• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Accelerator Sticking?

Fredrik
New User
Posted: 09/12/12 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info.  I've ordered the pedal assembly which will arrive early next week.

In the meantime I'll try an experiment by driving without the floor mats just to see if it recurs.

Before heading off to work this morning, I sat in the drivers seat and played with the gas pedal and clutch (have a manual). I am using aftermarket rubber mats over the standard carpet mat. I noticed that every time I engaged the clutch, the heel of my left foot did push the mat forward a small bit, and by repeating a number of times I was able to push it so far forward that when I pressed the gas pedal at one point it did catch under the front edge of the mat. It could explain why it stuck when I was doing a double clutch downshift (a little agressively as you do in a GT).  Because my right foot was on the gas pedal and pressing down on the mat, the mat didn't return with the left heel as i raised it from the clutch.

When it got stuck driving yesterday, I was sure the pedal got stuck half way down, but it is possible in the heat of the moment (stuck in traffic, pushing the car to the side) that I was wrong, I am sure the mat was not hooked over the pedal, but maybe it moved as i was getting out of the car.

In any case, it has happened often enough that now without the mats in the car, if it happens again, I can be sure the mats have nothing to do with the problem.

It's a tricky problem to work out.

/Fredrik  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/12/12 04:47 PM

do me a favor...   figure a way to attach the floor mats to the front seat legs... so there is NO way they can slide forward...

you will have a bunch of create ways to attach it to the front legs of the seat...

additional fender washers with a short chain welded to a bent up side.. to attach to some kind of clips to hold the mat back...

you could have something glued to the bottom of the seat end of the mat... so you could attach chain and some loops that hook around the seat legs..

there are drapery rings with some really really strong clips.. that i use the clip on my cell phone case... so i can latch it into my shirt pocket.. so it does not become blended by the radiator cooling fans and fan belts when i bend over a running engine.. i have lost 3 expensive cell phones that way..  warrantee does not cover that kind of damage.. i tried...  but the clips are so strong.. i can hook the case right to my shirt front.. when i don't have a pocket..   i don't know if you have thin enough areas to clip them into.. just an idea..

1003064 15400CLPRN A 400

bungee cords... and tarp clips...

3E1efbe3 D086 4B33 8D3e 807E2874f458 400  

TheAssGirl
New User
Posted: 09/02/13 10:26 AM

I filled out the paperwork and nothing happened.  

TheAssGirl
New User
Posted: 09/02/13 10:26 AM

I am trying to find any more recent complaints about this problem. I filled out a complaint form months ago on the sight and nothing ever happened. I just filled out an additional one since someone else experienced the same thing while driving my car. A neighbor had to take me to emergency and a valet in Las Vegas. Luckily I warn everyone if they have to drive my car but I forgot to mention it to the valet. Scared them both to death. Valet kept apologizing profusely. All he did was turn the car on and it started revving. He never had his foot on the gas or brake. He didn't want me thinking he was showing off. He never wants to park one again. My neighbor thanked me for warning her because otherwise we would have got into a major accident. She will never drive it again. I hope I don't have another emergency. I have no alternative so I have to drive my car. I am however, always on guard knowing that there is this problem. Not knowing it was out there was horrible. I thought I was crazy, or pressing harder than I was, etc. Once I checked the site to file complaints and saw all of the other complaints, I was relieved. I did feel bad for all the people I have found who have spend thousands of dollars trying to find a fix. I am glad I saw that as well otherwise that could have been me. No fix found yet. How many complaints does it take for Ford to acknowledge the problem? Does someone have to die? Just looking at the huge lawsuit right now with Toyota, will it have to become that bad?  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 09/02/13 07:50 PM

replace the pedal assembly...

there is no mechanical linkage between the pedal assembly and the engine..

if the pedal is sticking.. its a mechanical failure with the pedal...

if the engine is revving and no body is touching the pedal.. its probably an electrical issue.. or a mechanical issue at the throttle body...

when you fill out a complaint.. it takes months or years... before anything happens..

contact your local television station.. tell them you have a car that runs away all the time.. their consumer reporter will probably help you get it fixed...  

