,temperature switch,oil pressure switch. The fast idle sensor checks OK.as well as the TPS.Got new O2 Sensors. I guess I'm just going to have too put a new computer on it. I don't know anything else to check or change!!!  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/21/12 11:58 AM

which distributer do you HAVE.???

this is for a 95 5.0 mustang..

see the ROUND connector....

or do you have a TFI distributer..

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/21/12 01:17 PM

I havr the top distributor,95 5.0. I have replaced the pip in it also!  

12 Last