• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

X Marks the Spot questions for Mr. Houlahan

BlackBDR
New User
Posted: 11/01/11 03:31 PM

Mark,

First off, thanks for the great magazine.  I've been following the 3 part "X Marks the Spot" on the Ranchero.  My project is very similar, a 64 four door wagon.  

Part 2, photo 2: Borgeson steering.  Is it possible to use a collapsible steering column?  I called IDIDIT and they told me their 68-69 column is 31" from sleave to bottom of the shaft, then you have to add a 3.5" long double female rag joint, but I have no clue if it will fit, they didn't either.

Part 3, photo 12: Doug's headers.  Did you have any fitment issues with the AOD?

Not addressed: Shifter, I assume you had to go with a floor shift with the Borgeson box?  I'm leaning toward an AODE.  It looks like Lokar will be my only option?

Thanks,
John  

MustangMan
Posted: 11/02/11 05:41 AM

John, glad you liked the series. We're a little behind, as the shop doing the work is slammed with work, which is a good thing in this economy, but the Ranchero gets back burnered because of it.

We're slowly working through the engine brace fabrication/mock up and should have it running in a couple of weeks.

As to your questions:
-The Ranchero was originally a column shift car. The owner is using a Mustang column and plans to cut the tube to the correct length and add a firewall support for it. The Borgeson box comes with a shaft and rag joint, but on the Ranchero/Falcon it would put the rag joint part way through the firewall. So we called Borgeson and they sent us a metal sleeve. It is welded to the steering shaft (in the column) and has splines on the other end to fit their box. All we have to do is measure and cut the column shaft to length and we're good. I think a tilt column like you want to do will work, you just need to determine overall length from the Borgeson box to the point you want the steering wheel to be (don't forget any dish in your wheel when measuring).

-The Doug's headers fit great! The passenger side collector flange did come a little close to the AOD pan, but you can either trim the pan or the flange if you want more room.

-For a shifter we had hoped to reuse the '69 Mustang shifter the owner already had floor mounted, but with the AOD in the tunnel there's simply no room for the shift rod (much smaller than a Mustang tunnel). We opted for a Lokar floor mount shifter with cable actuation. We didn't get it in time to show in the story, but when we have it all done and have a few miles on it we'll do a report in the book and on the site here with a dyno video, etc.

Good luck with the project and let's see some photos!

Oh, and any chance your screen name is refering to a black Backdraft Cobra? :-)

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

BlackBDR
New User
Posted: 11/05/11 06:08 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm flip flopping between the Borgeson box or going with a TCP power rack.  I liked the MM&F article on safety as well, and the thought of getting rid of the "spear of death" shaft is appealing.

That's good new the Dougs headers fit.  I'm planning on running an AODE vs. an AOD.  Do you see any issues with fit either with the headers or the tunnel? It's very similar isn't it?

Yes, good eye, BlackBDR is a Backdraft Cobra.  I have a bunch of photos of it over on ClubCobra (go the gallery and search for BlackBDR).  It's Black with Bronzemist stripes.  We've had it for eight year and love it.  It's been driven from San Diego to Oregon once and "Snakes at the Lake" in Tahoe a couple of times.  When the weather is nice, which is most of the time here, we drive it to work.  It's currently powered by a 351W.  We've steadily been making the car more streetable over the years.  My next project for it is to install AFR 185 Comp CNC'd heads, Cobra Valley Valve Covers and Autotrend EFI billet wire looms.

The Falcon project is definitely a work in progress:
ENGINE: 289 five bolt with an Edelbrock performer manifold, cam and 500 cfm carb.  Cooled by a 26" Northern aluminum radiator and twin electric fans with a shroud. TCP Monte Carlo bar, with the stock welded shock tower braces. We have a 331 stroker ordered from FordStrokers with a Scat 9000 cast steel crank, Scat 4340 forged I beam rods, Mahle forged pistons and a Canton road race pan.
TRANSMISSION: currently a Ford-O-Matic 2 speed, to be replaced by an AODE controlled by an Optishift
REAREND: Currie Alumin8 case, 3.25 gears, TrueTrac
EXHAUST: log manifolds with a cross over.  Single exhaust splitting into fake dual exhaust with Magnaflows.  I'm thinking replacement will be the Dougs tri Y's and x-pipe, and reuse of the Magnaflows
SUSPENSION: Front: RRS struts, Global West spherical strut rods, sway bar.  Rear: RRS three link with a Watts link, QA1 double adjustable coil overs, air bags (load type). Welded in Global West subframe connectors.
BRAKES: Electroboost master cylinder, RRS slotted rotors with alloy 2 piston front brakes and RRS slotted rotors rear with single piston alloy calipers
WHEELS: Legends (from Summit) 8 x 17 with 5.25" backspace cast 5 spokes.
TIRES: Goodyear F-1 Assemetrics, 225/45-17
INTERIOR: Autometer Traditional Chrome, Original red interior, Corbeau Sport Seats thanks to your feature on MITY MAV (purchased today but not intalled yet), 4 bulk paks of Eastwood Thermo-Coustic (yet to be installed)
EXTERIOR: Original Wilbeldon White very thin in places.

