• Subscribe to a Magazine
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ignition problem

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 05:49 AM

Ive had a problem with my ignition. The switch went and i replaced it. Then about 2 mounths later car would crank but not start. This was same thing that happened the first time. Everywhere i look it seems the resister went. Just wounder if its the resiater or ignition switch.  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 07:45 AM

What year car do you have and do you have the stock type coil and points or have you converted to any type of eletronic ignition? I have heard that the resistor wire will take out the coil but you may have somthing back feeding and taking out the switch instead. are you pulling a plug wire and checking for spark as well? Try this link if it helps http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/639619-problem-pertronix-ignitor.html you may have to register to fully view it.  

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 08:07 AM

Its an all original car nothing is converted over. Just changed to a 4 barrel edelbrock carb from the stock 2 barrel. Only part i left out was the carb was givinge problems when i got on gas and sounded like carb was shootin out flames. So would throw in nutral to stall it. Then tryed startin it a few times in a row.  

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 08:09 AM

Its an all original car nothing is converted over. Just changed to a 4 barrel edelbrock carb from the stock 2 barrel. Only part i left out was the carb was givinge problems when i got on gas and sounded like carb was shootin out flames. So would throw in nutral to stall it. Then tryed startin it a few times in a row.  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 11:48 AM

I have not seen good things with edelbrock carbs. how big did you go? I assume you have a 289 correct? The problem may be that you went too big on the carb and are fuel fouling the plugs. have you pulled any of them out to inspect them to see what may be going on inside the cylinder. also if it is backfiring back through the carb you need to check your timing. timing will also cause it to be hard to start and backfire. remember on the early stuff "you" are the computer that has to make changes for the mods you make to the car. ie adjusting timing, points if you still have them, etc.  

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 02:09 PM

500 cfm. I wanted a holley  but summit said that holley dont make any small enough for my stock motor that would be easy to adjust. Ive got points in distubutor. Been 2 yrs since car ran dont remember how spark plugs looked.  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 06:13 PM

What is the resistor in question from your first post? 500 should be ok but you will have do some tuning and timing changes to make it right. When you changed the switch the first time did that fix the concern? How did the car run before this started? also did this start after the carb swap?  

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/26/12 07:05 PM

Once i changed ignition first time car started right up and ran with no problem. Now the carb problem happened right as it was gettin into spring time. I mention the resister cause my grandather said thats what he though problem was.  

MustangMan
Posted: 02/27/12 06:54 AM

Before you go replacing parts you need to properly diagnose the situation and test sub-components. You'll spend a lot of money throwing parts at it when a half hour with a shop manual following the pinpoint tests will usually find the problem. Have you tested the resistance of the coil? Have you verified voltage to the coil? Have you pulled the distributor cap off and checked the point gap and checked the condenser? Have you pulled a plug wire and checked for spark to the plugs?

You need to check things like those listed above to determine where your problem is.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/27/12 07:53 AM

I cchecked everything mustangman said and everything was good  

slud
User
Posted: 02/27/12 03:11 PM

Did you pull the distributer out when you replaced the intake? On FORDS the dist. grounds thru the dist. If you have a lot of gunk in the little bracket that holds the dist. down, it may not be grounding good. You could have got the dist. a couple of teeth off when you replaced it, which sounds like the backfire problem. For whatever reason, Edelbrocks like to be fully choked when you first try to start the car up. Don't know why, just what I have learned.  

Drumr90
New User
Posted: 02/27/12 03:52 PM

I dont rember if we did when we changed intake but we did try to change distribtor to more moder one that has coil under cap. But first one we tried had no spark and second try didnt drop down enough( didnt try to start motor) then third try we got a stock replacement.

Now i do plan on gettin a more modurn distibutor at some point. But right now just want it to crank over again.  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/27/12 07:24 PM

I think you have compounded your troubles by adding the edelbrock carb but do you have any more details you can share about your car. What kind of history does the car have How long has it been sitting and what year is it? The more details the better thanks  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/27/12 07:32 PM

Let me share some sites with you
vintage-mustang com  one of the best sites for first gen mustangs use the search engine it is very helpful.
ponycarburetors com If you have any question about any carb give them a call.
pure-gas org If your car sits for several months at a time and is not a daily driver drian your tank and clean out your lines and get some good non ethonal fuel.
The reason I am posting links it sounds like you are starting out with older cars and the information on the sites is worth its weight in gold. like mustangman said test first don't throw parts at it. Understand what needs to be corrected and why. anyway hope this helps. let us know what you find and if you can please post pics of your car. Laugh  

HG68390
New User
Posted: 02/27/12 07:34 PM

The system would not let post the direct link to the sites if you have any trouble getting to them just go to google and type them into the serch and they will come up.  

12 Last