• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

98 v6 tranny issues

98stang7
New User
Posted: 09/23/13 02:21 PM

Hi everyone. I have a 1998 V6 convertible with the t5 5 speed tranny. Just the other day I was cruising at about 70 mph on the highway in 5th and I suddenly heard a violent clashing/grinding sound; at which point I pulled over. At a dead stop with the cluth all the way down, the transmission wouldn't go into ANY gear with the engine running. It was shifting smooth all day long but for the last few weeks I had a slight fluid leak from the tranny case itself. With the car on ramps i saw there was a hairline crack right by the drain plug on the transmission. I tried using JB weld to fix the problem, the leak persisted. I pulled the drain plug out today and absolutely NO fluid came out whatsoever. I scared I might have damaged synchros or gear teeth can some who has experience rebuilding T-5s help me out?! thank you  

waynep712222
New User
Posted: 09/23/13 06:14 PM

if the case is cracked... its time for a DIFFERENT transmission..

several ways to go..

there are old style junk yards... professional dismantlers.. who actually stand behind their used parts... so if you are not happy with it.. bring it back and get another..

there are manual transmission rebuilders..

there are REMAN manual transmissions... available from various sources.. parts stores.. online suppliers..  deal with name brands when possible..  you are better depending on where you live to deal in person.

there are classified online.. please. BUY in person if you are going to go this route..   classified deals come with the warrantee.. money gone if not thrilled..
so don't send money first.. transmission and hand to hand shakes...

there are several articles spread out in the 4 mustang and ford specific magazines here on this site.. and probably more out in some of the other magazines... carcraft popular hotrodding..  maybe over in the minitruck magazine also as some use that transmission..

there are if you are good at google.. rebuilding manual sections online..

when transmissions are operated without fluid.. almost everything inside is going to be damaged..   time to replace.. not repair...   you can open later at your leisure to see what goes on in there...

please... think about replacing the clutch set... and you will want to at least.. replace the hydraulic throw out bearing assembly.. some local chain stores offer lifetime warrantee.   Please... spend a few minutes and bleed the clutch system first with fresh fluid, BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE OLD TRANSMISSION.. so you don't introduce used fluid into the new clutch slave cylinder when you reassemble..  

MustangMan
Posted: 09/24/13 07:50 AM

The only way to know for sure what happened is to remove the trans and take the top cover off and do a visual inspection. You most likely ran dry of fluid, got the gears hot, and broke some teeth off or welded something together.

Also, the '98 does NOT have a hydraulic clutch. The Mustang didn't go hydraulic until 2005 MY. The '94-'04 uses the same cable-style clutch setup as the Fox Mustang era ('79-'93).

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

pepsi1
New User
Posted: 10/10/13 04:39 PM

The main shaft or cluster gear probably broke, due to lack of lubrication.

Bob