• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

PERFORMANCE MODS: On a 2.8L Inline Six.

Bryan98133
New User
Posted: 05/07/05 11:09 AM

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura with the 170 inline six. I'm trying to restore it to it's original glory. But the inline six with it's one barrel carb is just not doing it for me. Yes yes I know that this is going against what I'm trying to do but I would like to know if there are any performance mods for the inline six. Such as an adaptor plate to go from a one barrel to a two barrel carb. It's a perfectly running engine but it just doesn't have any balls. I don't want anything extreme but I would just like to get up to freeway speed in under a mile. I've already swapped out the two speed tranny to a C-4 and that helped a bit but it still drives like a granny car. HELP ME!!!

Bryan

7seven
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/09/05 08:24 AM

As w/ any performance upgrades, it won't do much good dumping more gas into an engine unless you have more airflow, such as a better intake & exhaust. You'll also benefit even more by upgrading your cam profile & getting a port/valve job on your head. If you don't want to go that far, at least upgrade your intake and exhaust. I don't know if Ford offered a 2-brl carb w/ this engine, but if they did then I'd start there as for as your intake, or check the Edelbrock catalog.

scott98116
New User
Posted: 01/01/09 11:19 AM

FROM GOOGLE OF "Clifford 6=8"
WILL GET:
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=53-0186&Category_Code=F200

WHICH HAS:
53-0186 "6=8 HEADERS" 1964-77 Ford Mustang & Square Body w/ 170/200 cid.  

Code: 53-0186
Price: $359.00
Shipping Weight: 30.00 pounds

Black Ceramic Coated $150.00  
     Silver Ceramic Coated $150.00  

Quantity:    

Fittment: 1964-77 Ford

Mustang/Falcon/Comet/Ranchero/Fairlane/Maverick/Torino w/ 170/200 cid. Description: This is our most popular header, and has been with Clifford Performance for 36 years. It includes the header gasket, port divider and street hookup kit. Average gains on a stock engine are 18-22% when installing the port divider and bolting on this header. We have found great performance gains and a throaty muscle car sound when using 2 1/4" exhaust pipes and dual 3 chamber mufflers. Want more power? Try using our X pipe (Part # 09-0250) and gain 6 to 10% more power!!! Port Divider: Hand File and tack weld this piece of cast into the exhaust port of your cylinder head in 3 places using a N-99 Rod.  

craftymongoose
New User
Posted: 07/24/09 09:54 AM

I am preparing to purchase a 200 inline six (68 model) And already have olans to plumb a set of six single carbs built into one unit from an older motorcycle (90 model) I'm tearing apart the two honda cbr 600 4-packs and building one six-pack. piping shouldn't be bad. aside from fabricating the 6 manifolds, and a support bracket for the carbs. this will give every last horse that you can get from carb work. Remember: tube length times diameter determines power-band. there is a formula somewhere... (probably several)

Hope that gives you some ideas...