• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Gauge Mounting

GLXRICK
New User
Posted: 07/22/12 08:42 AM

Hello all...I recently discovered my temp gauge on my 1990 GT acting screwy so I've opted to mounting a mechanical Autometer gauge but am having problems finding the right mounting location or piller pod for one gauge. And because the car is totally stock I'd like not to have to drill holes or pull out A/C vents. Gauge size is 2 5/8 inch. Also how do I get it backlit for nighttime?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...Rick  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 07/22/12 09:47 PM

where to mount a temp gauge... ?

lets look at the factory dash gauge..

this is the engine TEMP SENDER..

it has variable resistance between the terminal and the shell depending on the temp of the coolant..

RESISTANCE SPECIFICATIONS:
176 OHMS AT 100F (38.8C)
24 OHMS AT 220F (104.4C)

if you have the engine idling.  reach in and unplug the angle connector from this sensor..

the gauge should go one direction... with the wire terminal NOT touching anything...

ground the wire terminal to the engine block...   the gauge should go the other direction..

this proves the gauge and wiring work...

warning.. you could have an issue with GROUND wire connections under the hood..

there are ground connections at both ends of the radiator core support...

there is also a ground connection on both inner fender wells.. in front of the shock towers

i have found almost every ford that i have opened the hood on the first time with torn up ground connections at the core support..  where the wire is shredded  where is is crimped into the ring terminals...  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 07/22/12 09:48 PM

run this test also..

you can print the image below..

VOLTAGE Drop Testing  

GLXRICK
New User
Posted: 07/23/12 02:53 AM

Many thanks! I'll have to try this first rather than the work of tearing up the interior to mount a gauge! I'll update you on the results....