• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1965 GT Mustang Stumbling and Dying Out

Montoya65Acode
New User
Posted: 05/07/11 05:14 PM

It start when I accidentally tried to eaz out like I was in first from a complete stop.  Then it tried bog out but I stepped on the cultch then the rpm's dropped to about 500 but didn't die out.  Now when I would drive in any gear and hold it at whatever mph it stumble .so I got cap and rotor and an air filter.  Carburetor cleaning and adjusted gas and air mix.  Got the stumbling to stop. She ran good for about 15 miles . Then she die out while I was driving when I let off the gas.  My HOT ROD GURU told me that a curb rebuild would do the trick and he could fix that hesitating problem that I have when I get on it . If anybody got any input on how I can get this pony back out on the road again would be much appreciated . She is a 65 Muatang GT A code 289 mostly stock.  As holly curb not sure what kind but thinking it a 650 or a 700 cfm.  Old and tired looking headers & H pipe. 373 in a nine inch limited slip . Tranny four speed and stock suspension. I would like to do the suspension first but got to get her running again first.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 05/07/11 11:48 PM

do you have electronic ignition.. or points and condenser...

if you have points and condenser...  start there..    fresh set..  contacts cleaned with brake cleaner before installation as they are all painted to protect the surface from rust in the box..

install..   set dwell.. then set timing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now...    lets do a fuel pump full flow test...  

disable the coil primary wire...   either the positive or the negative ..  so that neither the coil or distributer can make sparks...

disconnect the fuel line at the carb... extend the fuel line with another piece of fuel line..   into a clean clear 2 or 3 liter plastic soda bottle...       have somebody else crank the engine for a timed 15 seconds...  while you watch the pulses of fuel from the end of the fuel hose into the bottle...    are all the pulses the same size...   nice full pulses...   not diminishing as each pulse comes out..     you should also get a full pint in those 15 seconds... perhaps more...

what may be happening..   is you may have one of several problems.....

you could have Dirt in the fuel system..   the dirt can get into the fuel pump check valves reducing their abilities to allow suction on the tank side and holding pressure on the carb side...

this has happened many times...  i have  seen them that when i use a clear vinyl hose to do this test.. and i hold the hose vertical...  crank the engine till its full of fuel.. that when i stop cranking..  the fuel flows backwards all the way to the tank...

i have also seen the fuel pump diaphragms go bad...  so the pump is pulling air in through the vent hole...  and usually spraying fuel out through the hole also..   look for clean spots ..

i have also found crushed and completely clogged fuel lines...

i have found strainers in the fuel tank on the end of the pick up tube that were totally clogged...  and 2 over the past 30 years.. that had globs of silicone in them...  there was NO strainer on those...   some ford dealers will still have various push on strainers.. for some reason they think they are made of gold.. but they are needed...

a huge tip....   one can only push coat hanger so far into a fuel line to clean it out..  but.. at almost every parts store i have ever been in. they have universal speedometer cable cores...    2 people.. one with a variable speed battery powered drill .. attached to one end of that NEW cable.. the other wearing thick palmed gloves..   the one with the gloves pushing the cable core into the fuel line...  once a few feet get shoved in.. the guy with the drill can stretch the cable out straight.  and start spinning it like a plumbing snake..   the cable will self feed.. but its better for the guy with the gloves to continue to push it in..  while the other guy keeps just a little tension on it..  but allows it to work its self into the fuel line..   this really sounds far fetched.. but i did this daily with plumbing snakes.. this is just scaled down...

why buy a new speedometer cable..    used ones will work.. but..  if you get one that has a hard spot..or a broken wire..  the hospital bills stitching your hands back up will be far more money than a 6 buck cable..

now.. into the carb..   i have also had bugs in the carb...    stuff floating around..  when the fuel levels drop.. the bugs clog the main jets...   causing weird running.. on an E350 /351w..  there were 3 bugs in there causing me a headache..
till i got them out.. then it ran like an electric motor..

when i got back from that trip.. another friend was over .. telling me how his car ran so great.. but sometimes it would run 45 ... sometimes 35.. sometimes 15.....  i could barely get a word in sideways..   i finally got out .. oh.. you probably just have some bugs in your carb..  when i pulled the top cover..   pulled out real dead bugs from the carb  ... the look of amazement was something i will always remember..  he thought i was just joking.. nope..  i only joke after finishing putting together some complex job on a car... and just i am about to start it i reach over and grab some part from a different job and ask the friend if they know where this fits..  with the best poker face i can ***

post what you find....

there are a few other things in the carb..   but .. your problem sounds like a fuel volume issue...

why..  as you can accelerate.. use up the fuel in the float bowl... then the engine is using so much fuel.. the pump cannot keep up...

please.. if you remove the filler neck.. or the sending unit...   please have some supermagnets ready to throw into the bottom of the tank.. before you close it back up...

magnets inside the fuel tank will attract any rust that gets suspended in the gasoline..   keeps it out of the fuel filter.. keeps it out of the fuel pump.. and out of the carb..   the reddish dust in the bottom of the carbs is rust..    

don't believe me..  pick up one of the magnets on the end of the antenna from the cash register area of your parts store..  be sure to test the magnet that its crimped in properly.. i have lost a few.. and stir the tank contents.. bet it comes out covered in fuzz...  

Montoya65Acode
New User
Posted: 06/05/11 12:47 PM

So yea,  got her running again but unfortunately its a temporary fix I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the carb. Not sure but may have to change gas tank.  Little black stuff is in the tank,  not every much I think cause I'll see some and then I wont see it for a while . Throw the see throw gas filter, gonna change gas tank anyway some time here soon.  Also found out that the carb I got is a holley adventure 670 . So thinking of changing that to a 600 or a 570 . Want the 570 sense its a street adventure but don't know which one to go with. Still , happy im driving again .