Godspeed Seven
New User
Posted: 11/28/13 10:29 AM

xxx  

kelsterx2
New User
Posted: 11/28/13 10:37 AM

delete  

kelsterx2
New User
Posted: 11/28/13 10:37 AM

After reading some of these reports I had to chime in. I bought 91 mustang off the showroom floor in 1991.

I punched it down the alley behind a toys r us one day and the throttle stayed stuck, pounded on the peddle, nothing worked, slammed on the brakes and rpm was over 6000 easily. Car was pulling thru brakes, had to release peddle as t was doing nothing to stopping car, slowed me down to maybe 30mph, let go of brakes, car launched began gaining speed very fast. I was coming to an intersection, in an automatic, slammed on brakes once more, nothing was backing it off or helping slow down, last resort, slammed into neutral, cut  wheel all the way left, and was going so fast that car just slid thru attempt to turn it.

hit parked car head on in car dealers lot, after going across intersection. car stayed parked against hit car as it was burning out the tires still. After about 10 sec of parked burn out, turned car off. air bag did not deploy.

skid marks before impact......110 feet of ll four tires completely locked up. i still have pics that i took to prove this, along with the impact car, and pole that was between us. had i not hit the pole or the car headon, i would have been decappeditadted by the horizontal bar that was mirror height.

So much more to this story.......short version...ford sent someone down to investigate. there was a cover up, ford guy told me off record, mustang, bronco, thruderbird sc all use same tps sensor, way to many units for a recall, not gonna happen.

there was a cover up...car went to 2 diff dealers, both deleted codes by unplugging my battery.

This was taken very serious by ford, you should have seen the equipment hooked up to the car as we drove around again trying to simulate wreck.

waaay to much to write......how ended....i sued, a year later settle out of court. I was not injured nor claimed I was, but Ford took notice because i was very fired up about the wreck and wasnt claiming injuries in order to get paid. by claim was car was worthless in value, and i could not sell without letting future owner know.

I had a witness in car with me also. And pics of the wreck, still do. had i ben injured this would have been a very easy injury case to win.  

Read more: http://forums.musclemustangfastfords.com/user/02/reply/9515794/#ixzz2ly0ZQbwu  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/28/13 11:08 PM

wow!!!... on a 91... but i understand it.. and a 91 would NOT Set codes for this...

the current batch of cars is DRIVE BY WIRE...  where there is NO mechanical link between the accelerator pedal.. and the throttle body..  its all electronic controlled..

something caused the throttle to hang open...  

loose throttle blade..

hung up cruise control cable

hung up throttle linkage..

hung up transmission throttle valve linkage..

could the throttle cable casing have jumped out of its holder..

could something under the dash have fallen down and held the cable back...

ford had a big push spring on the accelerator cable.. they also had a return spring on the throttle lever..  to prevent most of these..

debris in the inlet duct could have also gotten into the throttle blades and held them open..  it does not take a lot of throttle opening to create a runaway...

i am not saying it did not happen.. as i have seen all kinds of throttles hang up.. a throttle hang up killed adam petty grand son of richard petty..  did not release and he ran into a wall at full power..  i felt that personally as i am probably a very distant cousin..

the new cars.. have several devices.. one is a spring to resist slight pressure from your foot..  another is a friction device.. so it does not fatigue your foot. i guess i will have to dig out a throttle pedal assembly from the junk yard next time i visit..

the friction device has grooves that mate with similar grooves on the movable pedal side.. so the sides grip slightly..  makes you feel like you are actually pushing against something rather than a spring..

how the computer get the signals..   there are 2 potentiometers... both take 5 volts..

both have a ground connection..

and both have a return voltage to the PCM...

