• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Accelerator Sticking?

StangFreak67
New User
Posted: 04/13/08 01:57 PM

My '06 GT convertible accelerator sticks to the floor when punching it to the floor. It stays down for 2-10 seconds. I asked Ford Dealership to look into it, but they couldn't recreate and did nothing. Its drive by wire so not sure what the problem is. Dangerous situation I need fixed. Thanks.  

Doral
New User
Posted: 05/11/08 09:16 PM

I also have an 06 GT convertable that had the same problem. I have researched and you are the first person I have found with the same problem. It occurred once and caused and accident - very lucky. Ford had reviewed and found nothing wrong - no codes were activated. I suspect one of two things that could have occured - the floor mat cause the accelerator to stick (have a ford rubber mat over the carpet mat) or the the by wire system failed. Have not happend since, however still concerned about it. I depressed accelerator about half way down and it would not slow down. Have you found anyone else with the problem?  

joejdim
New User
Posted: 05/17/08 05:48 AM

I am an insurance agent in NY. My client was recently involved in an accident with a 2007 Ford Mustang. His statement is simply: He was pulling up to a red light when the accelerator went with out him pushing it down-it was stuck, throwing him into the on coming traffic. He avoided all other vehicles, including a semi truck, but sustained minor damage to to the car when he hit a median.

Ford has no response other to say this is not possible. They refused to acknowledge this problem could exist with fly by wire technology. I found several BBB complaints on the issue and I know my client will be getting an attorney soon for legal action.

I wish you luck but also suggest you get a lawyer, you are not alone. Not sure if you understand because Ford says it can't happen, doesn't mean it didn't. Anything is possible, and yes I believe fly by wire could cause this to happen if there was an electrical issue in the car. Hey the air bags on this car are all ready on recall, electrical issue, why not the accelerator.

Good Luck.  

chris_brg
New User
Posted: 05/17/08 01:37 PM

Ahh the old floor mat in the gas pedal trick. I had a car  that used to do this until i got rid of the darn mat.
Crawl down there and remove the mat. Then push the pedal with your hand a few times to feel for any sticking, binding or slop. If it feels like its sticking at the pivot you can give it a shot of good old wd40. Slop means the bushing is worn (probably not an issue yet on these cars).

Knowing how the drive by wire system works, and the safety systems employed, I would be REALLY surprised
if it caused the problem mentioned by the insurance guy.  
Thanks,

Chris
chris@brgracing.com

AZRanger115
New User
Posted: 08/20/08 07:17 PM

Please contact me. I have an 'of 4.0 that has the same problem (3 times in 24,000 miles. Dealer can't find any cause. Considering lawsuit against Ford. Dealer says they have never heard of this problem. Time to join forces?  rwd@aol.com.  

ltljenn5693
New User
Posted: 11/26/09 12:09 PM

I have no floor mats and it happened to me on 20 November. My forth mustang... my husband bought my current 07' 6cyl convertible less than 45 days ago. I noticed the problem when approaching a stop sign and with no foot on the gas or brake my rpms were still above 3000. of course I didnt realize the severity of the issue until I was spinning out of contro Frown l with my children in the car(the ground was wet)and I was approaching a dead end. Luckily I am an experienced driver and avoided a house and two trees. Ford says nothing is wrong.
My Theory: whomever owned my car before me knew it was quirky and got rid of it. Thanks.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 12/02/09 04:27 PM

whats really important..    report this to the       http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

the national highway traffic safety admin...   office of defect investigation..

toyota just recalled 4 million cars for this same problem...  in toyotas.. it has caused over 12 deaths in accidents including a california highway patrolman in his own car... with his family...  he was on the phone with 911 when he exited the freeway going over 100 and crashed into cross traffic..

toyota is replacing the gas pedals as i understand..  i have not seen the recall paperwork..

its really important... that you practice putting the car in neutral...  thats all it takes to stop this runaway problem...  the motor may rev.. but the rev limiter will stop it from blowing up...   whats important.. that you don't crash into something or someone..

and fill out the paperwork linked above..      you will need your vin number.... your mileage... and the month and year of production off the sticker in the door jam..      

dozens of peoples lives depend on you reporting this defect to the NTHSA...     it takes about 5 minutes to fill it out..

this is the you tube of the 911 call..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSWs4uJzY       do not listen to this if you are squeamish..

if they would have turned the key back one position to shut the engine off   (the key won't turn all the way off unless the gear shifter is in park, only enough to shut off the motor..) .. or pushed the gear shifter to neutral.. they would have regained control and stopped the car...  

practice..  until you get the problem fixed..

