• Digital Subscriptions
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Subscriber Services
  • Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

1983 Ford Mustang GLX Convertible, V8 4spd Rare?

greg-#010
New User
Posted: 04/22/07 04:17 PM

Is a 1983 Ford Mustang GLX Convertible, V-8 4spd rare?  

DonB-83GLX
New User
Posted: 06/02/07 09:53 AM

Since I have one, it can't be too rare! Smile

Actually, it is in a manner of speaking. The GLX convertible was only available in 83. It initially was only available (with the 302) in an automatic. When they switched over to a manual, it came with a *** 4 speed. That was changed quickly to a T-5. I purchased mine in February 1983 (yup, original owner). I have only seen 2 others with a 4 speed, and that was in the 80's.

Keep in mind that there were only 120k sold in any configuration for 1983. The 12k price for GLX convertibles (mine was 15) was HIGH, and sales were minimal. There were 5,368 5.0 GLX Mustangs sold that year.

While it gets infrequent use, try this link: http://groups.msn.com/1983FordMustangGLXConvertibles/  

scarey1
New User
Posted: 11/18/08 10:53 AM

Icon QuoteDonB-83GLX:
Since I have one, it can't be too rare! Smile

Actually, it is in a manner of speaking. The GLX convertible was only available in 83. It initially was only available (with the 302) in an automatic. When they switched over to a manual, it came with a *** 4 speed. That was changed quickly to a T-5. I purchased mine in February 1983 (yup, original owner). I have only seen 2 others with a 4 speed, and that was in the 80's.

Keep in mind that there were only 120k sold in any configuration for 1983. The 12k price for GLX convertibles (mine was 15) was HIGH, and sales were minimal. There were 5,368 5.0 GLX Mustangs sold that year.

While it gets infrequent use, try this link: http://groups.msn.com/1983FordMustangGLXConvertibles/

i have one too,its for sale,118k miles,red,white top,loded,all original,but the wheels.sac. ca,530-620-3665,scott Laugh  Laugh  

Wythors
New User
Posted: 11/18/08 09:43 PM

The figure I can find in my arsenal is 5,368 GLX convertibles made in 83.  This is from the Fox Body Recognition Guide.  

86CobraGT
User
Posted: 12/04/08 07:50 AM

1983 was the first year for the Mustang convertible. It was initially launched as a GLX with the 3.8-liter Essex V-6 and three speed automatic transmission. A 302 ci, 5.0 liter V-8  with four-barrel carb and four-speed overdrive was the initial option. The five-speed Borg Warner T-5 was a running change during the model year. To the best of my knowledge, there was  no V-8/automatic combo offered for ’83, that would change the following year when Ford offered the central fuel injected 302 V-8 and AOD four-speed automatic trans combination. The vast majority of ’83 Mustang convertibles were GLX models, a few GT convertibles were offered late in the model year. From 1984 onwards, convertibles were offered in LX or GT trim. Through 1986 the base LX convertible engine remained the 3.8 liter V6, strictly with a three speed automatic, with the 5.0 liter V-8 optional. For 1986 a single sequential fuel injected V8 replaced the CFI automatic and Carb five-speed combos and was offered with both transmissions.

The 1983 Mustang convertibles were fairly rare to begin with and today are not often seen. So these days, an early build, four-speed equipped V-8 car would be definitely be rare.  

MadPainter
New User
Posted: 01/21/09 10:07 PM

I'm going to look at a 83 mustang GLX tomorrow it's super clean rust free with 88,000 miles
but it's lightly wrecked.
he's asking $1,400.
well see, hopeing to get it for $1,000
I already have the parts to fix it, I'm really wanting to get it.
blue with blue int,and White top

what do you guys think?  

shipfitter_sjd
User
Posted: 01/22/09 04:32 AM

What does "lightly wrecked" mean? Is that like "lightly rusted through"?

Sorry. I just couldn't resist!  
Member of COUGAR CLUB OF NEW ENGLAND (#25) www.necougarclub.com
Member of DODGE TRUCK WORLD (Maine Chapter) http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....ry.asp?id=4871

2006 Ford Mustang
1970 Mercury Cougar (19,300 miles )
2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quadcab
1994 S-10 Blazer Tahoe
1968 Mercury Cougar DGS (Parting Out)

Retired Navy (Submarine Service) E-7 MMC(SS)
USS Simon Bolivar SSBN-641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson SSBN-730 (B)
USS Gurnard SSN-662

Shipfitter @ Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine. Building Aegis class destroye

MadPainter
New User
Posted: 01/27/09 07:19 PM

Well I got it for $1000,
looks great AND NO RUST

As for the little wrecked...
needs radiator support,radiator, a/c coil,headlight assembly, bumper, and bumper cover. and a little paint.
the car is unbelievably stock,for its age it is in great shape. Even the convertible top.

It's academy blue with Lt blue interior, and White top.  

