• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

66 Mustang 6 cyl head

Raulh
New User
Posted: 12/29/12 01:13 PM

Hi all,
I have been reading that Ford Mustang inline 6 cylinder heads are interchangable.
I have a 1966 Mustang and the head needed to be serviced and doing it here in Germany can be costly and it being an old timer can be a headache. I have the option of buying a used head in the U.S, the head for sale is from a 1966 Mustang and has hydraulic lifters and mine has non-adjustable rocker arms. What will need to be changed or can I use hyd or soilid lifter?

Again as always Thanks!

Raul  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 12/29/12 03:13 PM

just the rocker arms are different. as far as i know...

and those bolt on with a bunch of bolts through a shaft...

you also have sometimes the ability to install a later 200 cylinder head... they made straight six ford 200 motors up through 1981 or so....  at some point in the late 60s or early 70s they changed the bolt pattern on the carb mounting adaptor...   there is a company in las vegas called enginequest that sells an adaptor to allow the use of the later model heads in early applications and keep the early carb..

if you can scratch through the grease.. if you have the head off.. and post a casting number and the suffix... i will look around and see which heads can be interchanged.. i don't think there are a LOT of differences..  but i am not an expert on swap ability of the mid 60s heads...

so hang on tight...

C5DE-H  block
C5DE-B  head
C6DE-A head

1H crank
4 bolt bell housing pattern

66-67
C6DE-A block
C6DE-A head
C7DE-A head

1H crank
6 bolt bellhousing

68-69
C8DE-8
C6DE-A / C8DE-B
C9DE-R / C9DE-M

1H
6 bolt bell

75-80
D8BE-GE block
E1BE-FA head
D5DE-BA head

1H crank
6 bolt bell

81-83
E1BE-BB block
E0BE-BB head
E1BE-CC head

3H
big bellhousing  

Raulh
New User
Posted: 12/30/12 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply and help.
I do not have the head off but can read the numbers on the intake manifold (the head and intake are one). On mine is C6DE-6090-B and the one I am looking into buying is the same C6DE-6090-B except there is an X8 that is seprate from the numbers and letters.

Thanks
Raul  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 12/30/12 12:09 PM

do me a favor...

pick up a tube of hylomar ... smear some on both sides of the head gasket.. spread it with a plastic bondo spreader.. or pull the gasket up through two of them like a squeegee.  this should leave a very thin coat of hylomar.. let it hang for 15 to 30 minutes to let the solvents evaporate..

i have been using hylomar since around 92.. i have not had to replace a gasket since..

with the head off..  you might want to also change the freeze/core plugs in the sides of the block..

you might find these articles helpful for other projects...

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/1946/valve_seat_installation_procedures.aspx

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2586/high_performance_valve_jobs.aspx

these were written for engine rebuilding professionals..  its just knowledge... there are some more on valve guides..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 12/30/12 12:24 PM

this will GUIDE you..

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/2166/valve_guide_reconditioning.aspx

or liners

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/67308/installing_valve_guide_liners.aspx  

Raulh
New User
Posted: 02/07/13 01:50 PM

Hi,
Thanks for you help, I will give it a try.

Raul