• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Bullitt bolt on power adders

ParisTNDude
New User
Posted: 07/11/08 06:20 PM

I just bought my 2008 Bullitt and really need to boost power to be totally happy with the car.  I just sold my 2002 Corvette that turned 12.2 at over 118 mph in the quarter and I would like to get the Bullitt in the 12s at least.  It only has 400 miles on it so I haven't run it at the strip yet...needs a little break in first.

The Bullitt has a factory cold air kit and 3:73 gears.  What little I've read thus far, the computer tune is specific to the Bullitt and it may already have been tweeked.  It makes a factory 315 hp.

I'm thinking Diablo Predator computer programmer and a larger throttle body.

Can anyone help with suggestions on first steps.  I only want to do bolt ons, no internal engine mods or cam changes.  HELP!  

BlkBullitt08
New User
Posted: 07/11/08 08:27 PM

I have the same problem bro. I want to do a tune on mine but I dont know if it needs a bullitt specific tuner or if its all the same. The difference is mainly the dual knock sensors that has two programs one for 87 the other for premium. GTs dont have it so would that be an issue with an aftermarket tuner? Would a gt500 throttle body be too big for the motor? The only thing I know is you can put headers it. I dont want to change anything that might take away from it being a bullitt so the rest of the exhaust is staying. Just need it to be a lil faster.  

ParisTNDude
New User
Posted: 07/17/08 04:56 AM

You see the exact issue I have with power bolt-ons. I thought that a Predator Sport programmer would be ok, but I'm not sure that anything other than the factory tune would be any better.  I put a Predator on my Corvette and it honestly improved 1/8th mile ETs by .420 seconds...that's an awesome improvement.  It looks like the factory cold air intake is as good as any I've seen, except when it's time, I'll replace the paper filter with a K&N. It may be that we need to wait until some of the speed parts manufacturers put out some Bullit specific parts.  I thought about the GT 500 TB...I wonder what the size is.  BBKs upgrade is only 62mm.  Do you know the size of the stock TB?  

BlkBullitt08
New User
Posted: 07/17/08 04:39 PM

The stock throttle body size for a gt is a twin 52mm. The gt500s is a twin 65mm. I found one with an adapter kit for about $300. Claims gains of 12hp and 16tq. Doesnt specify if it needs to be reprogrammed but with the touchiness of the new 3v I imagine it would. I hope k&n will make a replacement filter i havent heard. Im sure that there is a better tune than factory. There always is. I would like and inlet replacement for it sans the air silencers under the factory one. I mean do high performance vehicles really need air silencers in the intake tract? I just didnt know if it needs a specific tuner cause of the tune and/or the dual knock sensors. Like I said earlier the only mod I know you can do is headers or other exhaust components. I perfer to keep my exhaust for Bullitt originality. One article I read said there is a complete different exhaust system. Mufflers are obvious but it said there is an improved x-pipe but I looked under mine to check and its an h-pipe. Maybe just a typo or he meant to say h-pipe but they claim its improved. So that leaves only headers. The bullitt has a different front dampner for a higher redline so im not sure if a set of GT pullies would work or not. Just feels like the car is a little held back and I want to open it up!  

bullit08
New User
Posted: 07/19/08 06:08 AM

I own a 08 balck bullitt & I was wondering the same thing!! I want to install headers but would the programing accept them?? does anybody know if ford racing is gonna make a supercharger for it?? and will it clear the strut brace???  

BlkBullitt08
New User
Posted: 07/20/08 06:23 PM

The program will accept headers without any problems. A gt supercharger would physically fit on the motor though the tuning is the only problem I forsee but I doubt itll fit under the strut tower brace.  

Franks2008Bullitt
New User
Posted: 11/26/08 01:58 PM

Hi, is there a replacement K&N filter for the 2008 Bullitt paper Ford one?  

