• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Rewiring old 61 Ford

slud
User
Posted: 07/05/10 10:16 AM

Ok, Waynep, realy need advice. Gave up on tilt for now, nothing I have found will work easily. I have a bare bones Ford. I want to add the electronic ignition box, and add a MSD 6 or 6A. Electric fans, maybe. Would you get a newer style fuse box that goes under the hood, or the flip down style fuze box like on the Fords in the 80's or 90's? I want to upgrade to a newer style alternator and do away with generator. I know that this will take some time to explain, so I need your help in small, easy to do doses. I have acess to a couple of old ford trucks, and a bronco. 84..85 86 vintage.. Is this a good place to start?  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 07/05/10 03:27 PM

small bites ???  

electronic ignition..
the easy way it to get a pertronics ignition.. they take 5 minutes to install..
the second and more reliable way to go go duraspark .. i take it that you have a FE motor in that galaxy..  so a 75/76 F250 with a 360 distributer would drop right in..  

i normally grab duraspark harnesses from mid 70s' to early 80's ford cars and trucks..    using a blue module from the parts store.. the red wire hooks to the coil + wire to run the module.. the white wire hooks to the I terminal on the starter relay..  and you get a 10 degree start retard.

msd can be added to the duraspark.. or just an MSD system..

there are so many different shapes of load centers or relay centers that can be added...   just be sure to keep track of the exact car year , make and model that you got it from. or scratch the vin number into it..  this way when you carefully extract it from the donor... you can get a wiring diagram so you can wire it into your system..

there is also the alternator ..  there are so many that can be installed...    got any FEs that you can grab a bracket off of... so you can mount a later alternator..   you can install one of the large ford units.. with a self energizing voltage regulator that bolts to the back.. so you have a one wire alternator.. that can put out over 100 amps..

there are just so many options..

i know you ask for small bites... but you used a multi part question.. i only try to answer with what's needed.. but i also have to thing about all the people who are going to read this for years to come..  

slud
User
Posted: 07/06/10 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, Waynep. Ok, so can you wire in the dist. first, and check to see if it will run? I'll pull the whole harness I need..can I split it, and just do the dist. or should I gather all the parts, and try to do it all at once? Thats what I meant by small doses... my skill level on electronics is mediocre, at best!! lol.If I could do it in stages, that would be better, where I can go back and double check myself. Haven't made it to junk yard yet, I'm hoping the truck has the good flip out fuze box... If it don't what do I want.. at least 1 ft of wire to be able to splice to? We have alldata here at work, and I can follow schematics and color codes ok.  [ did it again, didn't I] too many questions, and only want 1 answer!! Bear with me, buddy!!! Thanks ,slud.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 07/06/10 10:36 PM

how about some pictures of the underhood..  i know its messy.. but with the air cleaner off.. and enough light.

do you have a diagram for the 61??? did i already send you one???  i cannot remember.. i am all over the forums so many different people every day..  

slud
User
Posted: 07/07/10 01:08 PM

Funny that you mention pictures..a long time Ford fanatic buddy was in today, and I mentioned this site, you for the help and ideas..he just got an old 64 Ford Galaxy, same motor...His take was " take some pictures, cause' you ain't gonna remember, and I would like to do the same thing to mine!!!" SOOOO.. I have a digital camera, I will document the procedure, and see if I can get the niece to show me how to post the pictures.You ARE RIGHT...this may help someone else. Thanks again, slud.