• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

289 with 84 AOD

David289
New User
Posted: 06/15/11 12:31 PM

I have to first thank Wayne for his help,so thank you wayne!!!
As I now have most everything to get started on my AOD into my full size 66 Ford I am not sure what torque convertor to use with this application,As stated before,I am going more for MPG than horsepower. This is a very low mileage 1966 289 (rare find with actual 15,000 miles on it) however I am replacing the cam,lifters,valve springs timing chain and a set of roller rockers with a new mild but more modern grind.Yes I know that without some major performance items the roller rocker arms are not much help ...but I have them just sitting around with nothing for them to do SOOOO.Any torque convertor suggestions for this AOD into a pretty much stock 289?

Thanks to everyone!
Thanks (Wayne)
I am sure I joined the right FORD FORUM,A mind is a terrible thing to waste!
David289  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 06/17/11 04:48 AM

torque converters for the AOD....

i only have a transstar torque converter catalog.. so these will be transstar converter numbers..

there are 2 stock converters shown... for the AOD with lock up...    

FM55    shown for 4.9 six and 5.8L motors... listed as a low stall...

FM55B  shown for  3.8, 4.6 and 5.0 motors... listed as a high stall and this might be the converter you want...

they also show a FM55BPH-12      AOD high performance... street and strip ...

AODE transmissions have a bunch of converters shown... but the have 31 spline counts instead of the 35 splines as shown with the AOD...  

David289
New User
Posted: 06/17/11 11:03 AM

waynep7122,
Thank you very much your continued help,it is truly appreciated!
I have a number of projects going,however the two major ones concern my 1966 full size FORD aod and frame project and the 1977 F-150.
My 61 Falcon onto a 87 Ranger frame is a when I get to it project,not looking for a lifted body just as stock looking as I can.
AGAIN Wayne,Your help and concern are very much appreciated!!!
Thanks for the converter info.

David289