• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1971 302 2v

f4rdsure
New User
Posted: 10/09/12 09:07 AM

A [ NFG] here..I purchased a 1965 Fairlane with a 1971 [date on block] 302 2v C4 auto in it. Is this motor worth the time and money to do, or am i better off to go with a later year fuel injected motor. And if i do go with a HO motor what problems will i run into...thanks.  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/10/12 05:52 AM

welcome f4rsure to the forum:

Bob  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/10/12 06:14 AM

is your 71 motor tired???   check the slack in the timing chain by rocking the crank back and forth..

later model HO and EFI motors are swappable...  they do require a special flex plate.. easily picked up new... as the balance is different...

the water pump on most rotate backwards... so if you intend on using the earlier you will need to swap the timing cover and other stuff from the 71..  you will also need a special harmonic balancer and spacers to match the early spacing and the later balance...

if you intend on installing the fuel injection..  its easily done if you have some skills.. please invest in at least one of several swap books...  and use care in which motor you select..

lastly..  if you are going to run one of the EFI or HO motors and not run the TFI distributer.. i have not been happy with the engagement  length of the oil pump drive shafts in the slightly shorter tipped NON TFI distributers.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/10/12 06:20 AM

oh... swapping a carb type intake and a duraspark or other distributer onto the HO or EFI motors work great..

you can use 5.0 motors all the way through around a 2000 explorer 2 wheel drive as they also had 5.0 motors...  those are a lot easier to find than the over 25 year old EFI and HO motors..

only advantage to an UNREBUILT HO motor is they come with Forged pistons..

oh.. and the DIS system on the explorer motor can be installed ...  

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/10/12 06:34 AM

f4rdsure

It really depends on what you want to do with your Fairlane. Thats the smaller body style. I like that shape and stlye.

A little story: Back in the day I had a 641/5 K-Code Mustang convertible 271/289, and my girlfriend then, that became my wife. Had a 1966 Mustang with the sprint package. We had to sell hers a couple years later. Our daughter was coming, we needed a bigger car. WE Purchased a 1968 Galaxie 500 2dr Fastback Royal Maroon/Black (with a P-Code 330/390). That was a rocket ship, with as many bells and whistles they had back then. Then the oil embargo hit, and like many of us, we sold it. Oh do I kick myself for that now... Mad  Mad  

Is the body of your Fairlane in good shape? Turn it into a Thunderbolt...LOL...

There are other ways to wake up your Fairlane...

Do you know how many miles are on your engine...

How fast do you want to go?

1.What is your budget????

2.I would look into an Edelbrock Top End kit for your 302. If your heads are Okay flowing numbers.(Check your numbers). If you have a good set of heads.  Tongue

3.Send us the part numbers for your heads....

3.A.If you have a decent set of heads,install a cam, 4bbl.carb 650CFM "NO LARGER", and a dual plane intake manifold.

4.Set of 15/8" headers with real dual exhaust, with an X pipe or H pipe

5.Set of lower rear gears, 3:70 ring and pinion, and a posi unit.

6.A hotter ignition set-up,MSD with a MSD-6AL ignition box

Let us know what youn decide to do. You can go faster and how fast depends on your pocket....Good Luck...

Bob  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/10/12 08:00 AM

Bob, the '65 Fairlane is a one-year-wonder. It's not the "T-Bolt" style Fairlane, and it's not the '66-'67 "coke bottle" shaped Fairlane either. It's one-year body styling means sheetmetal and trim parts can be hard to find. However, if it is a solid car they're still fun.

If the 302 is tired and you're considering a rebuild, yes, the '71 block is a good block to start with. I built my 347 stroker with a '71 block for the thicker casting and non-through-hole lower head bolt setup (no worries about coolant leaks through the head bolt threads).

So, if it needs a rebuild pick up a nice 331 or 347 stroker kit, have the machine shop do their thing, and bolt it all together. It's actually quite rewarding to build your own engine.

HTH...
Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/16/12 08:37 PM

Mark:

I only said it as a joke.... Grin  Cool

I still wish I had my 19641/2 Mustang 271/289. The fastest production car I ever owned bar none.
I wish I had the 1968 Galaxie 500 (P CODE 390)