OBD2 scan tools that will display live data can also graph the voltage output of the sensors..  if there is a glitch it should be seen on a scan tool...

if it is really sticking down... it could be a mechanical problem with the pedal... or it could be the throttle body assy..

perhaps.. the magazine staff... will take one of their test cars apart and examine  the gas pedal assembly... and the throttle body assy.. if they have one they took off a motor to install a larger version...  see what could be the problem... get photos...   i will try to get some parts from wrecked cars next week...  see if i can find anything wrong...  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 12/02/09 05:42 PM

update.. i just got off the phone with a friend who used to work for a F dealer... he no longer works there do to his skills at finding out the problems with the cars  and just fixing that problem.. instead of changing everything insight... cost the dealer some profit.. warrantee work is profitable..  seems... a lot of the electronics on the gas pedal and the throttle are sourced from japan.  and are used on mazdas also..   one mazda... sitting there in the service bay.. without anybody behind the wheel... had the motor go from idle to the red line... and stay there...    my friend told the customer that the car was unsafe to drive...  and refused to let it leave the shop  on its own...    with the customers permission and written approval.. they replaced the gas pedal assembly and the throttle body assembly..  then they reflashed the computer... and reset the throttle body   ,.... i forget what they called it... but they used the scan tool to set base idle voltages.....  that car was repaired.. and did not return for the rest of the year after it was fixed...  my friend seems to think that it is a problem with the cruise control part of the ECM... and that the switch on the front of the master cylinder might need to be changed also... as that signals the ecm that you have your foot on the brakes...  oh... and the mazda rep.. said there is no problem and that it never happened...  he was then rebutted by the 35 professional techs who worked at that dealer  who all saw it happen..

learn to shift into neutral...  teach your family members how to shift into neutral.... if they are going to drive,  a throttle by wire car..  

bdaz302
New User
Posted: 12/03/09 08:39 PM

Ok although this system is fly by wire the way it works is the pedal acts as a tp sensor. I have been a Ford tech for a while and they have used this system since the 1995 f-superduty with 7.3. The pedal assembly acts as a throttle position sensor only. There is no electronic reason that the assembly would stick. If you look at your pedal the throttle position sensor armature is made of very cheap plastic. I havent heard of the issue yet im just ruling out any electronic interfierence. It has to be the pedal assembly itself sticking. Ford will propably come out with a cheap return spring solution. Whatever is cheaper the lives of a few innocent people or a safety recall. Who knows??  

bbshell
New User
Posted: 01/12/10 07:59 AM

My husband and I have been arguing with Ford for 2 weeks now over this same problem. They keep telling us that they havent had any complaints with any other Mustangs and this was not their problem it was ours. We got a tip from someone that works at a Ford dealership about this website and low and behold there are hundreds of cases that are the same exact as mine.I have a 2007 Ford GT convertiable and a couple weeks ago the accelerator stuck and about landed me and my kids under a semi cattle trailer.I will not let this go until FORD puts a recall on these vehicles. Does someone have to get killed before something gets done about this?  

snakeplissken
New User
Posted: 01/12/10 02:54 PM

Another one? My 03 Cobra was recalled for that. I just bought the part to install myself (Cobra owners are picky) A bent piece of metal meant to hold down the carpet under the pedal,cost me $14.00 bucks.

My prayers go out to the family of the police man that was killed. But I can't understand....PEOPLE!....when you disconnect the motor from the transmission the car will not move!......TAKE IT OUT OF GEAR WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM!, let the motor blow-up, who cares, your life is worth more!!!  

puttputt
New User
Posted: 01/21/10 04:04 PM

I have an 06 Mustang GT , the throttle stuck open 3 times in 6 month, luckily no one was around. Had to shut car off with key and brake to a stop  and put in neutral and car started right up and drove away. It seems like every 2 months this would happen . Taking to Ford garage in the morning and see what they tell me. This is a serious problem and can hurt alot of people. i will keep everyone posted  

421torino
New User
Posted: 01/31/10 09:08 PM

MY 05 MUSTANG GAS PEDAL STUCK FROM DAY 1,THOUGHT IT WAS FLOOR MATS THAT I PUT OVER THE STOCK ONES.HAS STUCK MANY TIMES NOW I PAY CLOSE ATTENTION.GOING TO FORD DEALER AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.LOOKS LIKE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 02/04/10 10:18 PM

everybody take a look at this post offsite...

see if your throttle pedals look like these...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota-gas-pedal-fix-explained-with-exclusive-photos/

BY THE WAY   THE ABOVE LINK IS NOT TO A PICTURE>>   IT IS TO A HUGE 2 PART ARTICLE WITH PHOTOS WHERE THEY TORE A PEDAL APART>>>  
shows how it works.. where is sticks at .. how honda is fixing theirs...  

really important....  for anybody with a drive by wire throttle car...

somewhere... there was a statement from the manufacturer of the sticking pedals... that honda is only 3% of their sales..  where are the rest of the pedals going?????  

irishjh2
New User
Posted: 02/07/10 09:56 AM

It happened to me on 2/2.2006 Mustang GT on the open road.I depressed the pedal and let up,it didn`t.I was going 80 with my feet on the break.I shifted to neutral and was still going 40 with both feet on the break.I was looking for a safe spot to crash but didn`t see one,so I started kicking the pedal.It finally responded.I had gone almost a mile.
When I  got to the garage,the first thing they looked at was the floor mat,that was not near the gas.They checked it out and said everything is OK.Do I feel safe? NO  

123 Last