• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Shaker500 Radio in 2009 Convertible

jshoults
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 10:13 AM

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can.  During a storm my security system was set off.  I was out of town so it continue to go off til my battery was dead.  I replace the battery and now my radio makes a loud clicking noise for approximately 30 seconds every time I start the car.  Sounds almost like the CD's are stuck.  The radio still works but the CD player does not.  Cannot change, listen or eject CD's.  I've had a friend look at it & they think its the security system within the radio but they have no clue how to fix it.  They mentioned having the security code reset for the radio.  Does any of this make sense?  If so, how can I get it to stop making the clicking noise?

Thanks!
jshoults  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 10:58 AM

engine off.. disconnect the battery again....

wait a minute.. reconnect...    

see if it reboots... properly.... when you turn the key off.. only one of two power connections are shut off to the car stereo..

there are a bunch of other issues... as i don't have one of these cars.. is this equipped with a CD caddy that stores multiples CDs.. can you eject it..

there are radio repair shops out there.. and some parts stores.. have U shaped tools to Extract the radio after you get the surrounding trim off..   you can find a local RADIO repair shop.. not an installer shop at the corner.. and have them examine it...

there is a huge difference between a bunch of guys with a pocket knife and a screw driver who do radio and alarm installations.. and a full fledged radio repair company...

since you say the Cds are stuck.. you might end up needing to remove the radio and carefully examining it to see how to eject the CD... there is usually a way... sometimes with a stiff paper clip like is done on your desk top computer DVD drive..

with a straight face.. if you find a radio repair shop.. walk in with the radio.. ask them if they can fix your cup holder.. it won't come out any more...  then smile at them... let them know that you were just joking...  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 11:15 AM

is the car still under warrantee?  in reading around the web.. similar issues..

other people posted this info...

Actually my cd got stuck in my first broken Shaker500. All I had to do was take the metal cover off the head unit and I could pop my cd back out the front slot by pressing on it with my finger lol.

I have been able to remove cds by pressing load, choosing the slot and loading another cd. Hold on to the cd and it will eject the old cd. Forget reloading anything else. If anyone can recommend a fix on loading other than total replacement, I'd love to hear it.  

MustangMan
Posted: 06/12/13 07:31 AM

Many manufacturers have had issues with multi-disc in-dash units, not just Ford. It must be too much mechanical shuffling around, limit switches, heat, etc. for it to work long term.

Anyway, suggest you disconnect the battery and reconnect like Wayne says and see if it resets. There's no security code on those older Ford radios like a lot of import and european cars have. There is a audio diagnostic mode where you press and hold a couple of buttons and then you can do self tests and get trouble codes to display on the screen. Do a search for that and see if you can find the steps to do it. I'm swamped today, but could try to look it up in the manual in the next couple of days. Finding it via Google might be faster if you're in a hurry.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto