• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Suspension upgrade for a 60 starliner

yolo
New User
Posted: 08/19/12 10:20 AM

I've been to most of the websites from the big suspension companies like TCI ,Global West etc. and I'm finding nothing.  In magazine articles that feature Starliners/Galaxies again nobody talkes about suspension upgrades , what's the problem?
The front suspension is definitly different with the lower A arm bolting to the motor mount, not to mention the shoehorn looking motormount sticking way out from the frame.
My question is what can be done to improve the street handeling characteristics of the 60 Sterliner without a  new  custom frame?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 08/19/12 04:49 PM

wheel alignment specs for a performance oriented driving style can be dialed into some front suspensions...    2 degrees negative caster usually helps a LOT...   1/2 degree positive camber on the left..  1/4 positive camber on the right.. and adjusting the toe in... so the wheels are actually pointing straight when driving.. 1/16 to 1/8 toe in.. depending upon how the front suspension flexes at speed.

there is nothing but money stopping you from sending out a full set of control arms to one of the circle track control arm manufacturers.. have them set up a jig and duplicate them in tubular design...  

i am not a suspension professional...  and it takes TONS of knowledge beyond what i have to figure out what your car will need to improve the handling..

as a side note...

how many turns lock to lock on the steering ...  you might want to try to see if there is something to increase the response from the steering wheel slightly.. with a different gear ratio steering box..    if you have power steering.. that has a separate power ram.. please be careful that you don't blow the end of of it turning the wheel all the way to the end.. you might want to do it with the front end jacked up and the engine off..

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1206phr_1960_ford_starliner_airride_suspension_system/photo_16.html

seems they have covered a few around the magazines...
there are about 40 car and truck magazines on this site..  

yolo
New User
Posted: 08/19/12 05:12 PM

Wayne,
Thanks for the great information on alignment specs.  I subscribe to popular hotrodding  and I read te article you referred to, but it is all air bag related parts , I'm looking for something like coilovers .
thank again
chris  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 08/19/12 05:41 PM

i hope you get this....

Full Size Ford Parts And Accessories 2010 000119

Full Size Ford Parts And Accessories 2010 000120

Full Size Ford Parts And Accessories 2010 000121

Full Size Ford Parts And Accessories 2010 000122

Full Size Ford Parts And Accessories 2010 000123

if you want coil overs thats another issue.. there are a bunch of coil over suppliers that can probably help...