one starts at just over 0.5 volts and goes up to about 4.5 volts as you open the throttle...   the other pot starts at 4.5 volts and drops to 0.5 as you open the throttle .. actually you are not opening the throttle.. you are Requesting the throttle to open..  via the computer..

now you have requested the throttle to open..  the comptuer looks at all the sensors.. the data stream and decides.. yes.. we can open the throttle..

so it starts sending opening commands to the electric motor on the throttle body..

that also has 2 sets of pots.. that send a dual crossing voltages back to the pcm to let it know how far the throttle is open..

i personally don't understand why the throttle is hanging open.. if the accelerator pedal is hanging open.. and signing for power..

or.. if the computer is busy thinking about something else.. and leaves the throttle open.. or if another system like the cruise control is requesting the throttle to open..

the car companies and the EPA HAVE done something about the ability to disconnect the battery and erase the codes..  or the data..  in some 2013 and i thing most 2014 models..  you cannot erase the codes..  even with a full fledged OEM scan tool.. nope..  the codes are there until you complete the drive cycle that allows the test section to be self tested and verified..

the MOST IMPORTANT THING TO LEARN how to do and practice it..

if it starts to accelerate.. push the gear shift into NEUTRAL.. or turn off the key..  if the transmission is NOT in park.. the key won't turn all the way off to where it will lock the steering wheel..  practice this in your car..

make your family members practice this.. with you in the passenger seat in an area where it's safe..

if your car does this.. DON'T ever LET any body drive your car..

get on the computer.. contact the IATN.net .. the what.. its a group of over 25,000 professional automotive techs... that a large percentage will have advanced tools and skills plus all the other members to diagnose your car.. and get to the bottom of the problem..

i know a few members.. and the have an amazing amount of diagnostic equipment..

if you are lucky to have one of these shops nearby.. when they find out you have a car that runs away..  i can almost guarantee you that some of the members will want to examine your car closely..   and there is a chance.. they might not charge you as this has been an issue and the results would help the membership and everybody else..   most will charge you .. so don't expect if for free.. but if i still worked in a shop.. i would do it for free.  screw the bottom line.. lives are at risk..

so.. again.. if you have one that will run away again and again.. .. and you cannot get help from the dealership or manufacturer.. contact the IATN.net see if one of the members could help..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/28/13 11:16 PM

if your accelerator pedal is sticking to the floor...  or hangs up part way down...

its a 10 minute job to replace the pedal assembly.. its only 3 bolts and a wire connection..

replace it.. but keep the old one.. don't let it out of your hands..

many cars you can get NON OEM versions from the auto parts stores..

most people could actually change this with minimal tools.. a few sockets. once you can get under the dash board where its bolted to the firewall..

on most cars.. you will have to look in the factory service manual about performing a throttle relearn procedure..  this varies from model to model and year to year..

if you drive by wire has a single instance of runaway .. i would replace the throttle pedal assembly first anyway..  

Karl Kuehner
New User
Posted: 03/12/14 08:55 AM

I own a '05 Mustang GT, automatic transmission with 68K Miles. For the past three years I have issues with my accelerator sticking.

The first time this happened I would be going at highway speed and when I would let off the gas the car would continue to go at the same speed for a few seconds before the speed would reduce. Then occasionally when pressing on the gas it would lurch forward and the accelerator would jam for a few seconds. I took it to the mechanic and they were able to recreate the problem. After having the car for nearly a week they replaced the gas peddle assembly. The car seemed to run fine after this...but honestly you get a little spooked every time you press on the gas pedal.

The second time was nearly a year after the initial fix. This time I was pulling out of a gas station and gave it some gas to get in sync with the traffic. The car took off at full throttle heading into traffic. I quickly shifted to neutral and turned the car off, and coasted into a shopping center. I continued my drive home and tried to recreate it on my street (dead end street with a couple houses). I pressed hard on the gas pedal and the car stuck at full throttle. By this time I am very good at shifting into neutral. I took the car to a Ford dealer and they were once again able to recreate the problem. $700 later they told me that I had a faulty throttle body. They preformed an ID test and it was giving them a P1270 code. The P1270 code happens when the vehicle has been operated in a manner which caused the engine or vehicle to exceed a calibration limit. According to the Ford mechanic if the Throttle Body senses that the car is dying it will open up the Throttle to full for up to 10 seconds. I felt confident that the car was fixed and drove it home.

