• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

302w Drift/street car

SkidKid7
New User
Posted: 10/11/12 12:18 AM

Ok so im putting together a drift car.. and i find myself somewhat out of my depth when it comes to how to put together a 302 windsor that will make me around 3 to 400hp. Ive built engine set ups in the past however they are inline 6 turbo jappers and cost alot to keep running.
I have a 68 mustang that came with a spare 302w from the same era, thus how i ended up useing the v8 for my drift car..
Basicly im asking for any help i can get, tips, tricks and good parts to replace so i dont spend money on modifications i dont need to do. Confused  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/11/12 06:46 AM

For that kind of power the easiest build is a stroker engine. Using your original block drop in a 331 or 347ci crank/rod/piston combo, top it with some ported aluminum heads so it can breath and you should make 400 plus easily.

I know drifting isn't big with our readers, but I am certainly interested in your build. What are you doing for chassis, steering angle improvements, etc.

I assume you've seen Vaugn Gittin Jr's RTR-X, a '69 Mustang drifter? We ran it in the magazine last year and you should be able to find the story on the site here under feature cars.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

SkidKid7
New User
Posted: 10/12/12 12:00 AM

firstly cheers for the reply!
ok so this is interesting, would a 302ci bottem end be strong enough to make this power and hold together for say a year.? ( one day at a track every month).

So far ive been hunting around web sites for what will be a good overall parts package i can get Dart heads and a air gap manifold from a local sorce, so long as they will do what i need i will get them asap.
also ive been looking at a mildon high volume oil pump, after reading in a article high preasure can cause more harm then good im not sure it will be a good idea.? as far as cam package goes im all up for ideas, anything sugestions for something that will give me good mid to high rpm power would be awsom!

The chassis is actualy rather standard, being a fabricator by trade ive gone quite in depth with the suspention arms and steering has been converted to a rack and pinion from a ford falcon..Ozy made cars are dime a dozen here afterall. all the arms have been remade with chromolly tube and ive machined blocks to re align the ball joints so proper movement is retained since its about 3 1/2 inches off the floor and ive roped nearly 70degrees of lock from it.
Vaugns mustang is super bad ass to by the way i will look for the story on here for sure.
cheers heaps for the help to man!.  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/16/12 07:38 AM

I usually just use a blue-printed stock oil pump in my small-blocks. I try to stay away from the high-pressure or high-volume pumps, as at high rpm you can suck the pan dry and/or have excessive distributor/cam wear issues.

I'd go to the expense of upgrading to a roller camshaft retrofit. You have a much wider cam selection with rollers and can get more agressive without having the high spring pressures a flat tappet of similar specs would require.

The heads and intake sound fine and will work nicely with a stroker.

Wow, 70-degrees of steering lock, that's impressive. You need to post up some photos of those control arms and front suspension mods!

BTW, here is the feature on Vaughn's '69:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredvehicles/1964_1973_mustang/mdmp_1111_1969_need_for_speed_rtr_x_mustang/

His car only has 55 degrees of steering! LOL

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto