• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Speed warning ?

wbk787
New User
Posted: 01/20/13 12:07 PM

I bought a 2005 Mustang GT. When I reach 75MPH the instrument cluster chime goes off 10 times. When you slow down below 75 and speed up again it goes off again. The dealer I bought the car from took it to a Ford Dealer and they had no idea why it is doing this. I sent an email to Ford and they referred me to my local service department. I pulled the build sheet for the VIN and it has a code for HLIAA- LS SPD AUDIBLE WARNING DEVICE. Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 01/20/13 06:54 PM

wbk787 welcome aboard.

I couldn't find much info on this at all. I remember the Mazda's had a Buzzer when you over revved the Wankle. My son in law is a the Service Manager for 2 different Ford stores in the NJ and NY area (Same Owner). I left an email for him lets see if he gets back to me in a day or 2. I know he is really busy. It's more of a nusense then anything else. I read a few post's on a couple Ford Forum's.

Is there anything that happens? Engine shudder like a rev limiter kicking in would do.
  Service engine soon or lights come on in the dash? Its an option can you beliveve it.

Bob  

wbk787
New User
Posted: 01/20/13 07:16 PM

No, the chime goes off 10 times each time you hit 75 MPH. I have seen other posts on other site asking the same question but did not see any answer to what why it does this or if it can be programed not to do it. Thank for your help!  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/21/13 08:03 AM

was your mustang a RENT A CAR in its early life???

you are hearing the OVERSPEED warning device...  

i have to read up more on it..  it seems that it is programmed in... can it be programmed out..????  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/21/13 08:15 AM

wow.. my first post seems to have vanished... but

its the overspeed warning.. programmed into the cluster..

if your mustang was a rent a car it was turned on for that application..

you can have your cluster reflashed to  AS BUILT  by a ford dealer.. if the cluster was replaced...

replacement clusters usually have overspeed warnings turned on.. and sometimes YOU ARE IN REVERSE warnings turned on also..

if your car was a rent a car in its first life...    this will take more research as i am NOT up on reflashing clusters...

one could just open the windows..  pull the open exhaust cut outs and turn the stereo up really loud..   you won't hear it.. and no body else will hear it for a few hundred feet..

one knows their stereo is working perfectly when the CHP pulls you over from the fastlane on the freeway for excessive loudness from your stereo  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 01/21/13 06:15 PM

My son in law said your car was a rental. He said he doesn't know if there is a way to deprogram it. He hasn't turned wrenches in 15 years. He said FoMoCo may not do anything for you either. The rental car companies wanted a way to protect their cars for resale.... Confused

Back in the day the early 1960's when the Mustangs were very popular. Hertz/Rental had Black/Gold or Gold/Black HiPo Mustangs. Guys would rent them. Remove the Hi-Performance 271/289 engine or some had the 310/289 in the GT500's. Then return the rental car with a low performance engine in it. Grin  Cool

Bob