• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968 mustang air conditioner / compressor

RandyP
New User
Posted: 09/21/12 02:11 PM

We recently had a new compressor installed on our 68 mustang, the car has factory air. Issue: the compressor runs constantly when the heat or air is on. It nevers kicks off even when the temperature control is adjusted warmer. What needs to be checked?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/21/12 08:28 PM

lets take a look at this 67 wiring diagram for the AC system...

its all the way over on the right side...
the green wire to the compressor clutch is connected through the Ac control switch.. then through the a/c thermostat switch..   the clutch circuit gets power as soon as the blower is turned on..

i am not familiar with the ac control switch shown in this diagram...  somebody will be...

there is a chance that its either cable operated or operated by moving the lever to the cooler position.. to allow the clutch to get power...  perhaps its removed from its proper mounting position..

other brands of cars also had AC compressors that ran all the time the blower was on.. really annoying to me..

67Ac  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/21/12 10:08 PM

wait.. here is a very similar 68 ac wiring diagram

again you will have to move the slider at the bottom to see the right side of the image where the diagram is...

E11  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/21/12 10:28 PM

this is the only image i can find of the possible switch..

E9562884

it seems to be mounted on the blower motor... looks like a push button of some kind...

how does it turn on and off?????

unless its hit by the throttle linkage under the dash at wide open throttle to turn off the compressor when you have your foot close to the floor...  to release the compressor clutch and stop you from blowing the rods out the side of the AC compressor..  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 09/25/12 11:48 PM

If you can't fix the problem. You can always break the circut with a heavy duty toggle switch until you can ring things out. You can turn the A/C on/off with the switch... Confused

Bob  

1toomanyprojects
New User
Posted: 03/07/13 07:13 PM

Did you get the switch figured out? Just rebuilt my heater / ac box. Can send pic if still needed.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/07/13 08:10 PM

Too many projects.. we welcome any help... or images...   you can upload it to some free image hosting site like photobucket dot com.. and then paste the links that start with img here..

a lot of people have viewed this thread.....