I haven't figured out how to post photos yet, but when I do, I will.

Thanks again for your great magazine, it's the only subscription I archive!

John  

MustangMan
Posted: 11/09/11 06:46 AM

John, thanks for the info. I have a couple of friends here in Florida with BDRs and I've met Reg from BDR at local events. Great group of people and I've never had a BDR owner give me any grief that I drive an FFR.

The AODE is the same trans with an electronic valve body, so the headers will work with the "E" trans as well. The R&P is nice stuff, but does get pricey. Of course if you use the Borgeson and add a tilt column with collapsible internals, it gets close, so kind of a toss up. Though the R&P would give a bit cleaner engine bay appearance and you wouldn't have to futz with the firewall seal like with the Borgeson.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is the AOD does hit the tunnel's support crossmember when we got the driveline angle all figured out. Some careful cutting goe it to clear, but in a perfect world I think I would have rather removed the stamped part and put in some sort of plate steel reinforcement to give us more room.

The Falcon sounds like it's going to be a sweet ride when done! As for photos, we do not have the ability to host them here (yet), so you'll have to host them on a site like Flikr or Photobucket. I usse Photobucket myself. Once you have the photos on a server somewhere you simply add the image tags to the url of where the image is. Before the url is the image tag of "img" (change the qoutes to brackets [ and ]) and after the url is the close image tag of "/img", again change the quotes to brackets. If you use Photobucket it becomes a copy/paste affair as they set up the url with tags for you. Simply select the image you want and at the bottom of the image are options for posting it to a forum, Facebook, etc. and you just select the one you want, it will then display "link copied" and then you come back here (or any forum) and paste it into your thread (using the CTRL-V command on your keyboard).

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1990 Mustang 306/AOD

BlackBDR
New User
Posted: 05/11/12 09:20 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the gouge on the tunnel support crossmember. So if you cut some or most of it away would you recommend using a trans crossmember support that spans the "frame rails" like the Ron Morris Uni-Cross?

Second question: in part 3 photo 19 you show a "bundy tube".  Does this keep the return fuel from frothing? or?  I'm going to run a Powerjection III thats coming off the Cobra (the Cobra got a Mass-Flo EFI) so I could add a "fuel on demand" module vice a return line.  What do you think is easier and cleaner?

Thanks,
John  

MustangMan
Posted: 05/14/12 06:53 AM

I've seen several Mustangs where the upper floor brace was removed for trans fit and then subframe connectors and a custom cross member that runs from rail to rail, like the RMP unit, used. Matter of fact, this is exactly what we did with our '68 Mustang "Generation Gap" fastback to clear the large 5R55 five-speed automatic.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with the Falcon...

The Bundy tube is just the material/product name for that style of fuel line and fitting/end. With the Ranchero it worked nice the drain plug was on the top, so it was a perfect location for a return line. I've seen the bottom drain location in the Mustang used in this manner, as well as a fitting in the fuel filler tube as well. There are several ways to get the fuel back in the tank.

The PowerJection, as you know, needs a return line unless you utilize the FOD module. I've installed a couple of the PJIII units, but all with return lines. I've heard the FOD works well and several of the newer EFI systems, like the MSD Atomic, are all pulse modulated returnless systems. The one caveat I've read is that the returnless setups really like to have the pump in the tank, for cooling as well as to prevent fuel pickup issues. If you are planning a frame rail mounted pump like we did on the Ranchero project I'd recommend running the return line (cheaper than the FOD module and no extra wiring)...

HTH...
Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1990 Mustang 306/AOD