It has been 10 months and 3K miles later..... the weather was warm yesterday and I decided to drive my Mustang to work. To be honest, I'm a little timid driving the car, but it is such a great ride I wanted to take it out. On the drive home I pulled on to the street, pushed on the peddle, and the car lurched forward down the road. I shifted into Neural and turned the car off. I coasted for a few blocks and started the car and continued on my way home. When I got to my street I pressed on the pedal and sure enough it took off down my street.... this time when shifting I accidentally put the transmission in reverse, and finally turned the car off. I'm not sure what I did different this time but the brakes weren't working and I was coasting at 5 Miles an hour. I ended up "parking" in the front yard. I went out later that day to move the car and as soon as I started it, the car was in full throttle. It did this twice, on the third time the throttle went back to idling. Calling Ford today...maybe third times a charm. If this doesn't fix it, I will need to get a different ride. If this is an issue with the throttle body it has to be happening to a lot of cars out there.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/12/14 02:05 PM

change the gas pedal assembly.. its only 3 bolts..    there is a sensor on it that has 2 voltage output...  actually there are 6 wires..  2 grounds.. TWO 5 volt wires and two signal returns to the computer..  one half of the sensor starts at 0.5 volts and goes up as the pedal is depressed.. the other starts at 4.5 volts and goes down as the throttle is opened..

i don't have one of these cars to mess with..  but i am going to do more research..

hint.. if you have $100 bucks or so to spend on a scan tool.. and a harbor freight store nearby.. buy one of these..

Harborfreightscantool60694 Zpsc25414d5

you can get into the live data and view the accelerator position sensor voltages.. to see if the pedal  sensor is going bad..   you can also set it up for a manual trigger to record.. it has to be set up each start.  but if it acts up .. you push the button and record several seconds of live data stream..  you can then page back and forth thru it.. to examine what happens to the 2 accelerator pedal position sensor voltages but also the throttle shaft position sensor thats mounted on the throttle body..

i would really want to see this voltage and see if there are any spikes..  like loosing a ground connection..  that might confuse the computer and cause it to command wide open throttle..

thank you for the detailed description.. i am going to dig into the wiring diagrams.. and see if i can trace out the various circuits..  

oh.. dorman does not list that part for the 05 mustang yet...  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/12/14 02:41 PM

there is one more thing to change.. i think i would want to change the clockspring under the steering wheel.. and while i have the wheel off. i would carefully check the cruise control switches..

the clockspring is a coiled ribbon cable that allows electrical signals to be controlled on the steering wheel and hard wired to the rest of the car..

if there is a short.. or an open.. it might cause this..   again.. i have not had one of these cars.. but if you can duplicate the problem.. take a recording of the live data.. you can also paste that data onto this forum by hooking the scan tool to your PC.. so i can review the data stream..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/12/14 05:21 PM

pages 70 thru 74 should be of serious interest to you for the 2005 model year cars

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM508.pdf

you may want to print that entire file so its easier to read..  

Karl Kuehner
New User
Posted: 03/14/14 06:26 AM

I have read these posts, and the stories are very disturbing. I see a lot of people recommending replacing the gas pedal assembly. This was the first thing I did...and still had issues. The last time it happened to me I was in Park and I was just starting the car when it went full throttle and red lined. Since the car was in Park I was able to get down and look at the Gas Pedal. The Pedal was not stuck to the floor, and had slack. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but the last time Ford looked at this they changed the Throttle Body. Maybe third time is a charm...but at this point my Mustang is sitting in the garage until it is fixed.