BlkBullitt08
New User
Posted: 12/05/08 07:59 PM

There is not a K&n yet. I contacted them about one and they said they would call as soon as one was availabe. I did notice that the FRPP cold air intake kit for an 08 gt has a blue non paper filter. Im not sure if you can buy a replacement filter for that kid and come up with a better filter.  

The_Guardian
New User
Posted: 12/23/08 01:36 PM

Hi there,

I would like to buy the Bullitt 2008 and I`m wondering if it will sound the same as the original 1968. If not what should I do to get that nice V8 sound? Is that possible? I never owned an American vehicle and my knowledge about it is 0. I owned only BMW`s and my current car is an M5. If ask me about BMW`s I will help you anytime.

Best regards,

The Guardian  

Pix62
New User
Posted: 12/24/08 10:12 PM

I have an 08 Bulitt, I used the SCT tuner from Bren speed with a custom tune. A huge difference in the throttle response of the car, it brings the power curve down to around 2500 rpm . The tuner told me that headpers would get some where around 10hp, The best way to go is with a tune, You might want to check out bama tunes as well.  I spoke with them as well, they seem to know what they are doing as well.

Pix62  

pintoboy
New User
Posted: 12/28/08 12:40 PM

I own Bullitt #3268,green.To date I have installed Pypes Violator mufflers,Pypes shorty headers,BMR solid lower control arms,Steeda control arm lowering brackets,4:30 gears,Steeda lightweight rad.support w/swaybar brackets. I have polished the inlet side of the throttle body and modified my stock shifter for 40% less throw. It also has a Preditor tuner moreso to adjust for the different gears but the tune seems to have made a difference.On the outside,I have installed paint to match quarter window louvers,Agent47 mirrors and a shorty antenna. I have not been to the drags strip "YET" with this car but it honestly feels like it should go mid 12s and with the 4:30s,it still goes over 140mph on the highway! COOL!  

01Bullitt206
New User
Posted: 06/18/09 08:18 AM

rousch supercharger should get u into the 400hp range.  3.73 gear should be right on, u can go for headers back exhaust will free up some power.  Ive seen the Diablo predator do wonders for a 04 Mach 1.  

bullitt-man08
New User
Posted: 06/28/09 07:05 AM

having same problem with upgrade. want a supercharger and be able to keep the factory numbered brace. appreciate if you come into any info you relate....thanks  

bullitt-man08
New User
Posted: 06/28/09 07:22 AM

someone mentioned the brand teckno supercharger might work...don't know for sure though...  

ParisTNDude
New User
Posted: 08/05/09 10:06 PM

Ok, I started this thread and have since installed a few mods.  I now have 5,800 miles on the car a year and two months later.  I changed the shifter to the Hurst unit and it's well worth the work.  The problem is that Ford in their wisdom mounted the front of the shifter to the transmission and the rear to the chassis.  You can imagiine when the engine torques it binds the shifter to some degree resulting in frequent 3rd gear missed shifts.  The Hurst all but cures the problem.  I installed a set of GT 500 wheels and tires hoping traction would improve. They may have helped some, but still slow 60' times. The appearance change was well worth the eBay price of the wheels. I installed a BBK twin 62mm throttle body and can't tell that it helped much. The best mod to date is the addition of Corsa axle back exhaust. I have no idea if there's much of a power increase, but the sound is absolutely awesome...make this mod!!!  I spoke with the Predator guys and they confirmed that the different computer tune on the Bullitt just about maxed the power gains and their unit would add only 3 or 4 HP..so don't go there looking for increases in power. Confused  I am convinced the Paxton supercharger is going to get me where I want to be.  Of course, it can be installed without removing the Bullitt strut tower brace, just waiting for the bucks. Anyone concerned about keeping the Bullitt stock to maintain collecability...if you've looked at the current prices of Bullitts, I don't think they will never gain value. However, nothing I've done couldn't be reversed in a half a day in my garage.  I retain all the original parts.  Do the mods! Laugh