• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

5.0 Swap?

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/21/12 06:01 PM

back to the first post in this thread.. i am taking that you removing the timing connector to set the timing...

Lrs 14489C 5966

is the wiring from the distributer plug away from the spark plug wires... so there is no corona effect in the low voltage signals between the distributer and the module or ECM..

now....  i don't recall if we talked about running a KOEO and KOER test on the other thread...

did you run this yet...

do you have a detonation sensor in the side of that engine?????

a friend send me this..

95 mustang INITIAL TIMING ?

Place transmission in NEUTRAL (M/T) or PARK (A/T) with A/C and heater in OFF position.

Connect an inductive timing light.

Disconnect the single wire in-line Spark Output (SPOUT) connector or remove the shorting bar from the double wire SPOUT connector.

Start engine and allow to reach operating temperature. With engine at timing rpm, check or adjust initial timing to specification.

NOTE: To set timing correctly, a remote starter should not be used. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Disconnecting the start wire at the starter relay will cause Ignition Control Module (ICM) to revert to start mode timing after the vehicle is started. Reconnecting the start wire after the vehicle is running will not correct the timing.?

Reconnect single wire in-line spout connector or reinstall the shorting bar on the double wire spout connector. Check timing advance to verify distributor is advancing beyond the initial setting.

Remove test instruments.  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/22/12 04:52 PM

OK,to the best of my knowledge,which ain't much. I have some codes,but the biggest posions of them are toward the ite.. The only thing it's telling me is I need a knock sensorms I don't have on this engine. EGR,TAB,TAD,The only thing it's telling me is I need a knock sensor. The noise I hear is a spark knock.The engine doesn't have a knock sensor on it. What am I suppose to do about putting one on it? Or Can I deal without it! IN other words what can I do to stop the spark knock?Any Ideas???  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/23/12 07:21 AM

at this point..  have you checked with a timing light that the timing is NOT FIXED.. it does advance??

that you did set the timing with the spout disconnected. as described..

sounds like its time to talk to a company who does tuning on the ECM programming..

i looked at the wiring diagram and did not see a detonation sensor.. i know that most of these had it.. its hard to do adaptive timing without it..

the wiring diagram for the 95 5.0 engine control is 4 pages wide..

if the EGR is disabled.. the engine will ping.. as its running lean..  what.. the EGR Flow reduces the oxygen content of the incoming air charge.. so less fuel is required to be injected in open loop.. with codes for the EGR, TAB and TAD.. the system will not go into open loop where it will run on oxygen sensor data to set fuel mixture..

what kind of books do you have on hand that cover these 5.0 swap issues.. there are a bunch of 5.0 swap books..  

groovygroveone
New User
Posted: 03/23/12 09:54 AM

I don't have any 5.0 swap books.I just my info of what I needed to proform a 3.8 to 5.0 swap.I go to google,an ask my question,and sees what pops up.I'm on a couple Mustang forums,asking questions and for help.I changed the gap on my plugs,lowering the heat range,that helped some.I'm running APP-25 double platinum plugs,do you think in need to go to a regular plug?I've changed ecm's,and there was no change in the running of the engine!