• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

4.6 or 5.4 in 63.5 Galaxie 500

GalaxieFMD
New User
Posted: 08/13/07 08:06 PM

Anyone know of anyone doing this same restomod? I'm restoring a 63.5 Galaxie and want to run a modern drivetrain. The reasons are twofold: drive daily if desired and have something that is rare. I prefer to have a DOHC engine and AOD tranny. Obviously this is a big car but I'm not looking at doing burouts. This project is for my 72 year old Dad, who has always wanted a 63.5 Fastback Galaxie but could never afford one. This is for him. Any help with installing a 4.6 DOHC and modern features will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for tips, suppliers and ideas.
Smirk  

metermike
New User
Posted: 11/25/07 03:51 PM

Hi, Early this year I put a 4.6 DOHC in a 63 country sedan (Galaxie body) with a Tremec TKO 500,   but I am using a Holley carb.   If you want email me at    metermike@yahoo.com and I can email you a couple pictures.   I can also give you the low down on what needs modified to make it fit,    Thanks  Mike s.  

mgtacp
New User
Posted: 09/16/12 05:05 PM

I am working on a 63 sedan with a 5.4 in it.  I used the motor out of a 2004 Expedition.  To fit the engine I cut the oil pan around its perimeter about an inch from the gasket flange and flipped it around 180 degrees to make it a front sump pan.  Then mod the oil pick up to fit.  I had to put a rack and pinion set up to clear the exhaust manifold on the left side.  Custom motor mounts using the stock flanges on the frame as a base.  I am using an Automatic overdirve (R75) out of a van.  Switched to an 8.8 rearend out of a 02 explorer sportrack.  (many came with a 3.73 limited slip)  You can also use the sway bar set up and it comes with 11 inch disk brakes.  The intake set up will not clear the hood without mods.  I used a teardrop scoop.  A couple of companies out there are making the required harness and can get the programming set up to get it running.  Ford ECUs require inputs from several sensors throughout the driveline and dash cluster. I have yet to get on the road with it due to many other commitments.  let me know if you have addtional questions.  All that said, I would not do the swap again.  At least not using a mod motor.  The thing ways about what a 390 with iron heads weighs anyway.  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 09/17/12 06:35 PM

I had a 63.5 390 Fastback back in the day. My brother came home and said I'm buying a car that is going to kick you aarrzz. Well I came home and there was this 1964 Galaxie 500 fastback, Black on Black. It was a beautifull car. It had an R-Code 427. He wasn't kidding about kicking my aarrzz. I swear that engine pulled so hard It would put your eyes in the back of your head. At the same time (IF) you could see it, watch the gas gauge go down.

I'm not a purist, but I believe in keeping those cars the way they were built. If it has a 289,352,390,or any of the 427 options. Leave it alone, and don't do anything to undo it's intended beauty....