Ad Radar
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1965 Mustang c-4 transmission manual control lever seal replacement

Grant01.
New User
Posted: 02/15/10 04:11 PM

Can someone please tell me how to get the lever off on a 1965 Mustang C-4 transmission to replace the seal that is leaking fluid.  I tried prying on it, but i was scared I ight break something.  Do I have to remove the pan and the valve body and take something loose on the inside and slide the shaft and lever out as 1 peice?  Thanks for any help!    Grant  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 02/15/10 09:02 PM

drain the fluid...  drop the pan..    remove the filter...      take out only the 7/16 headed bolts  that will drop the valve body...

take the kick down linkage lever off..       you can then use a large wrench.. and loosen the big nut on the inside of  shaft.... this will allow the outer shaft to slide outwards... the inner shaft will then come out inside the case.. with the big nut and quadrant on it..   you can then pry out the shift shaft seal.. pound in a new one.  with care... i like to pack the back of the seal with a little transmission assy lube.. if it has an exposed garter spring on it.. i don't think it does..

you can then put the kick down lever with the nut on the shaft first.. then the quadrant..   then insert it into the case..  pushing the shift shaft through from the outside..   you can slide the quadrant onto the flats ... tighten the nut tight..  it should move freely..  

the trick now is to get the link down lever tab into the proper gap on the top of the valve body..  it goes between a stop and a spring loaded plunger..    so when you get the valve body up...  the kick down lever will only move about half and inch.. and you will feel it against the spring loaded piston..

you will need a new pan gasket... i new tranmission filter..  i don';t remember if there is a spring and plunger behind the tab on the filter on these early models..   a new shift shaft seal.. a new kick down  shaft seal/ oring.. some are custom 4 lobe crossection seals..  wider more sealing surface.. 4 or 5 quarts of Type F trans fluid..

there is also a neutral safety switch..

if you respond to this.. i will try to catch up and continue ...  

Falcon67
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/16/10 07:49 AM

Pictures might help:
Transseala
Transsealb

Notes:
You do not have to remove the filter - there are no valve body attachment bolts under the filter.  If you do remove the filter to change it, note the orientation of the little pintle valve and spring - they must go back as removed.

Also, you will have to line up the kick down lever AND the manual valve with the shifter lever.  Make sure the shifter lever goes back in the case in the same orientation - they are different between a column shift and a floor shift.

You MUST use an in/lb torque wrench to put the valve body back in the trans.  The torque specs for the 7/16" valve body bolts is 80-120 in/lbs.  Do NOT guess at this.  Buy the tool or take the car to a trans shop.  
x  
1967 Falcon 4 door - 351C
1970 Mustang coupe - 351C
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

Grant01.
New User
Posted: 02/16/10 11:17 PM

Thanks!  It went just like you described.  I had to remove the valve body 2 times to get the levers lined up.  Someone overhauled the tranny about 3 years ago and I have not put 200 miles on the car, but they did not replace the lever seal or the "o-ring".  I bought the car and it was leaking fluid and a friend of mine wants to buy it and ship it to Australia.  Thanks Again!  Grant  

Grant01.
New User
Posted: 02/16/10 11:22 PM

Thanks also for your reply and photos.  I got the job done.  Thanks again and look at my earlier post.  Grant  

MustangMan
Posted: 02/17/10 09:06 AM

Great help guys. I knew I could count on one or both of you to reply! I wish we had a forum user rating system so I could offer gold stars! LOL

Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

Falcon67
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/17/10 01:04 PM

Your praise is more than enough (said Mr. Suck Up).   Grin  
1967 Falcon 4 door - 351C
1970 Mustang coupe - 351C
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

archebald23
New User
Posted: 07/01/10 05:55 AM

you got nice guys here, followed the instructions and was able to have the job done. i just had a difficulty removing the transmission pan gasket, but other than this all went smooth. thanks guys.  

MustangMan
Posted: 07/01/10 10:39 AM

Glad the forum and its users could help you Archebald23. Feel free to stick around and add to the threads with your own questions, observations, and comments!

Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

289PONY
New User
Posted: 11/14/10 08:47 PM

I have been looking for this exact information with this type of detail for days now, thanks for the info. I had the exact problem trying to get to the inner seal and did not want to do anything wrong. The C4 was rebuilt before completing the 65 Pony restore but tech did not replace any seals, they leaked just sitting there never driven. I will be doing the project this week end and will let you know how it goes.  

Jeff19676
New User
Posted: 11/17/11 10:02 PM

Can anyone tell me where the shift shaft seal is, on the inside or outside of the case? And the best way to remove and replace it?

Also where the seal and O ring can be purchased?

Thanks

Jeff  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 11/17/11 11:26 PM

Timken Transmission Seal   Part Number: 7929S

Part Number: 7929S

Application: With 3 speed automatic transmission Selector shaft

Seal Housing Bore 1.063"
Seal Housing Material: Steel
Seal Installation Style: Press Fit
Seal Lip Material: Nitrile
Seal Outside Diameter  1.067"
Seal Shaft Size (in): 0.75
Seal Width 0.187"

depending on where you live...
there are automatic transmission parts stores.. that sell to transmission rebuilders.

some transmission shops will sell them to you ..     you will also need a pan gasket..  as you will have to drop the pan..  

you might want to make sure that the oil is NOT leaking from the inner shaft where an oring was left out of the end of the manual lever shaft.. ...

the seal presses into the side of the case..

the kick down shaft o ring is in the end of the manual lever..   one manufacturer came out with a modified kick down shaft oring..  that instead of being a round section..  is a 4 lobed section.. so it seals better against the shaft.. its been a LONG time since i heard about these special orings..  

lovemy64tbird
New User
Posted: 06/12/13 04:05 PM

Hi Wayne...
I had to replace the Shift Shaft Seal on my 1966 Mustang C4 Automatic transmission.
I also had to replace the Neutral Safety Switch... All is good except that inner down shift level... The inner shaft keeps sliding out of the case and the inner downshift lever falls off into the valve body...  How do I stop that shaft from pulling out??  It is the shaft that runs through the center of the NSSwitch and the downshift linkage is attached.  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 06/14/13 06:11 AM

Icon Quotelovemy64tbird:
Hi Wayne...
I had to replace the Shift Shaft Seal on my 1966 Mustang C4 Automatic transmission.
I also had to replace the Neutral Safety Switch... All is good except that inner down shift level... The inner shaft keeps sliding out of the case and the inner downshift lever falls off into the valve body...  How do I stop that shaft from pulling out??  It is the shaft that runs through the center of the NSSwitch and the downshift linkage is attached.

there is a nut that holds the shifter detent plate to the double D shape on the inner end of the manual lever...

you would have had to use a large combo wrench to loosen the nut.. to get the shaft out...  it might have fallen into the drain pan...

the inner shaft goes thru the  nut then the detent plate.. then the outer shaft slides thru the case...  the detent plate is slipped into place on the flats of the outer shaft...  the nut tightened..

do me a favor.. try not to KILL the inner nut tight..   the lever on the outside of the case.. is just barely attached to the shaft.. i have had several break loose and prevent the transmission from being shifted..  requiring either one of the aftermarket clamp on shift levers... or a replacement from a transmission donor or many transmission parts suppliers have boxes of them...

in fact.. thats  a great idea... i have a friend with a transmission parts supply.. perhaps i will lay them all out on a table and snap some images....  

you might be able to look at this drawing..  to help...

Service Ford Mustang C4 Transmission Transmission Cutaway