• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

74 Mercury Comet, A Team Effort... Doh!

swtwc67
New User
Posted: 07/23/10 05:38 PM

Just got done reading over the August 2010 issue and was delighted to see Chip Crenshaw's choice Comet. How ever... I question some info in the article, whether it was info provided by Chip or Story Writer Joe Greeves, there seems to be some issues to be addressed. 1st, I question that the car is a 74, I believe it to be either a 71 or 72. 74's don't have the really nice, cool bumpers that Mr Crenshaw's has, or possibly swapped out, Second, I'm some what surprised at the silliness of mentioning that the Comet has 4 taillights, as if it's a custom feature. Truth be told, each side is one unit, not two separate units, again they used lights from an earlier year, or it's an earlier model. The 74's have the back up light integrated into the 1 piece unit. I think that details like this should be researched if your going to print them. Granted it's just a lowly Comet, but still...  

MustangMan
Posted: 07/26/10 06:52 AM

I think Mr. Crenshaw would take offense to the words "lowly Comet" as there's a lot of time, hard work, and money in that car (and I saw it in person). The car did have a swap to the earlier bumpers and lights, though it wasn't mentioned by Mr. Greeves, as it wasn't listed as a modification by Mr. Crenshaw on his tech sheet. He most likely forgot, as the car has so many mods it's insane, like the trans cooler on the inner fender with ducting through the fender to exit the hot air. Stuff you couldn't tell without pouring over the car in person.

HTH...
Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

swtwc67
New User
Posted: 08/09/10 10:22 PM

I would think that if some one was going to do a story on a car, regardless of make/model or year, they'd at least know a bit about it, tech sheet or not. As far as the car & work involved, I fully appreciate what all was done to it. I'm currently putting together a 74 Comet myself. It just seemed like the stuff that was covered or not covered were so obvious...  

swtwc67
New User
Posted: 08/09/10 10:24 PM

I noticed that too... Wasn't sure if it was a 74 turned into a 71/72 or a 72 with a typo for the year!  

cometized75
New User
Posted: 02/16/13 10:49 AM

Hello Fellow COMET owner :
   About the FOUR taillights .. That IS correct .. there ARE four taillights .
I removed the lame back-up lenses and installed TWO MORE taillight lenses in their place and rewired them to activate . I installed a better flasher to accommodate the change and then installed MUSTANG back up lights in the rear valance .. Maybe you didn't notice them . They blend in perfectly and look factory.  The fact that you thought the car was a 71 or 72 indicates to me that my bumper swap was performed properly. I personally do NOT like the park bench bumpers that came with the car ..that's why I changed them. I also removed the FRONT parking light lenses from the grille and converted them into SPORT LIGHTS. I installed turn signals in my HEADLIGHTS instead. The sport lights were activated by a "rocker switch" from the panel on my dash that was installed in place of the old heater control handles .. That same NEW panel had an override for the electric fan that I could activate if I thought I knew my car was going to be in traffic sitting still and could USE the extra cooling. I understand you're building a lowly Comet also. Why lowly????  

cometized75
New User
Posted: 02/16/13 11:47 AM

Hello again: Just catching up with this forum .. and I have to ask ; Did you ever complete the COMET you said you were working on ?  I'd really like to see it ..do you have any photos you could send ? You seemed to take to task the editors of this fine magazine for not knowing more about the car .. The editor was absolutely correct when he said there were MANY items in the car which were not mentioned..such as the self-dimming rear view mirror which also had a temperature gauge ,The cowl vents were removed and then "sealed" and painted, also the "one off" elbow that was made for the 427 block to insure that the hood closed .Bill Roberts cut out the flanges on a CNC machine and then welded a mandrel bent piece of exhaust pipe in place to obtain the correct angle for the breather assembly. The control knobs for the Vintage AC unit under the dash were placed in the location where the E-Brake used to reside. An aluminum plate was installed "there" also..The checkerboard square leather interior features REAR panels that were covered with leather also and notice that the alignment of the squares continues all the way around the interior. The window cranks were replaced with AutoLoc switches which resemble the original cranks but activated Electric Windows. The dashboard was also padded and then covered with black leather with an insert on the passenger side with COMET embroidered into it. The headrests received the same treatment. The REAR of the front seats also received checkerboard square leather panels. Dynamat and carpet for the interiors..The trunk area has leather panels on each side with yet "another" smaller panel inset in each of them to change the light bulbs if ever need be. Aluminum battery box in the trunk , Mustang Flip-Open gas cap cover.  Surge tank installed into a new Mustang gas tank to prevent stalling under hard acceleration ..Full equipped tool kit with aluminum jack and 4 way in fully carpeted trunk. Leather panels in trunk at area covering rear seats. Black powdercoated door sill plates with new blue FORD logo emblems. Modern MUSTANG seat belts with shoulder straps ..all new rubber seals on ALL glass . Extra leaf in rear springs, Southside traction bars ..and there are more items but I'm going to stop here . As you can see , the tech sheet wouldn't have enough room .. there are thousands of cars that have as many , or much more "mods" done to their cars and I'm sure they had to choose "which" items they would mention on THEIR tech sheets. I've seen some beautiful cars in this mag , and at the NPD show each year . You should try to attend if possible .. you can get a lot of great ideas just from walking around looking at the amazing vehicles
on display there of every model. FORDS naturally .. Please respond if you wish to exchange information or if I can be of any help to you in YOUR build. I've been working on COMETS and MAVERICKS for the last 20 years and have build and owned a BUNCH of them .