• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

93 cobra front brakes

merc1967
New User
Posted: 05/14/13 08:09 PM

I need a better front brake system for my 88 lx and was wondering if there is any difference between what I have and the 93 cobra front brakes. if so, is it an easy swap, has anyone else done it and what were the results, are there any extra parts I will need? thank you.
roger  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 05/15/13 06:32 AM

i think that exact swap has been covered in several articles .. so hang on ..

i seem to recall that cobra brakes might also be 5 bolt lugs so wheels and axle shafts might also be needed..

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0207_steedas_cobra_brake_upgrade_kit/

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0402mm_roush/

before you change...

are you having an issue with your brakes??? like a soft or spongy pedal...
if the rotors or drums have a LIP where there is metal worn away... the brakes will be ineffective and spongy..

why...  brake pads are parallel when new... ||....||  

calipers have parallel faces... |       |=

if the rotors are worn or the brake drums are worn... the  brake pads will contact close to the center.. then something has to flex to make full contact..  usually the caliper will ever so slightly deflect..       so.. have your rotors and drums machined when doing brake jobs...

||/=\||  worn rotors.. new pads..

|||=|||  fresh rotors new pads..

i don't have a cutaway view to really show the issue..  

merc1967
New User
Posted: 05/16/13 03:31 AM

thank you wayne. the stock caliper/pad/rotor setup and linelock on my 88 is not holding the car in the burnout box. I was hoping a swap to the 93 cobra setup would help me. so far no response from some one who has done this swap.
roger  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 05/16/13 03:07 PM

curious....

are the front tires sliding out of the box??? or do the front calipers not hold tight enough.

i use to work at a drag strip here in so cal... and also raced there when i was not working..

i have run across the ford RWAL valves 2 wheel anti lock.. actually anti skid... for ford trucks and vans... these are ONLY for the rears...

i have thought that these would make great line lock valves... as you could still modulate the front brakes but dump the pressure out of the rears to get them to spin...  instead of trapping the pressure to the front brakes...

do you have a brake pressure gauge to the fronts.. so you can see if you have pumped the brake pedal enough to lock them????
and yes.. that line would need to be properly bled...

Rabshowitworks

Abs Rwal Valve  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 05/16/13 03:13 PM

also.. hold on for a few days... as most people check the forums on the weekend and some evenings..