• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Project Generation Gap- Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump Question

stangatic
New User
Posted: 03/15/12 04:09 AM

Hello All,
I was reading the latest article on Project Generation Gap in regards to the Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump setup. I am in the process of doing my homework and planning for my build of what I hope to be a wild 67 convertible and I saw this article which got my mind racing. I am planning on dropping a highly modified 4.6 DOHC cobra motor in the car and I need to figure out the best way to tackle the fuel system. I don't want to run an external fuel pumps because of the noise (I have never heard a quite electric external fuel pump) and would like to run an intank fuel pump setup like the one being done on Project Generation Gap.

However, my question is does anyone know if the Tanks Inc in tank fuel pump module can be made to accept more than one intank fuel pump?

For my project, one pump will not be enough. I was thinking that I could modify the gas tank to accept a 03-04 style 2 to 3 fuel pump unit sold  by some of the later model mustang companies. I need to figure this out to make it into the 1,000 rwhp territory.  Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?  

MustangMan
Posted: 03/15/12 05:45 AM

You might have seen Kevin Tetz' project in our magazine last year. We've run a couple of stories on it following as he builds. It's a early coupe with a Terminator engine (believe it's getting a KB in place of the Eaton) and he used a Fore Precision double or triple pump setup in his tank. I believe he had a tank made. Companies like Rick's Hot Rod Tanks does stuff like that. Nice, but can be spendy too. Unfortunately Fore Precision is no more. However, I do know that companies like Ricks can put the Aeromotive A1000 or Eliminator pump inside their tank for big HP builds like yours.

I'd also check in with Tanks Inc and see if they can change out the mounting ring for you to install a double or triple pump hanger. You might be able to score a damaged tank from the junk yard and cut out the mounting ring, then you can have that added to one of their tanks and you'll be good to go with a couple of SVT Focus pumps or some aftermarket pumps.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

stangatic
New User
Posted: 03/15/12 08:17 AM

Thanks Mark!
I was really hoping that you responded because I have been dedicated to following your build. I checked out Kevin's build, but noticed that he has been working on it slowly and definitely missed his sept 2010 finish date...... Don't we hate how that happens!

Mark, off subject, but do you know where I can find some information on swapping the interior from an 2010 - 11 mustang into a 67?

Thanks  

MustangMan
Posted: 03/15/12 11:16 AM

Glad you like the build. We've missed a date or two on ours as well, but certainly have more progress than Kevin's (not that it is a race! LOL). We're hoping to wrap things up this summer/fall. Just installed the hydroboost system and working on brake lines now. Soon we'll be doing electrical and interior.

Your project sounds like wicked fun too! If I was building this for me and not my son it would certainly have more power!

I've seen the '05 and up dash installed in a few cars and we're planning to use the '05 and up seats, but I've not seen any stories, print, web, or otherwise showing details of how it was done. Of course the major trim panels I think will be too much of a hassle to get the fit right, but doing the dash and console as well as the seats is certainly obtainable. One car I saw they actually put the firewall and floor in from the donor car to make the dash, pedals, console, ebrake, etc. all simple bolt-in affair. Something to think about if you're doing major metal work too.

We want to see photos too!
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

stangatic
New User
Posted: 03/19/12 04:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I will definitely be using the 05 and up seats in my car and hope to be able to score some 2013 GT500 seats when it comes time and I will definitely be saving the article on the interior install on project generation gap as well. I think it would be cool to have a more modern dash, but need to see where my skills (metal fab and welding) are at by that time and where I stand on the build budget.

I will create a build thread on the forum for my build for people to follow, but will not be able to do that until july/august time since I need to help a friend finish his build (1967 Eleanor fastback) which is in the final stages.....