• Subscribe to a Magazine
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

I have a S197 and am looking for the best cold air unit.

07boss
User
Posted: 06/16/09 08:54 PM

Looking for the best cold air unit for my stang gt. Any opinions are most appreciated.  

LivingInsane
New User
Posted: 07/08/09 02:48 PM

I baught the jlt... i like it but as for the best... everyone will give u a diff. answer.. i picked the jlt because of the performnce that it gave the gt500 and thought if it gives the gt500 that much... its gotta be good...  

07boss
User
Posted: 07/15/09 07:25 PM

Is the JLT plastic or stainless.  Also how is the appearance? Did u buy the tuner as well. And lastly, have u noticed a difference?
Thanks for the info  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 07/16/09 05:22 AM

I have an 08 GT. I purchased the C&L with the diablo tuner. HUGE difference. My car is mostly stock. All I have done is strut tower braces, pro 5.0 short throw, 3.73's. and the C&L cold air and diablo tuner. I just ran a 13.60 last night in humid 75+ air. The cold air set up made a noticeably difference and definitely helped with the rev limiter frustration. And I agree everyone will have an opinion on whats best. The JLT and the C&L advertise about a 20hp to 30hp gain.

I think it looks great. I got the racer kit not the street kit. Street kit is a bit heavier (due to the cast aluminum)and more expensive but nitrous can be used with it. The race kit is a black plastic with a larger diameter (turbo or super charger friendly) but you have to get the tuner due to it's flow rate but is a bit less. I'm sure they can both be painted to your liking. Either way I would get the tuner to help with rev limiter. The C&L have the fuel, spark rev, and such already pre programed to run optimally so it's a quick plug play and race. Super easy no advanced tech. ability needed. Good luck.  

07boss
User
Posted: 07/16/09 11:12 PM

thanks for the info. have you considered headers for your 08? I have shorty pacesetters on my 07 gt and they give me a little more pedal.  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 07/17/09 07:45 AM

I do plan on headers if I keep it. I read the ford headers and bassani  system put out the better numbers so I will probably head in that direction. The ford headers put out some good numbers and if installed by them will not void warranty. I did the same with the gears ford 3.73's still got the warranty.

Please note I corrected my time and gear set. I was rushing when I posted that after reading other posts that is now all corrected. But it was a 13.60 not 12 anything. Also I was thinking slick but 1" taller tires to get past the line before I rev. limit. It rev limits before the line and I hope the extra inch will get me past the line 3rd gear strong. 3.73 definitely makes for slipper read tires lol. I also understand the one piece aluminum drive shaft makes for better times as well plus weight loss.  

stanger49
New User
Posted: 07/17/09 03:02 PM

I am in the process of deciding on a cold air / throttle body package myself. I have read good things about C&L and Granatelli, but don't know anyone who is running either one. Can anyone share some info on Granatelli?  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 07/21/09 12:34 PM

Stranger if you read my post from the top I am running the C&L race kit with diablo. I have heard good things about the granatelli but I am not running a throttle body as of yet. Another thing to look into is the C&L upper plenum (intake manifold). I could be mistaken but I do believe this magazine did a dyno with the cold air kit, plenum and a throttle body with very impressive results. Might want to an editor for the article name and read it. Best of luck let me know how things go.  

stanger49
New User
Posted: 07/21/09 01:14 PM

I had read the artical on the C&L upper plenum, and if I am not mistaken the gain was 27 hp. I then checked the C&L web site and found they are taking orders, but do not have any available yet. Based on what I have read related to the dyno results on the C&L upper plenum and the Granatelli cold air / twin 62mm throttle body, that's the way I am planning to go, once the upper plenum is available. I would like to make the change at the same time. Thanks for the feedback.  

07boss
User
Posted: 07/23/09 03:51 PM

08blackgt, headers are a pain, not only to put on since there is little clearance, but also clearance for the steering shaft. when/if you do go that route, use stock gaskets and studs.  you have to remove stud behind #7 cylinder though, and kick in a pipe for steering shaft clearance. I am still dealing with it myself, when i get into it it hits, sounds like the car is falling apart. I live in calif and the pacesetter has o2 sensor fitting.  I was told no matter what as long as the fitting is there, smog and warranty will fly.
good luck  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/10/09 08:05 AM

Thanks mmiller. I plan on having ford do it to reassure that it will be warrentied with ford parts and mechanics they can't fight me to much when you make them comment on receipt that it is not warrantied voided.  

BltBillFX
New User
Posted: 08/11/09 07:05 PM

Fellow stangers,  I am new to this forum and hope to contribute along the way, but initially, I have a question.  I have a 2008 Bullitt and just had the Local Ford dealer install the Ford Racing cams and shorty headers.  The dealer sent the car to a local performance shop, who dyno'd and tuned it (SCT SFS3).  The dyno results were quite dissappointing at 283 rwhp.  Unfortunately, I did not get it dyno'd before so I do not know what difference these mods made.  The performance shop guy suggested I get a C&L racer CAI (even though it has the stock Bullitt CAI) adnd the Steeda underpulley.  Claims it'll push the rwhp to over 300.  I have my doubts about switching CAI and asked about the twin 62 mm throttle body, but he pooh poohed it.  Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks very much  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/13/09 08:16 AM

Those dyno numbers do seem a bit off. Problem is there are different types of dyno's  and no set dyno standard from my understanding. Some are high and some give low. The C&L has been very good to me but with cams and headers I am not sure the diablo pretuned by C&L will be a good tune with your set up. It will be fine if you get that installed and have it tuned again on a dyno but the presets wont be good I do not believe. I would contact C&L they are easy to talk to and ask them questions about your set up and what your options are. I hear the under drive pulleys are a great idea and definitely produce. If you go with the throttle body I am not positive but it is not a huge hp gain but maybe with a upper intake like the C&L that might give you a smile. Please let me know either way I am curious of your outcome.  

07boss
User
Posted: 08/17/09 10:58 PM

08blackgt, funny you say about ford dealer install.  i also had ford install my headers as well, and guess what happened? they "forgot" to properly torque the bolts and blasted the fiber gaskets supplied with the headers in the process. the dealer has a problem warranting their work on non-ford parts.  I checked as well about the warranty issue, and as long as the o2 sensor is connected, there is no problem.  If you would like I could walk you through the install process and save you the $ in the process.  Its not difficult, just time consuming.  Let me know  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/19/09 07:00 AM

Well I plan on using the Ford headers. MMFF did an article about best flows and I found I like the ford headers with bassani all the way back to be to my liking. Ford would have to warranty the headers because it is there product. I also had my rear 3.73's from ford and installed from from ford and they noted and said it would be fully warrantied. Granted I could not use the royal purple gear oil it had to be what they supplied but it's all warranty. I will definitely look you up if I change my mind or get to them after my warranty wares off thanks.  

12 Last