• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

front disc conversion 69 torino

aem1977
New User
Posted: 10/01/11 03:19 AM

i have a 1969 ford torino gt fastback, i recently purchased a front disc power brake conversion kit from ssbc, i really like the look of the kit, but when i made my measurments on the brake booster with the master cylinder it measured 14 inches, and my measurment from the firewall to the shock tower is 12, i called ssbc and they said that is the only brake booster available for this car, and it is what would have been installed had for offered power brakes for it in 1969, and also said it is supposed to work, well i went ahead with the installation and just as i thought, it would not fit, looks as if i will have to modify my shock tower and run the brake lines through the tower, my question is has any one run in to this, am i going to have to modify my shock tower for it to fit, or what, any help is appreciated, thank you  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/01/11 07:31 PM

i have a 70 ranchero... had it since 1972...   i have seen others in the junk yard... i seem to recall that the 69 to 71 models needed an offset bracket to raise the booster to make it work....

i might be totally wrong... but this is what i recall..  

perhaps i am wrong..  

this is the 7 1/2" diameter booster for the factory disc brakes...

Application: Bendix unit (Without clamp band)
With front disc brakes
Notes: W/o master cylinder
Pedal Rod ID: FF
Diaphragm Type: Dual
OEM: Bendix
Diaphragm Diameter: 7 1/4 in.

this is a midland unit..

Application: With front disc brakes
Midland unit (With clamp band)
Pedal Rod ID: W
Diaphragm Type: Dual
OEM: Midland
Diaphragm Diameter: 7 1/2 in.

this is something i found on the web..

Vc3

Vc2

Vc1

you might be better off with the manual brakes...  if you can select a master with the proper bore size for the best pedal effort...   as long as you keep the wheel bearing adjustments at a point that the calipers are not retracted very far.. you could go to a smaller bore master to allow more pressure for the same leverage...

i have been thinking about doing the disc conversion on mine.. but i so rarely drive it.. the point is kinda moot... mine has 365K miles plus on it.. and not a single straight piece of sheet metal... even the used door i got from the junk yard to replace the metal fatigued one.. got nailed by somebody practicing a 3 point turn.. the side is still dented where mom blocked  a purse snatchers get away with it..  he rammed us twice.. jumped out and the tow truck driver behind him got him.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/01/11 07:39 PM

i have been wondering.. if this 81 ford fairmont brake power booster would fit...

Reman/Brake Power Booster
For your 1981 Ford Fairmont 2.3L 2BL 4cyl
Part Number: 54-74000
Alternate Part Number: 62-12167
100% OE quality seals, diaphragms and check valves are installed on every unit. OE performance and reliability.
Part Number: 54-74000
Weight: 8.5 lbs
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Pedal Rod ID: 3481A/FX/L
Diaphragm Type: Single
OEM: Bendix
Diaphragm Diameter: 9 in.

i just have not gotten around to seeing if it would fit...    its sure not going to fit with a FE or a 429/460 -385 series motor..  but i have a plain jane 302 F motor..  

aem1977
New User
Posted: 10/02/11 04:29 AM

thanks for the input, my problem is i already purchased the ssbc kit that they said would work, i called them and they said that that is the only power booster for that car, if any one knows of an adaptor bracket that would work, please let mey know  

aem1977
New User
Posted: 10/02/11 04:32 AM

thanks for the input, my problem is i already purchased the kit from ssbc, i had called them and they said it was the only brake booster available for this car, please if anyone knows of an adaptor bracket, or how to make one please let me know  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/02/11 08:11 AM

strange... on their brake components selector ...  for a 69 torino..

they don't even show any.. power brake boosters...

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/brakefinder/?year=1969&make=Ford&model=Torino&engine=All&cat=All&sub=All

perhaps they have the optional installation hammer...

perhaps the mopar bracket from this site would allow you to offset the booster on the torino ... its very close to what the ford unit is...

they do show a ford booster bracket... for trucks. but i don't think it has enough offset for our torino/ranchero power brake application...

http://www.piratejack.net/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

it might take parts from both the mopar and the push rod from the ford bracket to make it work.....

pirate jack also offers neat small diameter boosters... so you don't have to install a bubble in the hood to clear the top of the booster...  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/02/11 08:18 AM

this is what the mopar booster assembly looks like assembled... but do to the pedal mounted brake light switch.. the link for the brake pedal is going to give you problems..

MOPAR Dodge Plym 4B607342b44ce

i still don't know if there is enough offset to clear the shock towers...  

aem1977
New User
Posted: 10/02/11 02:05 PM

thanks for the info, i guess us ford guys have to make do sometimes, but i do plan on pushing forward, i will dang sure figure something out.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 10/03/11 08:01 AM

the disc brakes will work with a NON power brakes.. the pedal is just harder to push...   if you have strong legs.. you won't need the power booster..

perhaps...   somebody reading this will know how many inches of offset is needed for the ford torino bracket...

i don't have one to measure.....  

Falcon67
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/05/11 07:22 PM

Don't rely on "strong legs" - if you go manual, which is fine, get the proper size master cylinder.  The smaller bore cylinders produce higher line pressures.  It has to be balanced against travel and volume.  15/16" bore or maybe 1" max.  I have two drag cars with manual disks and we have no problems stopping.  

I have a booster somewhere that was pirated off a Fairlane.  There is a bracket that elevates the MC enough to clear the tower by a little bit.  
1967 Falcon 4 door - 351C
1970 Mustang coupe - 351C
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

partimer
New User
Posted: 11/26/11 05:35 PM

ran into this when upgrading a 69 torino, supplier suggested shiming,not what i was lookng for, but after the fact it was the quickest, easiest and cleanest way. anyway i shimed the bottom portion to raise is above the shock so lines would clear using a standard size waaher. this allowed for the lines to clear the tower without any mod's. then i just rerouted the lines all works great. supplier was dennis green.