• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tips for broken brake light switch wiring

waynep712
New User
Posted: 03/23/09 09:19 AM

I have found over the years that some models that have the brake light switch mounted on the pedal have wiring problems...

this is do to the swinging of the pair of wires with every brake application... eventually the wires will break...

when this happens.. the brake lights will not function.. on later models... the shift interlock will not release... except with the key only part way turned on .  pulling the shifter to Neutral the car or truck will then start to get you home... but you may not have brake lights....    a lot cheeper than a tow truck...

to take care of the fatigued wires...  stop at a radio shack...  they sell small rolls of 19 gauge test lead wire ...  replace the last 6 inches of both wires that run to the brake light switch with this super flex wire...

fully insulated crimp on terminals are also available... in both straight on... as every body knows about... but there are also fully insulated flag terminals available.. the wire comes out the back side... these come in handy for some applications where there is limited clearance..

oh... and one more...   every once in a while...  a car or truck will come along that the brake lights just don't come on with light pedal pressure...    you really have to mash the pedal  to get them to work... swapping out brake light switches really does not help much... putting a thin shim between the back of the brake pedal push rod and the inside of the switch usually fixes this...    shim stock.... think a slice of soft drink can cut with scissors.   pushed in... wiggled in.  usually you have to gently rock the switch up and down to get it in..  bend the short ends over slightly to hold it in place.. but make sure the ends are not long enough to short out anything...     in the years i have been fixing cars .. i have only needed to do this on 3.. but the customers were going out of their mind with late to work brake lights...

hope this tip helps some people...

here are some part numbers

conduct tite 85556 for red, straight on fully insulated connectors
conduct tite 84170 for red, flag fully insulated terminals

oops. just checked with radio shack... they don't sell the test lead wire in bulk rolls anymore...  but some electronic stores may have some...  i have seen it in 17 gauge and in 19 gauge ...odd sizes yes.. but it is very fine stranded wire..  

MustangMan
Posted: 03/23/09 01:06 PM

Good Info Wayne...

I've had to fix a few brake light connectors over the years as well. Nice tip on the shim stock. My neighbor's '68 is just as you described. Might be time to cut up one of those extra Bud Light cans he has laying around the garage! LOL

Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

CandyP
New User
Posted: 01/23/15 08:54 PM

waynep712 -

I feel compelled to say Kudos to you. I know a total of zero about cars, but I love my 2000 Mustang. I was experiencing the shift interlock not releasing and actually jimmied it w/ a screwdriver to get it into gear for several weeks.  Just today I was told I have no brake lights. The oil-change guys and guys from two different auto parts stores looked at my fuses, but none of them could tell me what was wrong. i got down there myself tonight out of curiosity and started poking around and noticed that one of the wires going into the brake light switch is completely severed...it feels brittle and hard. Having no idea what a brake light switch even was, I looked around online to find out what it was that the wire was supposed to be going into and found your post. I'm even going to attempt to fix it myself first thing tomorrow. So THANK YOU...Keep sharing your knowledge.  

CandyP
New User
Posted: 01/23/15 08:54 PM

waynep712 -

I feel compelled to say Kudos to you. I know a total of zero about cars, but I love my 2000 Mustang. I was experiencing the shift interlock not releasing and actually jimmied it w/ a screwdriver to get it into gear for several weeks.  Just today I was told I have no brake lights. The oil-change guys and guys from two different auto parts stores looked at my fuses, but none of them could tell me what was wrong. i got down there myself tonight out of curiosity and started poking around and noticed that one of the wires going into the brake light switch is completely severed...it feels brittle and hard. Having no idea what a brake light switch even was, I looked around online to find out what it was that the wire was supposed to be going into and found your post. I'm even going to attempt to fix it myself first thing tomorrow. So THANK YOU...Keep sharing your knowledge.  

Just Try It1
New User
Posted: 03/23/15 01:47 AM

thanks candy.. wayne here..

just to help everybody out..

http://i.imgur.com/bYJzliE.jpg

motorcraft WPT197 is available from all ford dealers and oreilly autoparts stores

autozone sells the part number 674 from duralast..  or the same number from wells brand .. for stop light switch pigtails.