GLXRICK
New User
Posted: 03/07/09 06:36 PM

I was lucky enough to pick up a 1983 GLX drop top last year from the original owner. He was a retired exec from Ford. I got the original window sticker, sales brochure and it's a 5.0 5-speed, never been messed with and is totally stock right dow to the OEM hubcaps! 57K miles and never been in the snow and stored in a heated garage.
I know of a guy not far from me that has a GLX w/4-speed. It truly is a rare item but the SROD 4-speed was/is crap.......RICK  

Richelles
New User
Posted: 04/03/09 04:42 PM

I have a 1983 GLX with a 5.0 badge on the fenders. I inquired of Cars and Concepts years ago when I bought this from an original owner. They said mine was one of the early 5.0 liter, four on the floor, cars. It is in nice condition and the only changes I have made are dropping the metric wheels for the 10 hole Mustang wheels and Goodyear Gator backs, removed the electric fan and replaced that with a 84 GT fan and belt assembly, and rear wheel disc brakes. I had a new top installed. In addition I have two other GLX V6 convertibles including what C&C said was the 12th one made with the VIN ending in 12. It is likewise stock with the above mentioned fan and belt exchange from the 84 GT and rear wheel disc brakes. It needs a top. I also have another which is for parts for the other two. I'm getting too old to keep up with things like this and would like to find them a new home where they would be appreciated. By the way neither has 100,000 miles and both have clean original paint. The two runners had  

codeman9993
New User
Posted: 06/11/09 12:47 PM

well i have a 1983 GLX with a t-roof, 3.8L and its automatic, only 75,000 kms  Cool ...is that rare at all with the t-roof? also i cant find any info online about it so if anyone can tell me anything or where to look thanks. Grin  

New User
Posted: 07/04/09 08:26 AM

I too have a 1983 GLX, it just turned 105k this week. It is a 5.0 w five speed. I took out the 4 speed a couple of years ago. It is gray with black hood section and black top. Every thing works on the car. Where can I get more info on this model?  

83GLX50
New User
Posted: 07/21/09 04:26 PM

I have a 1983 GLX 5.0 V8 Mustang coupe with a T5 manual transmission. It is Dark Metallic Blue with a light Academy Blue interior. I had it for about a year. I drive it daily. It just got to 100K. It was a single owner car, with no mods, no AC, no power windows, factory installed traction bars and in great shape when I bought it. The title has the weight at 2,572 lbs. GLX's had chrome trim, mirrors and rocker panels and this stuff is in great shape. It ran well but I wanted to drive it everyday so a friend pulled and painted the engine, adjusted the valves, replaced all engine seals, gaskets, fluids, filters, freeze out plug, motor mounts, transmission mounts, transmission cross member (some rust), air pump (bad bearing), water pump (small leak), alternator (rebuilt), choke (broke), timing chain, belt, steel brake lines, brake pads, tie rods (one bent), bushings (worn), rack & pinion (steering leak), hoses, battery, battery leads, headliner. I added aluminized steel dual exhaust with chrome tips and a K&N air filter. It came with the original steel wheels and new Pirelli tires. I found a set of original 83 Mustang steel wheel covers on ebay.  From the information I've gathered, there were only 36 in this build configuration. I love this car!!! I have been thinking about some mods but haven't made up my mind on anything. I've thought about rear disk brakes but if I did that should I switch to 5 lug and change the wheels? Should I lower the car also? If I did that, should I change the shocks? It's a daily driver and I wasn't thinking about any engine mods at this point. What are your suggestions?  

bigdaddyii
New User
Posted: 07/27/09 01:47 AM

How do you tell the build # on a 83 GLX Mustang Convertible ? I have a light blue GLX convertible that was built in early March 11,1983 . It was originally a V6 3 speed auto no power seats,windows,or A/C . I drove this car for years from spring to late fall . It is still a fairly clean and staight car with very minor rust on one door . The only thing that I have done to this is I upgraded it to a full 89 GT 5.0 drivetrain complete except I retained the C4 trans . This was a complete wire/bracket/sensor conversion nothing left off . I changed the interior including dash except the rear seat side panels . This was done by me for my enjoyment of this car ( you had to really beat on that old 3.8 essex to get it to 100mph ). The only sheet metal I have changed on it was the hood . I swapped on an 84 gt turbo hood because I sold my wife's and kept the hood . It has 15 inch 10 hole wheels . And it has never had a radio since I've had it (14 years and counting) It still looks like an 83 from the outside , But under the hood total 89 package here it should be and how it should look ! I am just curious to the build #s and when did the start building them ? Always remember early March was the start And what does the black plate on the inside jamb of the drives door specify? Mines got 0000007 ? In the future this car will be set up for Silver State Classic open road race with a feul injected 392 stroker 351 windsor . I just love this car and want to know a little more about it . thanks Ron  

tomglx
New User
Posted: 08/01/09 06:44 PM

do you mind my asking how much you paid for it? I have one that sounds very similar but still has the metric wheels. All original.  

123 Last