• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1 inch Sway bar

Raulh
New User
Posted: 07/20/10 01:55 PM

Hi,
I have installed an 1 inch sway bars on my 68 Mustang, and would like to know if the torque for the sway bar to the lower control arm is the same (5-10 FT.Lbs)as the original sway bar as stated in the manual?

Thanks

Raul  

slud
User
Posted: 07/20/10 02:17 PM

Yes. Did you get the better urathane bushings?  

Raulh
New User
Posted: 01/02/11 11:54 AM

Hi,
Sorry, for the very late reply, been busy with other matters. And thanks for the help.

Raul  

Raulh
New User
Posted: 01/02/11 11:56 AM

Hi Again,
Yes I got the urathane bushings.

Raul  

Joe_Dallas
New User
Posted: 12/03/11 11:08 AM

Just curious, what is the stock diameter on the sway bar for 64-66 mustangs?  Is it the same for the front and rear?  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 12/03/11 09:43 PM

joe dallas..

rear sway bars are always smaller than the front in oem set ups.. except for camper special trucks..

the stock 65 289 2 bbl sway bar bushings seem to have an opening of 20 mm..  which is just larger than 3/4 inch..  they might have a 3/4 or 11/16 sway bar on the front..

the 289/271 HP cars came with one of 13/16 diameter..

the GT350 versions had a shelby spec unit..  with a shelby part number..

you will want to verify that the strut rod frame brackets are firmly bolted to the forward frame member..  that the sway bar frame brackets are properly welded to the frame... or have additional welding to the frame..

with large diameter sway bars.. they have a tendency to tear the sway bar bracket from the inner frame rail..

i had an inch and 5/16 bar on my 83 tbird.. ripped it right loose...  a neat trick... i had a friend with a cheep muffler shop.. had him use his mig welder to put the bracket back on..  he was really really great at welding on the thin sheet metal without burning holes in it..  only took a few minutes..  i was hanging corners again.. i had the 16 inch turbo coupe rims and 55 series tires on it..  what fun to drive that one..   i had some 16 inch rims off a mid 90s  crown vic for my ranchero.. until i loaned them to my friend for his ranger pickup..  cannot wait to get them back... experienced  muffler guys are really good at welding thin metal.. and getting it done so it does not break..

when installing large diameter sway bars..   you will want to use heavy duty end links.. with THICK washers..   i have used 56 chevy V8 motor mount rubber bushings.. Duralast/Motor Mount

motor mount      Biscuit type bushing..
Part Number: 2122
Alternate Part Number: A2122

Motor Mount
Part Number: 2123
Alternate Part Number: A2123   these are larger rubber bushings allowing a wider space to apply force..

the end links that go through the lower control arm.. need to be carefully installed.. so they are large enough to not rip through the lower control arm..