• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

TIMING ISSUE (ping)

lunatics
New User
Posted: 01/30/13 07:56 AM

I have a 93 5.0 coupe with 117k miles on it.  It was a highway patrol car with an AOD in which had been swapped to 5 speed.  I bought the car last year and started messing with it.  Car is completely stock other than cold air intake and some welded in flows.  I started with a normal tune up, motorsports wires, motorcraft plugs and gap by the manual, new distributor/tfi, msd 6al box, msd coil, mobil 1 synthetic oil and motorsports filter, replaced some bad vacuum lines, new professional products balancer (due to old one was coming apart), checked timing chain slack and its within limits, set base timing at 10 degrees, installed 255 pump, new fuel filter, automotive adjustable regulator, autometer gauge, set fuel pressure at 39 psi, also replaced fuel tank fill tube grommet due to it tore, also checked the rubber lines and fittings all checks good, just replaced the ACT, ECT, TPS one at a time and no difference, cleaned MAF and reclocked with no difference, changed ECM, recently dropped exhaust off and installed offroad h-pipe and flow dumps. I always run 93 octane and have tried seafoam with no luck...HELP!

THE ENGINE PINGS UNDER A LOAD OR A 3RD GEAR PULL STARTING @3K.  If I ease into it doesnt seem to do it or I dont hear it but anything 3/4 to WOT you hear it.  I appologize for a lenghty description but I dont know whats more aggrevating explaining all Ive done to car or consitantly troubleshooting and reading forums.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/30/13 08:20 PM

have you run a KOEO and KOER test... to verify everything is working properly...

at the end of the KOER test... the last thing the scan tool commands you to is to GOOSE THE ENGINE...

this is a quarter second motion to almost WOT. but you are OPENING and CLOSING the Throttle before the engine can overspeed...  this tests the detonation sensors in the side of the block.. that the computer can hear them...

i would also like you to follow the FORD TSB...

reroute the spark plug wires where they pass over the valve cover...  you are NOT changing the firing order.. only the way they lay next to each other..

at the separators next to the drivers side of the distributer and over the valve cover... please change the order in the separators to 7, 5, 6, 8..      because 7 and 8 fire 1/4 of a turn apart... one is half way up the compression stroke with a full charge of air and fuel.. when the wires running too close for too far induce a current and create a GHOST spark... this lights the cylinder too early, burns off part of the fuel... causes it to PING as its now too lean as the piston gets to the top and the regulator spark happens at the top of the compression stroke..

Fordsparkplugwiringroutingcap

Fordsparkplugiwirerouting

post any codes you get..  either current or history...

can you check that the EGR is getting vacuum while you drive.. tee in a vacuum gauge right at the EGR valve so you can see what vacuum signal the EGR SOLENOID is pulsing to the egr valve...

without proper EGR flow..  the engine will PING as you describe as its TOO LEAN...
what.. yep..

the EGR flow dilutes the percentage of burnable oxygen in the incoming air charge.. this reduces the need for fuel.. in open loop when you accelerate the computer cannot tell that there is NOT enough EGR FLOW and the engine pings because of the lean mixture...

also if you have codes from the self test.. the computer backs off on the power and the MPG to save the motor..  get the codes fixed and verified... you will be much happier..  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 01/31/13 04:31 PM

lunatics welcome aboard:

The engine has a lot of miles on it. Have you tried a top engine cleaner. Something that just cleans the top of the pistons. Something you can dribble in the PCV hose. Or down the intake a little a time,but you need to keep the REVS up while doing this I would do this away from any other cars.
  If FoMoCo doesn't have a top end conditioners GM makes a good one. I have used it many times. You won't believe the crap that will come out of the pipes.
  I would use the GM cleaner/top end conditioner, just follow the directions. I would try that first before you go chasing a ping.

Bob  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 02/01/13 12:17 AM

instructions for bobs fix.. mine was only a first thought..

Carbon Knock Noise On Acceleration for Ford Vehicles with 4.0L Engines

Affects Ford Aerostar, Explorer and Ranger applications from 1990 to 2000 with 4.0L OHV engines.

Some vehicies equipped with the 4.0L OHV engine may exhibit an engine noise which might be perceived by the customer as a piston/connecting rod bearing knock. This carbon knock is heard only under load during the drive cycle. Carbon knock is a customer drive-duty-cycle phenomenon that cannot be repaired with an engine exchange. This may be caused by carbon build-up within the combustion chamber.

Action
Verify condition. If normal diagnostics fail to correct the condition, de-carbon the combustion chamber to help quiet the carbon knock noise. Refer to the appropriate service manual for details.

Service Procedure for Installers
1. Use Motorcraft carburetor Tune-up cleaner PM-3.
2. Carbon removal:
 a. Disconnect canister purge linefrom throttle body.
 b. Attach a vacuum line to the canister purge port.
 c. At hot engine idle, allow the engine to ingest 1/2 to 2/3 of a can of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner. Use caution not to ingest too quickly due to potential hydro-lock issues.
 d. Shut engine off and allow it to soak for one hour.
 e. Start engine, allow engine to ingest the remainder of the Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner.
 f. Remove vacuum line and re-install canister purge line.
 g. Road test vehicle at 3,500 rpm for 2-3 miles.
 h. Repeat above procedure two times for a total of three times.
 i. Change oil and filter.

3. Review' the customers' driving habits. The recommended drive cycle should include daily periods of engine operation above 3,000 RPM, such as a brisk acceleration from a stop position. This will break/burn the carbon off the piston head.

4. Ford recommends customer use regular unleaded 87 octane fuel. Mid-grade and premium fuels may increase the probability of carbon buildup, leading to a knock noise.  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 02/05/13 09:02 AM

Thanks Wayne: As you know I've had log on problems.

Yeah that was a first line of thought for me.
It will not hurt either way. It will atleast
clean the top end of the engine...

Bob  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 02/20/13 06:58 AM

Wayne
We never hear from a poster whether we helped them or not.

Bob Aka-pepsi1  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 02/20/13 08:19 AM

i know bob.. but people still read our posts and learn from them...

thats why i do it..  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 02/21/13 07:17 PM

Oh I know Wayne thats why I keep at it too. The problems I've been having I think most guys would have given up...It seems theres a security breach in the system.

Have a good one Bud.