• Print Subscriptions
  • Digital Subscriptions
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Subscriber Services
  • Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

converting vinyl top to hardtop...help!?

ryann1967
New User
Posted: 03/24/08 02:30 PM

hi. i have a 1967 mustang, it has a vinyl top, which is not in the greatest of condition, and i never wanted one in the first place...is there any way it can be removed to reveal the hard top underneath? How would i go about doing that? is it worth it?

please help! Confused  

68stang63falcon
New User
Posted: 03/24/08 02:44 PM

If you remove it, the hardtop color most likely would not match the rest of the car.  Depending on how old your paint job is, the sun ect... will fade a paint job.  I have one on my 68, but have never removed it.  I'm not sure if these are glued down or not.  I would imagine there has to be some sort of adhesive to hold them on. Unless you plan on repainting the entire car, I would replace the one you have.  New vinyl tops are really reasonable.  My 2 cents worth.

john  

ryann1967
New User
Posted: 03/24/08 05:58 PM

well i got the car about 6 months ago, and with a brand-new paint job, same as the original color, but in better condition - of course...

any other suggestions, as I really do like hardtops much more...?  

68stang63falcon
New User
Posted: 03/24/08 08:34 PM

well, you should be able to pop off the chrome strip above the rear 1/4 panel.  if you rotate the chrome strip up it should pop off.  maybe then you can see if the vinyl top has beeen glued otherwise I would go to the person that painted it and see what they did when it was installed.

john  

Falcon67
Enthusiast
Posted: 03/25/08 07:10 AM

All vinyl tops are glued, AFAIK.  To get it off, remove the trim and use a heat gun to start peeling it off.  It's just work.  Hate 'em, personally.  I'd rather drive a half primered car than one with a crappy vinyl top on it.  
1967 Falcon 4 door - 351C
1970 Mustang coupe - 351C
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

ryann1967
New User
Posted: 03/26/08 08:57 AM

thank you for the help everyone. I guess I'll have to set some time aside for this project, but its definitely worth it NOT to have a vinyl top!

Wink  

Normanator15
New User
Posted: 07/23/09 07:37 AM

hey Ryan, did you ever get the vinyl roof removed? if so, how did it come out? did you find any rust underneath?  

68uboat
New User
Posted: 06/17/10 03:16 PM

2 more cents from a new member. I have removed several vinyl tops including my current daily driver (68 XL) and all of them were held in place with glue. Nasty glue that will not come off without a fight and keeps the "fuzzy backing of the top and pulls away paint. Often the roof of the car was not even painted the same color as the body from the factory, so a paint job will be in order. Also, worn or torn vinyl tops are notorious for holding water and rotting holes in your sail panels. There are usually studs that hold the chrome trim in place that will need to be ground and filled. So get ready for some light (hopefully) bodywork and paint! Is it worth it? In my opinion... very much so!  

68uboat
New User
Posted: 06/17/10 03:19 PM

2 more cents from a new member. I have removed several vinyl tops including my current daily driver (68 XL) and all of them were held in place with glue. Nasty glue that will not come off without a fight and keeps the "fuzzy backing of the top and pulls away paint. Often the roof of the car was not even painted the same color as the body from the factory, so a paint job will be in order. Also, worn or torn vinyl tops are notorious for holding water and rotting holes in your sail panels. There are usually studs that hold the chrome trim in place that will need to be ground and filled. So get ready for some light (hopefully) bodywork and paint! Is it worth it? In my opinion... very much so!