• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

I have a S197 and am looking for the best cold air unit.

07boss
User
Posted: 08/19/09 10:17 PM

08blackgt Good luck on the project, your exhaust is going to be sweet sounding, I personally love the little lope the headers provide. By the way, Was there a big difference on the rear end?  I may be venturing that way as well, if there is a payoff.  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/21/09 12:53 PM

The 3.73 were pound for pound one of the better add on's. So be it it would have been nice to shave the dealer coast off install but ford products and ford work = warranty. I am not sure if the 4.11's would have been a better choice or to far for fuel efficiency I average 19.7 city and I am not always easy on the go pedal. It's not always that good but you can get that after you get used to the new fun. If you are doing the work yourself and warranty not an issue I would go 3.90's. Best of luck.  

07boss
User
Posted: 08/21/09 11:49 PM

Thanks for the info, if I went that road I would have the dealer tackle that one as well. Simple bolt on adds and fluid changes are pretty much my max these days.  I also can be heavy footed at times.  you will also when your exhaust is done, very different tone than the other stangs out there.  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/22/09 07:48 AM

Yeah for every add on comes lower mpg. Just the nature of our habit. But do we ever mind? I noticed a difference in my exhaust note when I did the C&L with the 93 oct. tune. I seriously can't wait for the headers back. Course I have been tossing around the idea of the GT500. I would be dum in many way's but I can't get passed the if not now I probably never will lol.  

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/22/09 07:51 AM

I do believe that can be an issue. However I think it is related to the company that makes it. The axle exchange from my research has one of if not the best one's out there. All American made stuff.  

07boss
User
Posted: 08/25/09 09:39 PM

I also wouldn't mind a gt500 as well. Any ideas of a supercharger? if the wifey would loosen the belt some, I would go that route.  Nothing big, prob roush "for warranty purposes" and wouldn't want to go more than 450hp, the 4.6 does have limits.  Also wouldn't mind a 6 speed as well. But for now its just the nickle and dime cosmetic items to finish.  If you dont mind, what else have you done to yours?  

johnjon87
New User
Posted: 08/26/09 09:08 AM

steeda makes the best CAI in my opinion... Im selling my old one that i used for a weeknd and took it off bcuz i put a whipple in there which comes with it. lemme no if ur intrested 450$ for a 600$ cai that was used for 2 days!  

JETBLK98gt
User
Posted: 08/26/09 09:32 AM

man the chat is all over the place but it looks like you have it all figiured out
but i have 2 cents to share daily drivers tha see lil track acction should go no higher than a 3.73 due to rpm and fuel mileage but if engine life and fuel mileage or warranty is not a concern 4.10 are great  
ON THE GAS TILL YOU SEE GOD THEN BRAKE!!!

08blackgt
New User
Posted: 08/26/09 03:00 PM

mmiller I have heard the TVS {i believe that's what it is called without looking for my notes) is a ford warranty item and puts out great power in a factory engine set up. I think it will put out 440 or 460. If not warranty the new edelbrok looks nice and low profile and looks like it leaves room for strut tower brace. The only things I have done is my C&L cold air with the 93 oct. tune 3.73's pro 5.0 shifter and steede strut tower braces. You?

Yes jet your right and yes it's getting a bit tuff to follow lol.  

07boss
User
Posted: 08/28/09 12:54 AM

08blackgt I have eibach springs lowered 1.5", foose 20's, boss striping, sunroof, pacesetter headers, magnaflow after cat, some dressup inside, and trying to squeeze $700 out of the wifey for the cold air.  I also saw the new edelbrock as well, has some dress up to it as well.  well nice typing cars with ya.  

billr814
New User
Posted: 10/15/09 06:44 PM

afe  

flexmiller
New User
Posted: 07/19/13 05:28 PM

Better late than never but I am new to the site. I have a 2005 GT with a FRPP (Ford Racing) Power Upgrade Pkg consisting of a Cold Air Kit/Tune/Mufflers. This is a mild street tune that is emissions/noise legal & offers an increase of 20 rwhp and the tune cleans up the throttle response. FRPP also offers just the Cold Air Kit by itself and you can use an aftermarket tuner ( Steeda offers various tune levels ). The intake tube is plastic ( no metal to get heat-soaked) and the rubber seal over the open filter is perhaps the best designed unit that seals extremely well to the hood - no water gets in and very little dust. My car is driven daily even in the winter and this kit is fantastic while improving my mileage. Goo luck.