• Print Subscriptions
  • Digital Subscriptions
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Subscriber Services
  • Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

64 fairlane toploader 3speed 91 5.0L help?

fairlanekid
New User
Posted: 07/24/12 07:55 PM

Hello, new here and i have a question... i'm putting together a  64 fairlane 500 originally a 289 car it has a top loader 3 on the tree i recently pulled it out to go with an automatic but decided i dont want an auto... so here is the question I just dropped a 91 5.0L that i pulled the fuel injection off of and went to a two barrel... so i thought it would be cool to have that top loader in there but it seams the bolt pattern on the bell housing is different from the one on the block.... and i always thought a 289 was preatty much the same as a 302 so what could i ***  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 07/24/12 10:16 PM

nope... and the 5 BOLT pattern 289 you pulled out is needed by a LOT of restorers.. so don't trash it..

even some sunbeam TIGER guys (think GET SMART tv show) .. those came with 260s with a 5 bolt pattern.. they love to put in 5 bolt 289 motors.

the 91 5.0 also has a way different flywheel and harmonic damper balance that earlier 302 and 289 motors

there is a chance you might be able to use the 3 speed....  if you can identify it.. there is usually casting numbers on the main case... or a ID TAG on the main case..

you might also want to measure the diameter of the front bearing retainer..  the flanged part where the throw out bearing slides on the sleeve.. held on the front of the transmission by 4 bolts..

there is a chance you can find a bellhousing to fit the 6 bolt later block..  and flywheels are available..    identify your transmission.. and the diameter of the bearing retainer..

there are a few places that specialize in used bellhousings for various ford applications...

the 2.77 , 3 speeds have an HED on the identification plate..  usually on the tail housing to the main case bolt...

the 3.03 , 3 speeds have an HEE, HEF , HEG on the ID tag usually riveted to the passenger side of the transmission main case... right behind where it bolts to the bell housing..  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 08/15/12 10:10 PM

Wayne Good stuff as always.

I just need to add my 2 cents.

Being an early 289, I had a 1964.5 Mustang K Code with the 271/289. I remember back in the day I raced that car a lot.I went through clutches a lot. Even the after-market stuff would not hold up. The question I was asked many times, (I don't know if this refers to your set-up) is it a 5 bolt or 6 bolt engine block? For some reason FOMOCO made the 289 with 2 different engine bolt combinations.

Bob