• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

2011 GT SHIFTING PROBLEM

Radcoons
New User
Posted: 07/04/12 12:03 PM

"Ford Mustang: I have a 2011 mustang 5.0 and have trouble shifting at high RPM.  Dealer has already replaced the brake pedal assembly which was on a TSB.   Still having issues and any help would be appreciated.  

rocket428r
New User
Posted: 07/13/12 04:26 PM

Really mad, my 2011 Mustang GT, will shift into reverse unless I cut the car off then shift to reverse cut on then back up. Also 5th gear grinds, and shifting to 1st I must force the shift with the clucth pressed to the floor, and shifting from 1st to 2nd is the same. Need to know TSB number becuase the local dealer know nothing about it or how to fix issue. At this point I may just buy an T56 Magnum from Tremec hopefully that fixes the shifting, but why should a Mustang owner need to purchase an new transmition when the one in the is still under warranty. Does anyone have any suggestion. Mad  

Radcoons
New User
Posted: 07/16/12 04:02 PM

The Ford dealership kept the TSB, but if you type "ford tsb lookup" we're thinking it was Bulletin #TSB-10-19-4 or Bulletin #AS-21614.  We're having your exact same problem and the T56 Magnum was also what we thought could fix it.  And you're exactly right, we should not have to be paying for a transmission that is under warranty.  Any ideas are welcome.  We're supercharged so unfortunately warranty is out of the question. Confused  

i8urvet
New User
Posted: 09/21/12 11:50 PM

Ok, this all starts on 09-21-11, the day I bought my 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT 6-speed from Mac Haik's Southway Ford, in San Antonio, TX. I am 32 years old and have been an auto technician (mechanic) for 14 years. I know I over paid for the car, after everything the total cost was $42,590.72 with 12892 miles, but it is the car I had always wanted. On 10-05-11 my clutch pedal stayed on to the floor, leaving me without a clutch. This was not a big problem for me, because I can drive the car with or without a clutch. It just gets really complicated when you have to come to a complete stop. When I got home, I jacked the car up to see what happened. I pulled the dust cover plate off to check if I had blown the hydraulic hose or the slave cylinder. What I found, was that my clutch had exploded. So, I then had the car towed to the dealership. I figured this would not be a problem; one, I have a warranty, and two, I had just bought the car. After a day or two, the dealer tells me, that they had pulled my transmission and found the clutch had normal wear and tear, and that the clutch was not covered under the warranty. I replied with, “I just bought the car”. The dealership and I talked back and forth, getting nowhere. So then, I went up to the dealership, and asked if my car was put back together, and they said yes. I then asked, “You put my car back together with a bad clutch?” The service manager said, “No, we removed the dust cover and inspected it.” I just smiled. First they had told me they pulled the transmission, but they did not; and second, I had removed the dust cover and put it in the trunk, so I knew they did not remove it or inspect the car. I took the car and drove it home. At the house, I pulled the transmission and found that the clutch pressure plate dial pins had broken off and the pressure plate was loose. I took pictures and went back to the dealership, where we then worked out a deal; they would pay for half of any clutch I wanted. I was worried about my transmission was hurt, since I had to drive it twice without a clutch, and how bad the pressure plate and clutch looked, so I wanted to buy a good clutch, to prevent this from happening again. I found and bought a DFX Centerforce clutch, put my car back together and picked up my check from the dealership. I made a copy of the check and the check stub, before cashing it. After my car was running great, I wanted nothing else to do with Southway Ford. As time went by, my transmission got harder and harder to shift; but, there was no way, I was going to go back to the dealership where I had gotten lied to and ripped off the first time. On 04-13-12, my little brother bought the same car, but a 2012, he got his at Bluebonnet Ford, in New Braunfels, TX. He tells them my story and they told him, I should take my car to them. Three days later, his transmission looses 5th gear, so we both took Bluebonnet Ford our cars. They were fantastic; they rebuilt my transmission for free under warranty. The car felt great, but as time went by 4th gear started to get hard and when the car would go over 4,200 RPM’s the check engine light would flash with random multiple miss fire codes. This was frustrating, the clutch was finally broken in and I couldn’t play with my car with the check engine light on. I did some research, and found out that my crank sensor needs a relearn procedure every time the clutch is changed. I called the Bluebonnet Ford, and told them what I had found out, the service rider told me to take my car in along with $20 and that he would get one of the techs to do it. While on my way there, my 4th gear blew and the transmission started to make all kinds of noises. The car still has and shifts well in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th gear. I dropped the car off at the dealership, and was told it would take about three days for them to get to my car.  Today, 09-21-12, the service rider calls me and says, they can’t warranty the transmission. I asked why they had warranted it out the first time, but could not this time. His response to me was, “The transmission is a total loss but if you were to buy one, it will have a new warranty.” I said, “Let me talk to a service manager”. The service rider responded, “The manager has all ready left for the day and went on vacation for a week, he will be back the following week.”  I replied, “So you want me to buy a “new” transmission, so I can have a warranty… because it is going to break… when I already have a warranty on this transmission?” He replied, “I can try a few more things, and I will let you know on Monday what I can do.” The stress that this whole situation has caused me is not worth the car. I don’t know what to do. I can just move on and buy a Tremec T-56 Magnum, or I can continue to fight with Ford to do the right thing. This is just not right! Am I wrong for wanting to get my car fixed under warranty?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/22/12 09:58 PM

wow... sounds like that car was really abused prior to you buying it for a BOAT LOAD of money...

who is the warrantee with...   ford or an aftermarket warrantee company...

your comments kinda make it sound like the second dealer who rebuild the transmission.. figured out something that fixed it ...  and now cannot explain to ford warrantee how they got billed for a warrantee job.. and it came back in right away blown up again.. needing another warrantee...

sounds like you need to talk to the warrantee company...

i don't know how ford handles their transmission issues... if they let techs in the dealerships tear down and rebuild transmissions.. or if they only let them exchange them for either a new or a Ford authorized reman unit... ford does keep track of vin numbers on parts coming back..  so perhaps there was a little error where they sent back a different transmission and said it was from your car..  something fishy..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/22/12 10:05 PM

one more thing.. i would really want to check car fax on that vin number.. see if there was actually a lot more mileage entered on an invoice someplace... thats only a thousand miles a month on that car.. thats not a lot..  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 09/26/12 07:33 PM

If your Mustangs are equipped with a diaphram pressure plate the centrifugal fingers that actually help assist in putting pressure on the clutch assy, I think what is happening the throw out bearing is not releasing the diaphram. For your next gear change.

Back in the day we had a heck of a time holding down a 2600 Pressure Plate while at a signal light. But when it came to shifting gears with a Competition Hurst shifter it was a hot knife through butter...LOL...Oh those good old leg cramps, how times have changed. My brother had a Vette did the same thing. It's the way they are built today...Good Luck...

Bob  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/13/12 12:52 AM

All those diaphram fingers could be bent. I don't know if you can get a BORG and BECK type clutch and pressure plate. Thats the best set-up going if you can get as I said a set-up for your car. Get away from the hydaulic assist. Are you men or mouses...LOL...So you put the trans in nuetral when you have along wait.
  Then you'll able to bang gears like we did back in the day.

Bob  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/13/12 01:16 AM

Radcoons:

IF YOU GO TO CAR CRAFT. FEBRUARY 2009. IT SHOWS THE BREAKDOWN OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CLUTCH TYPES. It explains what is the best type. What I real liked about the article. It showed the different type clutches, and what is the best application for your clutch. Good Luck...

Bob